Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: When it comes to swagger, in Rex they trust

themurf

I do disagree about this team offensively. Hankerson looks very promising, I love that kid. Helu also looks promising..but we need more. The teams that are really competing have serious talent..I'm not sure what teams are doing it with average talent 'across the board".

You can be in the mix with solid talent and excellent QB play, but not really a threat. You don't need top 5 talent in every spot, you just need more talent than what we currently have...otherwise we would have more wins.

**Edit** Can I say the word talent any more than I did in this post? I apologize for being redundant.

Right, but you're simply confirming what I'm saying. I agree that we probably need a little more firepower on offense in terms of skill positions to go with a quarterback and some upgrades on the line. But you're probably not going to get all that in one more offseason. Do we want to just contend for a division title next year but not really be a deep play team? No, preferably we would be a superbowl contender. But that's probably not going to happen by next year. My point is simply that realistic expectations lead me to believe with the pieces we have right now, plus getting some guys back healthy, plus another solid draft/offseason (focusing on offense) we will be ready to seriously contend in this division next year.

By 2013, yes, we need to have a guy or two on offense (aside from quarterback) who is considered "elite." Maybe Davis or Hankerson will reach that level in another year or two. So I agree, in the long run we need more starpower on offense, but I'm looking at what we have right now on our roster and saying with a few minor additions and getting healthy, our defense is good enough to carry a mediocre offense to a division title. And the offense isn't that far behind.

I think that Rex was the perfect fit for this season. We knew we weren't gonna be very good, but at least he's made it entertaining. Not only that, but he has carried himself like a Redskin the entire time. Kudos to the Cannon.

I agree with that...I said that when he was benched. Beck is gonna suck...Rex might suck too but at least he's fun to watch.

This season would have had zero entertainment value if not for him.

Been a rex fan ever since 2005, when he was like a shot of adrenaline to the bears passing game. Give me a Rex win or lose but go all out kindof qb over kyle orton check down to death any day. Love the way he just shrugs off media crticism it seems like they want him to fail and be this big joke because he has a funny name but it never gets to him.

That being said, it can be tough being a fan of his because every time you think he's turned a corner he has a bad game and tbe haters come back in full force. This season is like deja veiw to the bears 2007 season (benched, returns plays awsome) hopefully doesnt end the same way (injured by Redskins)

Why? You don't think a rookie or FA QB could perform better then 25th in total QBR or 28th DVOA? Both are stats/metrics that try to evaluate the QB apart from the team around them.

Because there are certainly FA and rookie QBs that are above 25th in QBR and 28th in DVOA.

I think a rookie QB would perform more like Beck did if he had the same team around him. I'm talking about when the Skins couldn't run the ball at all and had Jabar as their number one.

But hopefully we'll never have to see any Redskins QB in that situation again.

I think a rookie QB would perform more like Beck did if he had the same team around him. I'm talking about when the Skins couldn't run the ball at all and had Jabar as their number one.

But hopefully we'll never have to see any Redskins QB in that situation again.

I agree.

And unlike Beck hopefully a rookie QB will be allowed to get to face some of the weaker defenses when the team is actually at full strength and be allowed to weather the storm after they face some of the tougher defenses without the benefit of balanced playcalling.

But, that convo is a shift in the topic which was whether a FA or rookie could play better then Rex.

And to play better Rex means the have to be slightly better then league worst. ;)

No question Beck found himself in a tough situation, but pretty much all the negatives he showed here in practice, preseason, and in the regular season were the same he showed elsewhere. And at 30 years old and on his third team... well, he's never going to get the time from a team to see if he can improve. Suspect he'll be out of the league next year. Tough game, tough business.

No question Beck found himself in a tough situation, but pretty much all the negatives he showed here in practice, preseason, and in the regular season were the same he showed elsewhere. And at 30 years old and on his third team... well, he's never going to get the time from a team to see if he can improve. Suspect he'll be out of the league next year. Tough game, tough business.
All that not withstanding you're using Beck to shift from my question which was:

Why do you think a rookie or FA QB wouldn't do better than Rex did this year, with the same level of talent around him?

And to better frame that question Rex is: 25th in total QBR or 28th DVOA both are metrics that aim to isolate QB play from the team.

There are rookies and FA QB that have out performed 25th in QBR and 28th in DVOA.

All that not withstanding you're using Beck to shift from my question which was:

Why do you think a rookie or FA QB wouldn't do better than Rex did this year, with the same level of talent around him?

And to better frame that question Rex is: 25th in total QBR or 28th DVOA both are metrics that aim to isolate QB play from the team.

There are rookies and FA QB that have out performed 25th in QBR and 28th in DVOA.

Hey, maybe you're right. Rex certainly has had some bad games this year, which no doubt effected his QBR and DVOA ratings.

