Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So what happens when your draft crush is drafted by someone else?

NewCliche21

I've never been into college ball. I don't have the time or emotional capacity. I do, however, see that most of you do, and I've asked before what you'd do if someone from your favorite team was drafted by, say, the Cowboys. Do you pull for your alma mater or for your player to do well, even against us? The resounding answer was **** Dallas, which is always the right answer to any question, even if not the one I was asking.

I'm wondering, though, with the ultra-serious draft crushes this year, what will you do when your quarterback goes somewhere else? I want RGIII more than I want my wife to, well, you know, but I also like Tannehill. There's, for some reason, a lot of people who haven't watched Barkley or Jones play and really want them on the team (:pfft:), but some of us are going to be disappointed.

What will you do when your quarterback ends up somewhere else?

Because I have no real attachment other than up until draft day (I don't go to Baylor or A&M or any other school, as UMBC and UMB weren't known for their football teams), I won't really care come kick of 2012. However, for those of you who have been following these kids since Pop Warner, how will you feel?

Once they leave Blacksburg, I am able to quickly forget about them.

Loved Michael Vick in college. Could care less about him now. He is an Eagle. Ditto Darryl Tapp

Kam Chancellor in Seattle? I was hoping we would burn him all game. Josh Morgan in SF? Keep him to 0 catches

Even with guys like D-Hall, Pierson Prealiu, I think of them more as Redskins then Hokies

Happens all the time. We can all argue about the first round picks but it's more frustrating with the 2-4 round picks that really do well for another team. "We could have had this guy instead of another Vinny bust". Of course you do get to come on the board for years and tell everyone how if only the Skins had listened to you............

Loved Michael Vick in college. Could care less about him now. He is an Eagle. Ditto Darryl Tapp

Kam Chancellor in Seattle? I was hoping we would burn him all game. Josh Morgan in SF? Keep him to 0 catches

Even with guys like D-Hall, Pierson Prealiu, I think of them more as Redskins then Hokies

That's the way I feel. Any Memphis (DeAngelo Williams) or MD players that are no longer in the uniform and are in another pro uniform, I want them to fail against us. But, I don't root for them to fail or succeed when they play for another team in the NFL. It's all about the Redskins and nothing more. I see alot of fans in here that hold on to players from their alma maters and the lovefest for them is nausiating to me.

Typically what happens is I watch their fantastic professional careers unfold with other teams while the guy we drafted struggles to find himself in the league.

You guys have no idea how badly I wanted us to draft Patrick Willis in 2007. Instead we ended up with Landry, who isn't bad but I'd rather have Willis sans his current unfortunate injury. I wanted us to pick Greg Jennings in 2006, but that wasn't a draft crush that was just a passing interest.

I did want Carlos Rogers in 2005, but I also wanted Aaron Rogers and I was disappointed when the Packers snatched him up right before us. We would have probably ruined him anyway.

I had desperetly wanted Sean Taylor and NOT Kellen Winslow. It was so awesome when we drafted Taylor.

The 2008 draft was like a nightmare. I didn't think highly of Devin Thomas, I didn't want Comb Kelly because of his degenerative knee condition we all knew about prior to the draft, I didn't even have a single clue that we were drafting a tight end because after all, why would we? Davis was the best player out of the three by far and made a lot more sense as a pick in the long run though.

In 2009 I did want Orakpo badly but I wanted him to be a defensive end in the 4-3 and not a linebacker.

In 2010 I didn't really care which guy we got between Okung and Williams. I felt they were both going to be quality players.

I guess the only one I can really think of where I wanted a player badly and we went another direction was with Patrick Willis. I think that was the season we signed Fletcher also so it wasn't so bad, but I know that a lot of people out there wanted us to take Adrian Peterson instead of Landry. That draft was fairly stacked with defensive talent.

I've definitely wanted some players that the Skins passed on - Maurkice and Mike Pouncey to name two. But once they're gone from a Florida team (not being a Florida native, I pull for all of the Florida schools) and they're not a Redskin, it's more of a "too bad" thought when I see them on another team instead of following them and finding what they do week to week.

