Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: When it comes to swagger, in Rex they trust

themurf

6422756453_b0c11a9a8e.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Look, I understand why Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan felt obligated to switch from Rex Grossman to John Beck after his starting quarterback threw four interceptions in a single game.

When an offensively-challenged offense like Washington’s is that careless with the football, there’s zero chance of victory.

But my biggest issue with Shanahan’s decision was that it lasted more than just the fourth quarter against Philadelphia. Turning to Beck to close out one game was fine, but sticking with a guy who has as many NFL victories as I do … well … hindsight or not, that was a stupid decision.

Beck entered our lives and continued to play exactly as Beck has always played – mediocre or worse.

The Redskins offense went from bad to worse under Beck (scoring just 31 points in three games), and the season was effectively lost during that pitiful stretch of football.

Had Shanahan stuck with The Rex Cannon the week after his four-interception performance, I feel completely confident in saying this season would have played out very differently.

I’m not saying Washington would have been on a six-game winning streak rather than dropping six in a row. I just believe that Grossman has shown an ability throughout his career to bounce back from awful outings.

Let me put it this way – the whole Good Rex/Bad Rex conundrum only works if/when Grossman follows up a stink bomb with an above average performance.

Well, talk to any Chicago Bears fan and they’ll tell you that during his time there, Grossman was capable of throwing three touchdowns or three interceptions any given Sunday. It’s why he’s lasted in the league this long (and why he’s also so maddening, at times, to those who cheer for his teams).

The absolute best time to have him behind center would have been the week after the Eagles loss, when Grossman could have used some of the “Rexual healing” against Carolina.

But don’t take my word for it. Listen to those who have known and worked with him for years.

“Even when he does struggle, he comes out there with confidence and he doesn’t look in the past,” said offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan of Grossman. “He plays one play at a time and he’s a guy who you believe in for that reason. That’s why the guys follow him.”

And here’s what the elder Shanahan had to say this week about Sexy Rexy.

“Regardless, if you’re up or down, Rex is pretty consistent,” said Mike Shanahan. “He’s got a good attitude. He’s got a lot of belief in not only himself, but the supporting cast. He’s a leader out there.”

The ninth-year pro is generously listed as 6-foot-1 and 225 lbs., though I’d be surprised if he’s actually that tall. Anyone who has ever crossed paths with him off the field understands why tight end Fred Davis joked earlier this year that Grossman could probably stand to do some P90X – because the guy is anything but physically imposing.

And yet, he’s the player – more than anyone else on offense – that gives this team its identity. When he’s in a rhythm, everyone else feeds off of him.

“Out there on the field he’s calm and confident,” said receiver Anthony Armstrong. “He believes in the plays that are called and we have complete confidence that he’s going to make the throws. He’s not an elected captain on this team, but he’s still someone we look to lead us on offense.”

In the days leading up to the Miami game, Grossman split snaps with Beck during practice. Since then though, he’s regained the starting job and done everything possible to ensure Beck doesn’t go anywhere near the field again.

In his last two games, Grossman has completed 51 of 70 passes for 606 yards with four touchdowns and three interceptions. Any time a quarterback is completing nearly 73 percent of his passes and has a QB rating of 100.0, he’s doing something right.

Grossman was at his best this past Sunday when he sparked a comeback in Seattle even though the Redskins trailed by double digits in the fourth quarter of a game being played in one of the loudest venues the NFL has to offer.

Click here for the full article.

its very frustrating having grossman as our qb.. i love to hate him, and hate to love him. how can someone be so good and so bad at the same time. if he can just limit his interceptions he could be a solid qb. but i dont think he ever will. this is who he is, but hes the best out there right now. he knows the system very well, and i think would be a good backup to a rookie qb next year.

Murf, I love you but even Shanny has said there was no way Rex could have played the Panther or Bills game because of illness.

Rex got pneumonia after he got benched. So yes, we wouldn't have been able to play in those two games, but I don't think that Shanny benched him because he knew he was about to get sick....

I just can't help it. I actually like Rex as our quarterback. He does have that swagger and confidence about himself that I have not seen in a quarterback since I was old enough to know what's going on. His interceptions look bad at times, but via the eyeball test, if you watch him play, Rex is pretty damn good in this offense. Not average, not solid - he's damn good. He will never eliminate his turnover woes and there is nothing he can do about his height (his two biggest detriments) which is why we will need to find someone else to ultimately replace him, but I enjoy watching him play. He's the only quarterback I've seen us put out there that I am consistently excited to watch the next play because I expect positive yards and when he throws the ball downfield, I actually expect a completion. With everyone else we've trotted out there it's like, "I can't wait to see this wormburner/3 yard pass." With Rex, our offense moves and has a great tempo. Believe it or not, Rex is a threat to the defense. He just needs to get better at setting up the deep ball rather than throwing it just because it is there. But even then, the confidence he has both in himself to make the throw and in the receiver to make the play - I simply cannot condemn him for it.

Rex got pneumonia after he got benched. So yes, we wouldn't have been able to play in those two games, but I don't think that Shanny benched him because he knew he was about to get sick....