He's also had some good games, with big plays at key moments.

He'll be back next year, either as a backup or a bridge. The Beck experiment is over and Shanny knows what he has in Rex, for better and worse.

Again, as I pointed out in another thread, while I share most peoples desire for a long term solution at QB I don't understand the venom some fans here have for Rex.

Has he had poor games? A couple yes. But dating back to last year he has put up okay numbers and has a 5-6 record. This from a guy who was brought in last year to be a backup. A guy who cost us nothing in draft picks. A guy who has played on a 1 year contract both seasons with a modest salary. A guy who has never complained or caused drama. A guy who isn't a look at me douche like others. And a guy that clearly his teammates love.

Yet some here go into convolutions at even the idea that Rex return next year as a bridge or backup.

Bizarre

I do disagree about this team offensively. Hankerson looks very promising, I love that kid. Helu also looks promising..but we need more. The teams that are really competing have serious talent..I'm not sure what teams are doing it with average talent 'across the board".

You can be in the mix with solid talent and excellent QB play, but not really a threat. You don't need top 5 talent in every spot, you just need more talent than what we currently have...otherwise we would have more wins

**Edit** Can I say the word talent any more than I did in this post? I apologize for being redundant.

rex has shown enough for me to be happy with him as our transitional starter/backup for next year. same as this offseason, there just isnt anyone out there that will cost us nothing in draft picks and will be more comfortable and better able to run our system than rex.

i dont think people realize just how bad our offense is in terms of talent. just look at other teams... in terms of offenses, i cant watch a game without noticing how much faster, stronger, and more agile other teams are across the board. most teams have a couple of players that need to be gameplanned for... we have maybe fred davis.

having average talent "across the board" just isnt going to work in the nfl. the easiest way to fix that, is with great qb play, which we will be addressing in the draft.

and barring a great rookie year from said qb, it's going to take another season or two for us to have a good offense. things are already getting better, with the maturation of our youngsters and the addition of depth, but we still need another year or two of drafting before our offense will realistically be up to par.

Rex got pneumonia after he got benched. So yes, we wouldn't have been able to play in those two games, but I don't think that Shanny benched him because he knew he was about to get sick....

Rex was not on the sidelines at the Carolina game because Rex was so sick that Rex had to have an IV. He was checked into a Charlotte hospital after the game so that lead to some credence that Rex would not been able to play that Carolina game. Beck was not the problem in the Carolina game. The Skins did not scheme well on defense to slow down Cam Newton and Steve Smith.

---------- Post added December-3rd-2011 at 10:24 AM ----------

rex has shown enough for me to be happy with him as our transitional starter/backup for next year. same as this offseason, there just isnt anyone out there that will cost us nothing in draft picks and will be more comfortable and better able to run our system than rex.

i dont think people realize just how bad our offense is in terms of talent. just look at other teams... in terms of offenses, i cant watch a game without noticing how much faster, stronger, and more agile other teams are across the board. most teams have a couple of players that need to be gameplanned for... we have maybe fred davis.

having average talent "across the board" just isnt going to work in the nfl. the easiest way to fix that, is with great qb play, which we will be addressing in the draft.

and barring a great rookie year from said qb, it's going to take another season or two for us to have a good offense. things are already getting better, with the maturation of our youngsters and the addition of depth, but we still need another year or two of drafting before our offense will realistically be up to par.

This average talk sounds too much like excuses for not having an elite or franchise qb. I look at Chicago with a weak offensive line, a stud running back, franchise qb, but slightly average receivers and the Bears score points. I look at the Tampa Bay Bucs, while Josh Freeman has taken a step back this year, still a mediocre wr core, an ok line, with a hard runner in Blount. Bucs had alot of come back wins last year and scored points. Rivers in San Diego last year had no name receivers, a stud tight end, no running game, and a shaky offensive line, guess what San Diego scored points. Our team struggles because the Skins just do not A. have a franchise qb that knows the system and have been in the system for at least three years. B. Always trying to acquire instead of develop our own qb specifically for the Skins system, and C. Poor drafting when the Skins had an opportunity to draft a franchise qb ala Jason Campbell. I hope this front office take a qb in the top 10 when it comes time to draft. Enough, is enough already.

---------- Post added December-3rd-2011 at 10:25 AM ----------

This average talk sounds too much like excuses for not having an elite or franchise qb. I look at Chicago with a weak offensive line, a stud running back, franchise qb, but slightly average receivers and the Bears score points. I look at the Tampa Bay Bucs, while Josh Freeman has taken a step back this year, still a mediocre wr core, an ok line, with a hard runner in Blount. Bucs had alot of come back wins last year and scored points. Rivers in San Diego last year had no name receivers, a stud tight end, no running game, and a shaky offensive line, guess what San Diego scored points. Our team struggles because the Skins just do not A. have a franchise qb that knows the system and have been in the system for at least three years. B. Always trying to acquire instead of develop our own qb specifically for the Skins system, and C. Poor drafting when the Skins had an opportunity to draft a franchise qb ala Jason Campbell. I hope this front office take a qb in the top 10 when it comes time to draft. Enough, is enough already.

