Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Boston: Celebration penalty costs title

Sticksboi05

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/7327275/celebration-penalty-td-costs-cathedral-high-school-team-title

BOSTON -- A Massachusetts high school lost a state championship game because a player raised his arm in triumph as he ran for what would have been a go-ahead touchdown, and Boston mayor Thomas Menino doesn't like it.

The penalty for the gesture by Cathedral High School quarterback Matthew Owens in Saturday's Division 4A Super Bowl led to the losing team wondering if the referee's decision could be challenged. The state association said Wednesday that it could not.

"I think sometimes these rules are written by frustrated athletes," Menino said from Cathedral, according to Wednesday's Boston Herald. "They never participated in a sport, and they don't know what it is to be excited. You play in a football game, you run for a touchdown, and you do something special."

Blue Hills Regional Technical School athletic director Ed Catabia told The Boston Globe on Sunday that the referee made "a great call, the right call."

"We try and play by the rules, and the rule is 'no celebrating,' " he said.

The referee was enforcing a sportsmanship rule that prohibits players from celebratory or taunting behavior while scoring a touchdown.

Gutless call by the referee.

It sucks but the ref is damned if they do and damned if they don't. The opposing coach would very likely have appealed and made a big deal of it if the call had not been made.

The rules committee should fix the prohibition against celebration, or face situations like this. I think refs can call the difference between taunting and excessive celebration (which should be prohibited), and a harmless act, and the rule could reflect that.

It sucks but the ref is damned if they do and damned if they don't. The opposing coach would very likely have appealed and made a big deal of it if the call had not been made.

I doubt it. Over the kid raising his arm in the air as he is going in for a score? Who wouldn't be excited they just had a huge run to win the State Title? If he was dancing or talking trash on his way in, that's another thing. But to raise your arm in the air?? Definitely not taunting.

Awful call to DECIDE the championship game...I know if I was on the losing team that "won," I wouldn't feel right about the way that my team was decided the victor. At all. As a competitor, you can't be happy w. the outcome of a game of this magnitude when it's decided b/c of a stupid "taunting" rule. What the heck was the kid supposed to do? He was caught up in the moment and only raised his hand...jeez. SMH. Is this what sports are coming to? Shame on the ref for throwing the flag on that. Do any of you honestly think the opposing coach would have raised a stink if no flag was thrown? I don't. If I was the coach of the other team, I wouldn't even accept the trophy. They didn't win.

I doubt it. Over the kid raising his arm in the air as he is going in for a score? Who wouldn't be excited they just had a huge run to win the State Title? If he was dancing or talking trash on his way in, that's another thing. But to raise your arm in the air?? Definitely not taunting.

If the rule says celebration, believe me an opposing coach will scream blue murder.

NFHS had a prohibition on high school girls wearing glitter on their faces for field hockey because some folks said in Southern California it was being used for gang signs. Seriously.

So for a few years, until enough coaches and ADs complained enough about it, girls wearing glitter were not supposed to play field hockey.

No he wouldn't. If he did, he'd just come off as a sore loser.

Did you read the article ...

"Blue Hills Regional Technical School athletic director Ed Catabia told The Boston Globe on Sunday that the referee made "a great call, the right call."

"We try and play by the rules, and the rule is 'no celebrating,' " he said."

ADs and coaches care about the rules, not sportsmanship.

If the rule says celebration, believe me an opposing coach will scream blue murder.

NHFS had a prohibition on high school girls wearing glitter on their faces for field hockey because some folks said in Southern California it was being used for gang signs. Seriously.

So for a few years, until enough coaches and ADs complained enough about it, girls wearing glitter were not supposed to play field hockey.

There's raising your arm in excitement and then there's celebrating. High-stepping your way into the endzone like Deion is celebrating.

Do any of you honestly think the opposing coach would have raised a stink if no flag was thrown? I don't. If I was the coach of the other team, I wouldn't even accept the trophy. They didn't win.

Absolutely the coach would raise a stink. During high stakes games, while the game is going on, coaches want the game officiated according to the rules, not according to common sense or sportsmanship.

Here's another scenario from personal experience. A State final game. With five minutes to go, the operator of the stadium game clock (which is the official time) makes an error causing an additional minute and a few extra seconds to be shown. There are two officials with watches as back up. One official has a problem with their watch - it's out by less than five seconds - but the other knows with 100% certainty to the second what the correct remaining time should be. Everyone else knows the correct time to within a few seconds because the stadium clock was displaying it prior to the error.

By rule the officials are required to ask the coaches which time they want to use: the stadium clock time or the time determined by the officials. The coach who was behind in the game insists on using the stadium clock time which everyone knows to be wrong. Sportsmanship takes a back seat to winning in most high stakes games.

1) Why was that considered taunting when the action wasn't even directed at the opposing team/fans.

2) If I recall correctly, this play did not cost them the game; the interception on the resulting play did.

Had they allowed that TD, they never would have been trying to pass that ball and no interception would have occured.

Here's the play.

2) If I recall correctly, this play did not cost them the game; the interception on the resulting play did.

Wait, are you suggesting that the ref negating the go-ahead touchdown with a borderline penalty call and forcing them to run more plays to score the TD didn't cost them the game, simply because the next play (which shouldn't have had to happen) was an INT?

edit: Skip Bayless could not sounds like more of an idiot in this clip if he tried.

The play happened with over 6 min left in the game. This was a judgement call by the official. Bad judgement? Probably. But this single call did not result in the team losing the state championship. It was just 1 call in a game that had over 100 plays.

No, I am pretty sure that it did. I have to disagree with you here.

1) Why was that considered taunting when the action wasn't even directed at the opposing team/fans.

I don't know what rules they play to, but from the article I think any form of celebration on field is prohibited. The rule is not just about taunting. Maybe it should be.

Archived