No the point is it delayed him returning to the field. I wanted to see what Beck had, well I saw it, I know why Shanny went back to Rex. Rex gave the team the best chance to win. Actually going out on a limb here(not really)if the OL were better Grossman could have had this team in the hunt for the NFCE sans the flu/bronchitis.

No the point is it delayed him returning to the field. I wanted to see what Beck had, well I saw it, I know why Shanny went back to Rex. Rex gave the team the best chance to win. Actually going out on a limb here(not really)if the OL were better Grossman could have had this team in the hunt for the NFCE sans the flu/bronchitis.

I agree with that.

I wanted to see what Beck had ...

Look, I don't play the "I told you so" card very often, but if you had listen to people like me who saw Beck regularly during training camp, you would have known he's not any good at football. Do I know more than Mike Shanahan? Of course not. But did I see the guy struggle with routine throws to uncovered receivers throughout camp? Absolutely.

As far as Rex Grossman goes, he's a solid back-up quarterback on a team that doesn't have a starter. Next season, if we're lucky, he'll be backing up Robert Griffin III or another rookie and order will have been restored to the universe.

He does have a swagger and confidence.

I think he's a great fit for the offense. He does make dumb mistakes. I too believe that if he was not sick and the benching did not last more then the 4th quarter of the Iggles game, this team could very well be in the playoff hunt.

Love em or hate em, this offense runs pretty damn good with him in there. Draft a QB and bring back Rex for another year.

People will never make Rex feel uncomfortable about football or his playing ability.

I like his attitude and I like when he plays well, but, he's a bad QB.

I don't care if Rex would have helped us win 1-2 more games than Beck ..we still lost to Dallas and would still be a below .500 team IMO.

There is definitely more excitement when Rex plays, but not necessarily more victories.

I don't care if Rex would have helped us win 1-2 more games than Beck ..we still lost to Dallas and would still be a below .500 team IMO.

There is definitely more excitement when Rex plays, but not necessarily more victories.

Somebody who gets it.

I like Rex. I liked him starting this year and I still like him now. He by far gives us the best chance to win. It's a shame he turns the ball over so much, because if he could bring the TO's down, he would be a very good QB. I mean, you have to consider what he's working with on offense as well, with the recievers and o-line. These ARE contributing factors and with a better supporting cast, I'm sure his play would improve as well. I also think if he would've played every game this year, we could possibly be fighting for the division title down the stretch, (that and a better kicker).

Either way, I'm not saying he's the QB of the future for the skins, but I think we have at least found our "bridge guy" that Donovan was supposed to be until we draft a QB and he's ready to play.

John Beck has never won an NFL game. Never. Never ever. I repeat -- he has ZERO career wins.

In related news, Rex Grossman is 4-4 this season. That's a lot better than zero.

So while I am usually a fan of the Dark Knight, I'm going to have to side with The Rex Cannon and brush your misguided negativity away:

6373727319_afb3aace1d.jpg

I've always liked Rex. He does a lot of stupid stuff and gets knocked down for it, but he always gets back up and keeps fighting. Fans are always hypercritical of the QB on their team, then praise other QBs based on stats on highlights. Rex is better than a lot of the guys out there the fans say/said we should have brought in.

Rex has been pretty great the past 3 games. Even against Miami, he was making some big-time throws without the benefit of a running game or any skill player worth a damn.

I hope he keeps playing well and is back in some capacity next year. We'll probably never find out, but I do wonder what Rex would look like surrounded by great playmakers. He never had them here or in Chicago.

I've flagellated myself to gain absolution for the sin of backing Beckgruber. Rex makes me want to slam a fifth of Jack, but Beck made me want to jump off a bridge.

Now, I wonder if it will be good to keep Rex, and let the young QB (whoever he is) develop for a period, or let both of these yahoos go and throw the rook in. I am now leaning towards keeping Rex and letting the new 'chise QB learn for 6-16 games.

And I still contend Rex was starting to get ill at the time of the Philly game. Not totally saying that's why he sucked that day, but I think it played a part.

I've flagellated myself to gain absolution for the sin of backing Beckgruber. Rex makes me want to slam a fifth of Jack, but Beck made me want to jump off a bridge.

Now, I wonder if it will be good to keep Rex, and let the young QB (whoever he is) develop for a period, or let both of these yahoos go and throw the rook in. I am now leaning towards keeping Rex and letting the new 'chise QB learn for 6-16 games.

Hell, if we add some pieces on offense next year and have the some of the young guys step it up, I'd like to see Rex cause a little bit of a QB contraversy next year between him and the new guy. A luxury we haven't had in some time. Here's to wishful thinking, haha.

5-6 or 6-5 right now with 1-2 more wins. Which puts us right in the mix for the division title or wild card.

Fans are always hypercritical of the QB on their team, then praise other QBs based on stats on highlights. Rex is better than a lot of the guys out there the fans say/said we should have brought in.

I'm beginning to realize this isn't just how fans, especially the ones on here, feel about QB's. This seems to be a pattern/trend that many people on Extremeskins apply to all of our players. Right now it seems Orakpo is the most popular victim line of thinking.

It is unfortunate that Grossman is not getting the opportunity to develop a rapport with Hankerson right now. I'm hoping Niles Paul comes back health this week or next and gets some reps in the passing game in addition to blocking.

Archived