Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

APNewsBreak: Feds say Arpaio violated civil rights

AsburySkinsFan

Gee who knew? :silly:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ARIZONA_SHERIFF_CIVIL_RIGHTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

APNewsBreak: Feds say Arpaio violated civil rights

PHOENIX (AP) -- The federal government issued a scathing report Thursday that outlines how Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's office has committed a wide range of civil rights violations against Latinos, including a pattern of racial profiling and discrimination and carrying out heavy-handed immigration patrols based on racially charged citizen complaints.

The report, obtained by The Associated Press ahead of its release, is a result of the U.S. Justice Department's three-year investigation of Arpaio's office amid complaints of racial profiling and a culture of bias at the agency's top level.

The Justice Department's conclusions in the civil probe mark the federal government's harshest rebuke of a national political fixture who has risen to prominence for his immigration crackdowns and became coveted endorsement among candidates in the GOP presidential field.

Apart from the civil rights probe, a federal grand jury also has been investigating Arpaio's office on criminal abuse-of-power allegations since at least December 2009 and is specifically examining the investigative work of the sheriff's anti-public corruption squad.

....continued here.

I hope the government has it wrong and what I just read in that article is all BS. I really do. As a Hispanic myself that really gets my blood boiling.

Yeah, reading the full article really shows that it is pretty bad there, I hope they strip him of his tin star and throw his butt in general population.

Yeah, reading the full article really shows that it is pretty bad there, I hope they strip him of his tin star and throw his butt in general population.

I'd be looking to punish the entire state of Arizona if that proves true. I'd like to see Hispanic leaders call for a boycott of the state including any person or business from that state. They like to discriminate and support it politically... well then by all means let's make Arizona a dirty word.

Especially chilling to me is the DOJ report's conclusion that Arpaio tried to silence,intimidate, or retaliate against critics - including one of his former top aides, a judge, and two county officials - by bringing bogus corruption charges against them. That is a horrible abuse of law enforcement power and should never be tolerated.

Did you notice what he has to do to avoid being sued by the feds?

Two other things about Arpaio.

1) Arpaio's actually a really bad sheriff from a law and order standpoint. His office sits on child molestation charges for years and does nothing. All he cares about is illegal immigrants, and catering to voters who are scared of them.

2) Arpaio has been playing around with the Birthers lately. I expect that we will start hearing about how this federal report is just a scam to force Arpaio to not reveal the truth about Obama's ineligibility to be President. :ols:

2) Arpaio has been playing around with the Birthers lately. I expect that we will start hearing about how this federal report is just a scam to force Arpaio to not reveal the truth about Obama's ineligibility to be President. :ols:

So, you're anticipating an insanity defense?

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2820857/posts

Nothing but threats from Obama because Sheriff Joe is investigating Obama.

Sheriff Joe needs to show the feds who’s boss.

Is this in response to his investigation(may have something good) into Obama’s Birth Certificate
There is no doubt that this is getting a lot of press coverage NOW, because Arpaio is close to making public what his posse has learned about Obama's secret past...

Dummett: "I can say, because it has already been released to the press and I can verify it, that he will produce a report in February, and it will be devastating. I can’t say what it is, but I know what it is.”

Presidential Candidate: Meeting with Sheriff Joe Arpaio Yielded “Devastating” Information

and this...

Alluding Obama could conceivably be an illegal alien, which he said was “not that far off,” Arpaio chided the mainstream media for ignoring the issue...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2817194/posts

This is completely politically motivated. The timing is very suspicious.

Perhaps Arapio should release these “findings” tomorrow.

\

So on and so forth. Free Republic never fails.

• 4 months later...

Justice Dept. plans to sue Sheriff Joe Arpaio

PHOENIX - Federal authorities say they intend to file a lawsuit against Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio and his department over allegations of civil rights violations.

The U.S. Justice Department sent a letter dated Wednesday to lawyers for the Maricopa County sheriff, giving his office "notice of intent to file civil action."

Arpaio's office has been accused of racially profiling Latinos, basing immigration patrols on racially-charged citizen complaints that didn't allege crimes and punishing Hispanic jail inmates for speaking Spanish.

Click on the link for the full article

Bull****.

He's been doing his schtick for years. The timing of this is the relevant piece.

Maybe if it was late summer or fall I'd buy that a little more... The OP from December references a 3 year investigation and planned lawsuit from that time.

Civil action? I'm sorry but this guy has used his office to go after political rivals and the best they can muster is civil action?

It's moments like this when you realize that the government isn't equipped or willing to police itself effectively.

Especially chilling to me is the DOJ report's conclusion that Arpaio tried to silence,intimidate, or retaliate against critics - including one of his former top aides, a judge, and two county officials - by bringing bogus corruption charges against them. That is a horrible abuse of law enforcement power and should never be tolerated.

That is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Arpaio's pet district attorney was just disbarred by the Arizona Supreme Court, which specifically found that he conspired with Arpaio to bring false charges against Arpaio's critics, including judges and city councilmembers, charges that were completely baseless. If that guy turns state's evidence, Arpaio will go to prison.

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 09:32 AM ----------

Election year political maneuvers 101.

You are utterly full of crap on this one. The reason that this happened now is because the Arizona Supreme Court just issued its decision disbarring Arpaio's crony.

Anyone think this would be happening if there was a GOPer in the White House?

Probably not.

What does that say about the GOP? :halo:

The DOJ has become just another appendage in the political process.

I'll point out that there's always been some politics involved.

You think that the decision to pursue federal civil rights cases against Klan members, in the 60's, wasn't political?

Archived