Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Man accused of shooting dog in the face

tds

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/north_carolina/man-accused-of-shooting-dog-in-the-face

PERQUIMANS COUNTY, N.C. (WAVY) - A North Carolina man is facing animal cruelty charges following allegations that he shot his neighbor's dog in the face at point blank range.

Terry Jackson turned himself into the Perquimans County Sheriff's Office at 5 p.m. Dec. 12.

Sheriff Eric Tilley, with the Perquimans County Sheriff's Office, said officers believe Jackson and another man were on Jackson's property on Dec. 10 when Duke, his neighbor's yellow lab, came onto the property. According to Tilley, the dog barked at Jackson and followed him as he walked back to his home, located at 624 Swamp Road.

The man who was with Jackson petted the dog, which was calm.

Tilley said Jackson went into his home, retrieved his shotgun, put the firearm up to Duke's muzzle and fired. Duke was able to run home following the shooting. Jackson claimed that he was afraid of the dog.

Tilliey added there are no leash laws in the county.

Duke was subsequently put down.

**Here's his number for those interested in breaking off this *******.

Edited out by ES Staff

Use your head for something besides a hat rack, would ya.

---------- Post added December-12th-2011 at 06:31 PM ----------

Here's a video his family must have just made.

That video was very sad. Man I hope someone shoots that man in his face.

I hate stories like this. I hate that people are cruel to pets. I hate threads like this (OP's lucky TK got here before me). I hate that some people watch videos like this for morbid titillation. I hate how often people post really stupid **** in threads like this and get themselves banned. Let's try to avoid the last.

I hate stories like this. I hate that people are cruel to pets. I hate threads like this (OP's lucky TK got here before me). I hate that some people watch videos like this for morbid titillation. I hate how often people post really stupid **** in threads like this and get themselves banned. Let's try to avoid the last.

Fixed. Just pissed me off a lil bit.

Oh my Gosh thats ridiculous. Are you kidding me? A shotgun + a Puppy (Labrador), you have to be joking, point blank? Thats some messed up stuff. Lock him up, SEE YA!!! Feel sorry the owners had to see all that blood all over the place etc... A Labrador, "their Dangerous," NOT. Thats so sad

As a lifelong dog lover, I can't begin to explain how sick stories like this make me. I'm not watching the video because I don't need to cry like a little girl. But thanks.

Two of my best friends in my 37 years on this earth were dogs (RIP Princess and Lexi.) And watching one of them leave this world (humanely, whatever the hell that means) as a result of a decision I made was absolutely devastating. I laid on the floor and sobbed as she curled up in my arms and went to sleep. It took all the strength I had to get up, straighten myself up a little, and leave the room, knowing what the second shot was going to do; and that she'd never meet me at the front door again.

Our pets are family members. Living, breathing, loving family members. They're ALWAYS there for us, when no one else is. As such, they deserve our love, respect, and admiration in return. Every dog I've ever had continues to have mine.

It's from this position, as someone who loves animals and especially dogs with a level of affection just short of what I have for my closest human companions, that I read a story like this. But I'll leave that aside for just a moment, and try to look at this from a "nuts and bolts" perspective.

First of all, this jackass was able to leave the "confrontation" and go inside his house. At this point, he's got quite a few options available to him. Call the neighbor and say "Please come get your dog." Or even "Hey, jerkface, come get your dog out of my yard now!"

Failing that, he could have contacted local law enforcement, or animal control. I have to admit I would have hesitated to do that, given some tragic stories I've read, but those options were certainly available to him had he chosen them. (Please don't misunderstand. I believe the overwhelming majority of officers, both police and animal control are good, and well-trained, but you never know when you're going to get that one moron that...well...shoots the dog in the face.)

He also could have said to his buddy who was PETTING this monstrously-aggressive animal, "Hey, he lives in that house right there, could you take him back?" Or he could have just waited until the dog left, or was called by it's owner.

But no. He couldn't do any of those. He saw fit, even though he had safely removed himself from the situation, to go back and execute the dog in a conscious, premeditated way. That's bull**** to the Nth degree. You simply can't do that, and he shouldn't get away with it. I pray that he doesn't.

Now...having said all that. I WILL say that irresponsible dog owners are a MAJOR pet peeve of mine. I can't say that this dog's owner falls into that category. It may well have been a one-time thing. We don't know. But as a runner, I encounter aggressive dogs semi-regularly, and it pisses me off to no end.

I run on public roads. I never step foot into anyone's yard, or even close to it if it can be avoided. And yet I sometimes have to deal with dogs -- to include St. Bernards, Shepherds, and other large dogs -- interfering with my runs. Once, the St. Bernard in question grabbed the jacket I was wearing, and started shaking it like a croc in death throes. And the owner came out and yelled at ME for batting it on the nose and screaming at it like a mad man.

That was the one time I called animal control. I took them a formal letter with my complaint, and the owner was cited. Afterwards, the officer called me and said, "If you ever see that dog out of its yard again, call me, and we'll confiscate it."

Confiscate it? What does that mean? It means they'll take it, label it an aggressive animal, and in all likelihood put it down. And why? Because it's owner is a colossal dip****. Seems fair to me. :rolleyes:

While I appreciated the assistance I received, I couldn't help but let it get under my skin that this animal could potentially be put down because of the actions of an irresponsible owner. I thought about just carrying pepper spray, but there again, I'd be punishing the dog for the actions of the human.

I guess the bottom line is this. The shooter in this case is unequivocally wrong. But dog owners, please keep your animals leashed, or on your property. The risk is too great to the one that actually matters in these cases....the dogs.

I guess the bottom line is this. The shooter in this case is unequivocally wrong. But dog owners, please keep your animals leashed, or on your property. The risk is too great to the one that actually matters in these cases....the dogs.

In other words, protect your animal from really dangerous animals. :(

In other words, protect your animal from really dangerous animals. :(

Yeah, basically.

Most of the things that can happen to your dog if it's not within your control are bad. Cars, wild animals, stupid people. None of them are good for Fido.

This makes me sad and on some level worries me. I have 2 German Shepherds and a fully fenced-in yard. My dogs have never gotten out, and the fence sits 5 feet back from the road on all 3 sides (other side is the neighbor's house, but the fence is still a few feet on my side of the property line). But still, because my dogs bark, because dogs are territorial and I never properly trained them not to, then people in the neighborhood think it's funny to mess with them. I've seen kids at the bus stop right outside my house on the corner of the road come onto my yard and taunt my dogs through the fence. I've seen old women taking a walk THROW ROCKS AT MY DOGS while they're in their own yard 8 feet away from the road she was walking down because, and I quote (because I confronted her immediately) "They were barking at her." I once watched in horror as a little 3 year old girl walked onto my yard while I was on the other end of it (probably 30 yards away) and attempt to pet my barking dog. Thankfully her mother started paying attention at the last second and grabbed her kid and apologized to me for letting her get so close.

But, if in any of those situations my dogs, fenced in 5 feet inside my property line, had bitten anybody, it would have been their fault.

Yes, I know in this story the dog was loose, but this guy also managed to calmly get away from this vicious beast, get a gun, come back, and shoot it point blank while apparently living in sheer terror the entire time. Sure, whatever you say, *******. I keep my dogs on a leash even in places there are no leash laws (unless it's a very obviously dog-friendly place. Like say....a dog park), and I think most owners should. But dude, once you're gotten safely inside your own house, there's no reason to get a gun and go back outside to kill the dog unless it's got your child in it's jaws. And even then, it would probably be a bad idea to shoot because you might hit your kid.

Archived