Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: When it comes to swagger, in Rex they trust

themurf

I can't remember any of our last half dozen QBs ever converting a 3rd and 22, let alone doing it for the game winning TD. I made jokes when we first signed him last year and even more heading into his first start but I've been 100% behind Rex since I first saw him actually play for us. He's going to throw stupid picks sure but he's also going to make some amazing plays that we really haven't seen from anyone else. I'd stick with him until we can find a worthwhile rookie and get them ready to play.

Disagree.

Moss would be the most consistent maybe.

But Oakland has explosive young talent at WR. Lots of it. We have a nice young TE and not one WR who scares anyone downfield. Please don't say Armstrong.

It takes more then being a downfield threat to make a good receiver.

And even if that is your criteria, as much as you might not like it, Anthony Armstrong when healthy and paired with a QB with a good deep ball is one of the best deep threats in the NFL and the stats bear this out:

2010 44 catches 871 good for 19.4 YPC which is behind only Mike Wallace and DeSeana Jackson.

Last year Moss, Armstrong and Gaffney were top 30 in yards none of Oaklands receivers were top 30.

This year, right now Gaffney is just outside top 30 in catches ahead of any Oakland receiver as is Fred Davis who is also 25th in yards.

And if Tana was healthy he would be undoubtedly be higher then Gaffney is catches and yards.

Oakland has a young receiving corps but I don't see how that makes them better i.e. more productive then ours.

I agree about the talent level, Moss and Davis would easily be the best receivers on their team.

I think you've got to give credit to their offensive staff.

They choose the philosophy/scheme and it get the most out of their talent.

Even if you look at their OL wasn't that much better then ours last year, they almost gave up as many sacks in fewer attempts/dropbacks.

But their scheme and execution on offense has helped cut down on sacks and has produced an offense that is much better coordinated then our own.

And for a large part of the season they were doing it with a QB that we casted off.

---------- Post added December-3rd-2011 at 05:15 PM ----------

I agree that Campbell is the same player, a decent QB that hasn't reached his potential.

I still say that Campbell last year in Washington was the best year of his career and a remarkable year when you think about how little talent that team had on the OL and RB and HC/OC.

Of course. Campbell got better every year he was here. His yards per attempt went up every year he was here and he protected the football. I feel bad that Oakland abandoned him when he got hurt and turned to Carson Palmer but it seems to be working out for them. I wonder where he'll end up next but it's been the story of his career - new coordinators/coaches every year and teams abandoning him. He's an extremely classy guy and an average quarterback that's got heart and leads by example, I hope he finds some success and redemption somewhere as long as it's not against us.

What was Shanny thinking when he benched Rex when he did? Well, IMO some of our memories are short, per my post on this thread, Rex played three games in a row as bad as he played today -- then he was sat down. It wasn't just a bad game against the Eagles and the rest was fine.

The Seattle game if I recall was his 2nd best game in his whole CAREER statistically or close to that -- it wasn't a typical Rex, game, but an atypical one. The best I'll say about Rex is he's streaky and when he is good, he's good, and I am not shy to say so, I thought he played very well against Seattle. But he's ranked statistically around the bottom of the NFL because on the aggregate on balance IMO he's more inclined to play poorly than he is to play well. The typical Rex game is somewhere around 50-55% completion rate and a low 70 QB rating -- and heck yeah a rookie Qb like a Christian Ponder or Dalton type i think can come in during their rookie season and play better.

Aside from Rex, don't get why they stopped using Helu much. and Santana so so game, two bad drops.

Please tell me Rex will not be here next season.

Not even as a back-up or PS player; makes a handful of good plays and a truckload of bone headed plays; I wanna smack that ****ed up smart-ass smirk right off his face; he looks as if he could care less, as him and Kyle jerk each other on the sideline. Send Kyle packing too; Mike, you're NOT gonna win with him as OC...

Rex is capable of swagger, and equally as capable of suck. I don't know why folks are surprised when he has a bad game. Then continue to be surprised when he has a good one.

See, he's set up to have an awesome day next week and beat the Pats ;)

Honestly I can only take 4 more games of the Rexcoaster. I'm done. Makes you so happy then so sad. Can't do it. Nerves can't take it. Start the rookie.

Rex is capable of swagger, and equally as capable of suck. I don't know why folks are surprised when he has a bad game. Then continue to be surprised when he has a good one.

See, he's set up to have an awesome day next week and beat the Pats ;)

Honestly I can only take 4 more games of the Rexcoaster. I'm done. Makes you so happy then so sad. Can't do it. Nerves can't take it. Start the rookie.