---------- Post added December-3rd-2011 at 10:26 AM ----------

In hindsight, the Beck move was bad. He played terribly. Yes, the OL is bad and the entire first string of WR's was gone, but even with those missing pieces, Beck played poorly. The first game I'll give it to first game starter jitters, but he just didn't show any real bright spots in the games after.

Grossman is inferior to the majority of the QB's in the league including the much maligned Jason Campbell who, prior to his injury, turned out to be a serviceable QB when given fair protection and receivers who create separation. Grossman is better than McNabb who was a waste of draft picks here as well as comfort for the enemy by giving them those same draft picks, but in reality, he's just one more bad QB decision in a long line of bad QB decisions by Washington management.

The best thing to come out of the Grossman/Beck/McNabb/Campbell/Brunell/Campbell/Brunell/Ramsey fiascos? The end result is that everything has aligned to put the Skins in position for next year's draft where the teams that are competing in the the lower part of the draft are not all looking for QB's, where team management appears to be finally in agreement the Rex/Beck Wreck at QB was a dismal failure and where there are 4 available college QB's, any of whom are serious upgrades to the present QB's or any of the QB's for the past decade. It comes in a year where the Skins have all of their draft picks plus a couple of extra, the year after they took all the best eggs and put them in the defensive basket in the draft, where, after picking a QB in the first round next year, will have ample picks to put some decent OL talent around him in the second, third and fourth rounds, building a starting corps of OL that will be both starters and depth for years. It comes in a year where the Skins have found a good WR in Hankerson, where he'll return from his injury with a year under his belt, where the Skins also have Armstrong for speed and where they finally have enough talent they can put Moss in the slot, where he'll rule for a season or two.

When you couple that with the other guys who will be returning form injury I think the Skins have a bright future, even with a dim present. It may not happen immediately next year, but I see a much better team coming in the future.

The glass is almost empty right now, admittedly. But next year, I don't see a glass half empty, I see it 4/5ths full. JMHO.

Grossman is inferior to the majority of the QB's in the league including the much maligned Jason Campbell who, prior to his injury, turned out to be a serviceable QB when given fair protection and receivers who create separation.

See, this is the problem with so many guys on this board. I'm not trying to pick on you, just using it as an example, but SO many posters here look at our players and focus on their weaknesses and talk about how everyone else at their position around the league is better. Jason Campbell is no different in Oakland than he was here, yet he has vaulted in the opinion of some Skins fans because they no longer see him play, now they just see the stats and that he was winning. He's always been a decent QB, doesn't turn the ball over too often, and can find some receivers with good protection. But he's just that, average, and most of the time will check the ball down just like he did here. The difference is he was checking it down to Darren McFadden.

Campbell has not really improved since leaving, but most here seem to see him in a different light now. It's not a bash against Campbell, I always liked him and still root for him. But Grossman is much more fun to watch and for that reason until we find "our" guy, I'd rather have him. But it's a perfect example of how many posters/fans overvalue guys that play elsewhere because they don't actually see every play of every game like they do with the Skins, and undervalue or nitpick our players.

This is incredibly frustrating.

See, this is the problem with so many guys on this board. I'm not trying to pick on you, just using it as an example, but SO many posters here look at our players and focus on their weaknesses and talk about how everyone else at their position around the league is better. Jason Campbell is no different in Oakland than he was here, yet he has vaulted in the opinion of some Skins fans because they no longer see him play, now they just see the stats and that he was winning. He's always been a decent QB, doesn't turn the ball over too often, and can find some receivers with good protection. But he's just that, average, and most of the time will check the ball down just like he did here. The difference is he was checking it down to Darren McFadden.

Campbell has not really improved since leaving, but most here seem to see him in a different light now. It's not a bash against Campbell, I always liked him and still root for him. But Grossman is much more fun to watch and for that reason until we find "our" guy, I'd rather have him. But it's a perfect example of how many posters/fans overvalue guys that play elsewhere because they don't actually see every play of every game like they do with the Skins, and undervalue or nitpick our players.

This is incredibly frustrating.

You are absolutely right about our fans overvaluing other players. Jason Campbell is the same player he was when he was here.

If we had Oakland's skill players, I suspect our offense would be very good.

