Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Boston: Celebration penalty costs title

Sticksboi05

so we can only find out if a celebration is a celebration 'after' it occurs?

is there a list somewhere? say, in the rules?

If i raise my arm at the 25 to the 20 and get tackled at the 11 is it still celebration? or only if i make it in the endzone?

is this "we'll know it when you see it?" kind of rule?

If he ran the ball from the 25 to the 20 and was tackled but passed his single season rushing yards (still 2nd and 5), got up and put his arm up.

Is that still celebrating or do we have to know what its for?

there has got to be a .pdf of the rules, they can't be making this up on the spot can they?

It's not a difficult concept. The rules committee is prohibiting any form of celebration.

Smiling is also a form of celebration....do you think they'd have thrown the flag if he just smiled? No, me either, as such this rule is STILL subjective to interpretation and judgment which means that the ref used bad judgment.

---------- Post added December-9th-2011 at 06:26 PM ----------

so we can only find out if a celebration is a celebration 'after' it occurs?

is there a list somewhere? say, in the rules?

No joke, because unless there is a point by point, gesture by gesture description of EVERY possible celebratory act then it is up to the officials to determine if a gesture qualifies as a penalty....again it is the ref's judgment.

the disagreement is whether or not it should be cut and dry.

Just because you say so doesn't make it so. Case in point, I can see the #9 smiling in your sig, is that smile a celebration or is it smile with the hand up? What if he just puts his hand up and doesn't smile? What if he winks to the ref? It isn't cut and dry.

Just because you say so doesn't make it so. Case in point, I can see the #9 smiling in your sig, is that smile a celebration or is it smile with the hand up? What if he just puts his hand up and doesn't smile? What if he winks to the ref? It isn't cut and dry.

your first sentence is quite ironic.

and your case in point should just be labeled straw man #22 for you. i don't think major harris, 20+ years ago, was playing in this high school league in massachusetts that has adopted a no-celebration rule.

your first sentence is quite ironic.

and your case in point should just be labeled straw man #22 for you. i don't think major harris, 20+ years ago, was playing in this high school league in massachusetts that has adopted a no-celebration rule.

If you believe that me describing hypothetical situations for penalties constitutes a straw man argument, then I don't think it means what you think it means.

If you believe that me describing hypothetical situations for penalties constitutes a straw man argument, then I don't think it means what you think it means.

so major harris, in a college game (different rules, different league, different decade) is not a straw man? red herring? take your pick, whatever it is it's pathetic. :ols:

Archived