I'm kinda the opposite. Unless we're playing the team a Hokie is on (or they're on another NFCE team) I like to see them do well. I woulda loved for the Skins to draft RW and was really lookin forward to seeing how well he would play in the NFL. I was happy for Eddie Royal with his great rookie year. I keep an eye on em, but I don't go out and buy their jerseys or root for their teams.

That being said, I don't sit there hoping the Skins will draft every Hokie and sometimes my draft crushes aren't from VT.

It isn't worth drooling over a prospected QB or player from any college school because they could get drafted by the Redskins and then "WHAM!" he gets a broken leg and is out for the year and never the same again. They could get drafted by another team and the same thing happen. But what I have seen from our great ES posters on here is that half the time the person they want makes no impact until 2 or 3 years down the line. Some do make it but majority don't. The draft is a crap shoot and drafting the right guy for the teams system is what is important. None of the rookie QB's are making that big of an impact in the league except Cam Newton. Ponder is staring but not lighting it up in Minnesota. Andy Dalton is playing very well in Cincinnati and is properly the guy that is play the best outside of Newton. Almost every QB that was drafted last year, and starting, that people clamored for are on bad, losing teams except Dalton. We had a very good draft last year and we should have another good draft. If we happen to get the QB of the future is it going to be a good one or is it going to be another Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, Dante Culpepper, Vince Young, Patrick Ramsey, Trent Green, or John Beck. QB's with talent but not exact fits for the teams that drafted them. They all were above average QB's in College but they could never make their mark on the sport as they were touted as. Heck, Ryan Leaf was suppose to be better than Peyton Manning and that is why the San Diego Chargers selected him#1 overall in that draft. Manning is a Hall of Fame QB with a Super Bowl ring and Ryan Leaf is out of football trying to rebuild his life. The rest are done with football except Young and Beck but it seems like the same will happen with them as the rest. They will have mediocre to below average careers and nothing to really show for it.

I am glad UMBC didn't have a football team. I can be stress free up until draft day and have no attachment to any players. :)

A fellow Retriever! :D U M! B C!

On a side note, I know some people who say they will always remain a fan of the player, but will remain loyal to their pro team no matter what.

For me, I'm only bothered when players from my favorite team are drafted by Dallas, with Philly and the Giants being almost as bad. Being that I'm a Penn State guy, it killed me when the Cowboys took Sean Lee two years ago. Killed me...I loved Sean Lee at Penn State, but he's dead to me now.

I think the toughest, and probably only exception to this rule might be Paul Pozluszny, who was the consumate college player in all respects. An All-American, a major award winner (Butkus and Bednarik) an Academic All-American (in Finance, not some basket weaving major). Posluszny was the kind of student athlete who comes along once a decade if you're lucky, and represents your school in all ways; a fantastic citizen. If he wound up on any of the teams mentioned above, I would be hard pressed to root against him, would probably have to just be silent and neutral about the whole thing.

I might add, he's not Penn State, but the whole perfect student athlete thing above, the reasons Posluszny was so great in my eyes, are the same reasons I'm finding myself drawn more and more to Robert Griffin III.

I actually wouldn't mind any of Luck, Griffin, or Barkley on the team, I guess you could say I have "crushes" on them. My opinion is whoever we get, that's who was best for the team, and the others aren't going to be as good for us as we might think. So I get over it.

Same here. That is why I am so freaking anxious. Just the thought of finally having a good prospect at QB intrigues me.

It seemed like the last two fast running backs that I wanted to play for the Redskins were both drafted by the Cowboys. (Jones and Murray)

I wanted Locker at 10 last year, when the Titans picked him I stood up and cursed at the TV, you kinda are bummed for maybe a few hours, but you get over it and learn to forget you even had a crush on them in the first place, a lot like high school crushes to be honest. I suppose I like Locker, and I don't have a problem with the Titans, so I guess I wouldn't mind seeing him do well as long as it's not at the expense of the Redskins. It hurts more to pass on a prospect and he starts playing lights out for a team behind your pick. I did also want us to put in a 7th rounder or something on Greg McElroy, ES said he was the next Tom Brady and I didn't see the harm in grabbing him in the 7th.