I would definitely agree at least at RB. Darren McFadden is an incredible talent. Unfortunately, both for fans of Oakland and football in general, he spends about as much time rehabbing injuries as he does on the field. Watching McFadden is entertaining and exciting no matter who you're rooting for (unless he's playing you) but he's about as fragile as Shawn Springs was. I would take him and Bush (not sure he fits our system). Their receivers have some serious speed but are also oft-injured and I think a little overrated. Other than their RB's I think their TE and WR aren't that much of an upgrade over ours at all when everyone is healthy. What makes that team go is their physicality and power on the offensive line complemented by some great running backs. And their defense is good enough to limit other teams enough so their running game can chew up clock and yardage and score enough to win. And on a team like that, it helps dramatically that they have the best kicker and the best punter in the game. They will almost always win the field position battle and Janikowski will straight up win them games (as he did last week with 6 field goals).

I would definitely agree at least at RB. Darren McFadden is an incredible talent. Unfortunately, both for fans of Oakland and football in general, he spends about as much time rehabbing injuries as he does on the field. Watching McFadden is entertaining and exciting no matter who you're rooting for (unless he's playing you) but he's about as fragile as Shawn Springs was. I would take him and Bush (not sure he fits our system). Their receivers have some serious speed but are also oft-injured and I think a little overrated. Other than their RB's I think their TE and WR aren't that much of an upgrade over ours at all when everyone is healthy. What makes that team go is their physicality and power on the offensive line complemented by some great running backs. And their defense is good enough to limit other teams enough so their running game can chew up clock and yardage and score enough to win. And on a team like that, it helps dramatically that they have the best kicker and the best punter in the game. They will almost always win the field position battle and Janikowski will straight up win them games (as he did last week with 6 field goals).
I agree about the talent level, Moss and Davis would easily be the best receivers on their team.

I think you've got to give credit to their offensive staff.

They choose the philosophy/scheme and it get the most out of their talent.

Even if you look at their OL wasn't that much better then ours last year, they almost gave up as many sacks in fewer attempts/dropbacks.

But their scheme and execution on offense has helped cut down on sacks and has produced an offense that is much better coordinated then our own.

And for a large part of the season they were doing it with a QB that we casted off.

---------- Post added December-3rd-2011 at 05:15 PM ----------

Jason Campbell is no different in Oakland than he was here, yet he has vaulted in the opinion of some Skins fans because they no longer see him play, now they just see the stats and that he was winning. He's always been a decent QB, doesn't turn the ball over too often, and can find some receivers with good protection. But he's just that, average, and most of the time will check the ball down just like he did here. The difference is he was checking it down to Darren McFadden.

Campbell has not really improved since leaving, but most here seem to see him in a different light now. It's not a bash against Campbell, I always liked him and still root for him.

I agree that Campbell is the same player, a decent QB that hasn't reached his potential.

I still say that Campbell last year in Washington was the best year of his career and a remarkable year when you think about how little talent that team had on the OL and RB and HC/OC.

Stay with REX everyone is so hard on him when everything is agianst him he may not be the greatest but he is the greatest in what they have.Plus there is no O-LINE to protect him they need a LEFT GUARD, CENTER, RIGHT GUARD, And maybe a RIGHT TACKLE the LINE has also hurt the RUNNING GAME. They need some WR'S for god sake MOSS is the still the number one WR when at Best a number two or A SLOT would be best give REX some help!! They have good TE'S with Cooley, Davis and Paulsen, I believe a healty Cooley still has some years left!! Hankerson has to please not be another Bu

st AT WR they need this guy to become an elite WR' the drafting has to get better in WASHINGTON PERIOD!!

---------- Post added December-3rd-2011 at 05:57 PM ----------

They Need a Number one and two WR with Moss playing slot like a Greg Jenning or a Calvin Johnson Big WR'S with big play making capibilities. Get a young QB let him ride the bench for a year or two behind Rex and Beck and build an O-LINE and get some WR'S

I've always liked Rex. I think some of his INTs comes from being short. In the Rams game he flat couldn't see Laurinitis because the line was in his way. It seems like just about every pick he throws is to the middle of the field where he has to see over the line. I know thats not the only problem he just throws dumb balls sometimes, but I think its a contributing factor. I also think if he hit the gym it would help him out alot. He was flat out porky at the start of the season. It would help with mobility and arm strength

Great article Murf:)

I like Rex's leadership and how the team rallies around him. When was the last time we had that '05 Brunell?? Yes I am on pins ans needles when he's out there but he's far more entertaining to watch than our last 3 qb's. He's a good dude and for that I will continue to support him.

I agree about the talent level, Moss and Davis would easily be the best receivers on their team.

Disagree.

Moss would be the most consistent maybe.

But Oakland has explosive young talent at WR. Lots of it. We have a nice young TE and not one WR who scares anyone downfield. Please don't say Armstrong.

Archived