Agree. He's a feast or famine QB. And IMO more famine then feast and the stats show that.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 06:21 PM ----------

Rex wasn't great but the play-calling killed him. Rex isn't good enough to win with if the Defense knows he's throwing every down.

Baffling why they gave up on the run in the 2nd quarter.

Yeah i was actually OK with Kyle for a long time but am starting to buy into the idea that he's Andy Reid Jr, not Mike Shanahan Jr. Pass, pass pass. He game plans often like we got Tom Brady under center.

Of course. Campbell got better every year he was here. His yards per attempt went up every year he was here and he protected the football. I feel bad that Oakland abandoned him when he got hurt and turned to Carson Palmer but it seems to be working out for them. I wonder where he'll end up next but it's been the story of his career - new coordinators/coaches every year and teams abandoning him. He's an extremely classy guy and an average quarterback that's got heart and leads by example, I hope he finds some success and redemption somewhere as long as it's not against us.
abandoned him? He broke his collarbone and wasn't returning for the season.

Rex wasn't great but the play-calling killed him. Rex isn't good enough to win with if the Defense knows he's throwing every down.

Baffling why they gave up on the run in the 2nd quarter.

The play calling today, with the exception of the opening drive, absolutely sucked! KYLE!

Rex was the combination of good Rex, and evil Rex today. He obviously wasn't as sharp as last week. But when your O.C. calls THREE PASS PLAYS ON THE FIVE YARD LINE in a row, and you can't score a T.D? Well .. that's squarely on the play caller! Especially when you had success earlier with #29 and then you all but bench him!

Kyle is like a kid with A.D.D. and a bucketload of candy! I swear .. his daddy needs to sit his ass down and tell him to stop the **** or he's demoted to waterboy!

abandoned him? He broke his collarbone and wasn't returning for the season.

Campbell is actually throwing again and will be healthy enough to play in another week, maybe two. But given when he was hurt, yes, his season was pretty much over and the Raiders needed to get somebody. But given that the Raiders seem to have started to turn the corner and he's had more success their than any QB they've had in quite some time, both he and Oakland had started to feel like he was the guy. Two days after he gets hurt they gave up A TON to get Carson Palmer, basically signifying that no matter how well/poorly Carson played, they were done with Campbell. Definition of insult to injury.

Considering their record, I understand wanting to go out and get the best thing available. But I'm talking about abandoning him long term as well as short term because I'm sure before being injured, Campbell was feeling pretty good about re-signing in Oakland and settling in there.

Let's make Rex run the ball more, so's we can emulate Denver's success.
You're actually right.

But to emulate Denver's plan with our personnelle we need to let our running backs run the ball more, a lot more.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 11:55 AM ----------

Campbell is actually throwing again and will be healthy enough to play in another week, maybe two. But given when he was hurt, yes, his season was pretty much over and the Raiders needed to get somebody. But given that the Raiders seem to have started to turn the corner and he's had more success their than any QB they've had in quite some time, both he and Oakland had started to feel like he was the guy. Two days after he gets hurt they gave up A TON to get Carson Palmer, basically signifying that no matter how well/poorly Carson played, they were done with Campbell. Definition of insult to injury.

Considering their record, I understand wanting to go out and get the best thing available. But I'm talking about abandoning him long term as well as short term because I'm sure before being injured, Campbell was feeling pretty good about re-signing in Oakland and settling in there.

When you have Kyle Boller as the back-up QB and you think your starter is done for the season, I understand how the Raiders may have had a 'panic' moment.

The compensation they gave up was insane.

If Campbell is actually gonna be healthy this year and being that Martz is a Coryell guy and Campbell is familiar with Coryell..........shot in the dark I know

Rex is horrible and shot, he absolutly has no pocket awareness, and his accuracy is brutal, for every good pass there is an equally bad one, he spends more time looking for someone to hit him than someone to throw to downfield, I thought Shanny should have yanked him for Beck in the 4th, not because Beck is any better I still wonder what he's looking at downfield but because he does add the mobility factor in which the defense may not be prepaired for at that point in the game, I also think both Beck and Gross may be better when they have had time on the bench to forget how bad they are.

Rex is horrible and shot' date=' he absolutly has no pocket awareness, and his accuracy is brutal, for every good pass there is an equally bad one, he spends more time looking for someone to hit him than someone to throw to downfield, I thought Shanny should have yanked him for Beck in the 4th, not because Beck is any better I still wonder what he's looking at downfield but because he does add the mobility factor in which the defense may not be prepaired for at that point in the game, I also think both Beck and Gross may be better when they have had time on the bench to forget how bad they are.[/quote']

Don't be surprised if no one shares your sentiments on this one.

Archived