I have a much bigger crush on RG3 this year than I did on Locker or McElroy, by a LONG shot. I think I will be legit depressed if RG3 isn't in a Redskin uniform come April, and thats not a hyperbole.

I don't really get crushes on my college team's players, WVU doesn't really churn out the greatest players anyways. I wouldn't want Geno Smith on the Redskins to be honest, maybe as a backup, I guess I think more logically than emotionally.

I've never been into college ball. I don't have the time or emotional capacity. I do, however, see that most of you do, and I've asked before what you'd do if someone from your favorite team was drafted by, say, the Cowboys. Do you pull for your alma mater or for your player to do well, even against us? The resounding answer was **** Dallas, which is always the right answer to any question, even if not the one I was asking.

I'm wondering, though, with the ultra-serious draft crushes this year, what will you do when your quarterback goes somewhere else? I want RGIII more than I want my wife to, well, you know, but I also like Tannehill. There's, for some reason, a lot of people who haven't watched Barkley or Jones play and really want them on the team (:pfft:), but some of us are going to be disappointed.

What will you do when your quarterback ends up somewhere else?

Because I have no real attachment other than up until draft day (I don't go to Baylor or A&M or any other school, as UMBC and UMB weren't known for their football teams), I won't really care come kick of 2012. However, for those of you who have been following these kids since Pop Warner, how will you feel?

The only reason I am an RG3 guy is that I'm a Baylor grad so I know RG3's game very well but I don't have a draft crush. The other big name QBs I pretty much only know what others have said so I generally refrain from comment on them. I also really am only into the draft because we've sucked recently and by late November we were pretty much out of even salvaging a decent season. College football, especially now that I've got a decent team to root for (I'm pretty sure when RG3 leaves, it'll be back to normal though), has been for the last several years my fall/winter entertainment and the draft is part of it.

My allegiance lies much more heavily towards the Redskins than the Wahoos. I do love Chris Long and Matt Schaub, though watching both of them help beat the Redskins in the past has been quite painful.

Case in point - the Kevin Ogletree / DeAngello Hall trash talk this year before the week 3 game. Hall made the comment about gunning for Romo sits to pee's ribs, which I loved, alothough he was just simply stating the obvious. KO responds something to the affect of, "yeah, what do you expect from a Blacksburg education." My immediate reaction? Ogletree should STFU, as someone who left UVA as a Redshirt Sophomore and was notorious for not giving a **** about our school or going to class. Not only do I now hate him because he's a Cowboy, but even moreso because he has the audacity to talk towards people like he actually represents my school.

Bottom line - if you don the Burgundy and Gold and aren't a total a-hole like Fat Albert, I will defend you until the day I die regardless of where you came from.

EDIT: As for this year, I am completely head over heels for RG3. Everything I read about him makes him the perfect candidate to be the face of our franchise, and his play on the field makes me think we could have the next gamechanging quarterback. Since I'm only 23, the best quarterback I've ever seen play for us is Brad Johnson. I really need this to change.

I would think that the scouts, the GM, and the head coach have backup plans on who they want to draft. But knowing Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan, they will put the team into a excellent position in order to draft the player that they feel the team needs. If RG3 or Matt Barkley will be gone by the 5th pick, then Allen and Shanahan will do whatever they can in order to trade up just so that the Redskins can select either RG3 or Barkley when the time comes. If the Redskins are slated to pick 7th or 8th, then they will definitely trade what they have to in order to land who they ultimately need. Teams who would hold a top 5 selection will always be interested in trading away their pick if they can get good deal in place.

I still root for all my Mountaineers. Love that Chris Nield is a Skin. Hope Robert Sands gets a chance in Cincy, couldn't give a damn about PacMan, hell I even want Noel Devine to tear it up for the Omaha Nighthawks lol. I wish Pat White worked out in the NFL and I really hope we draft Bruce Irvin this year even tho a OLB isn't a need but if he drops it would b good to have that depth. I also hope after we draft our franchise QB this year we draft Geno Smith next year as a backup because I think he has the tools to be successful in this league.

Archived