Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At least Rex is showing the scheme is solid. He just isn't the one to run it.

NoCalMike

Rex is a TURNOVER WH0RE inside the Redzone!!! PUHLEAZE don't tell me that Rex is the better choice. Both QBs are jokes, and that now makes FOUR QBs that Mike Shanahan has screwed up on-- Campbell, McNabb, Rex, Beck. In ONLY TWO YEARS!

It just proves that Bruce Allen acts as Mike Shanhan's PIMP and nothing more... he brings in the raw meat that Coach Shanny wants, and has ZERO inputs as to what players are best for the Organization and Team... Sorry to see that, but that's reality.

How did shanny screw up on Campbell. Campbell can't play. Period!!!! McNabb is on shanny. He admitted that. The skins went with grossman and beck. They knew damn well these 2 weren't the future. Instead of spending, this is what they went with until the draft.

How did shanny screw up on Campbell. Campbell can't play. Period!!!! McNabb is on shanny. He admitted that. The skins went with grossman and beck. They knew damn well these 2 weren't the future. Instead of spending, this is what they went with until the draft.

Campbell can play but he's a game manager and is clearly not the QB we needed. The kind of team that can go all the way with a QB like him only comes around once every ~10 years and they almost never duplicate their success.

Rex is by far the unluckiest QB I've seen in watching the NFL for 30+ years. Teams are just insane they way they replace QBs left and right these days. Bradshaw has recently said that he would have never made it in today's NFL with inpatience of teams/fan bases. Brady has noticed this as well, saying he's not sure he would have ever left the bench with other NFL teams.

That would make Alex Smith the luckiest QB today. Yeah I have heard that from Bradshaw....he never would have had the chance today.

All this talk about Rex vs. Beck, Beck vs. Rex.

Well now that we have had a decent sample size from both QBs, I think it is safe to say that while Rex will always be the errant turnover at the worst time machine that he has shown to be, he also does "just enough" to show the fans that Kyle Shanahan's offense is not the problem. I still entertain the thought that the playcalling itself seems off at times, but the system itself is there, and it seems to work and be getting guys open. Just because Grossman is being Grossman, or Beck is inept, doesn't mean the scheme itself is bad.

We need a better QB, it is that simple. I'd even go as far as to say we don't even need a blue chipper, we simply need a solid QB that doesn't turn the ball over a ton, especially in the red zone.

While neither QB is the answer, it seems clear as day now whether you were a Rex or Beck supporter in the beginning, that Rex was the right choice to start.

So by my tally

McNabb

Haynesworth

Rex vs. Beck

2011 Draft

Shanahan/Allen 4

Naysayers 0

I'd say the record is 3-1. McNabb appears to have been all Shanny. Now if we find out Danny pushed that deal, fine Shanny's off the hook.

Now to the naysayers bashing our being stuck with Rex/Beck... look how Shanny tried to address that trading for McNabb in '10! And give Shanny props for making what so far looks like a solid draft in '11, instead of getting a QB that may not have worked out as well as the players we got.

Yeah, I know it's too early to judge any draft a couple years later, just sayin'.

I wish some folks would stop acting like Shanny went far and beyond out of his way to acquire Rex and Beck. They are there by default because McNabb had worst-case **** the bed scenario. He was supposed to be here for a few years, and Shanny refused to re-route the course just to find another QB for a couple years. It was: "oh well, time for Rex and Beck".

I think the system is pretty good. We just don't have the QB to take advantage of it. I can't think of the last time we hit a WR in stride on a long ball. There was one play against Miami in which the WR (can't remember who) had the CB beat but had to slow down and turn around to catch the ball.

I'm going to the Dallas game Sunday and it always frustrates me because you get a a really clear view of open WR's who just arent' thrown to. I think it happened way too much in the 49'r game. It is now clear that Shanny either 1) overestimated how Beck or Rex could manage the game or 2) knew they couldn't and wanted a QB in the 2012 draft.

I mean, there are WR's running open down the field. Its partially the OL's fault, not to mention the shortcomings of our QB's, that keep us from securing long drives or scoring, but I have to agree that this scheme has proven itself, as much as it can. Its the execution that's the problem.

REALITY CHECK!

We are way past the point where we can objectively grade the performance of the "offensive system".

1: QB's are horrible

2: Offensive line - depleted by injuries

3: Running backs - depleted by injuries

4: Wide Recievers - depleted by injuries

5: Tight Ends - depleted by injuries

If you don't think all of the above changes how you game-plan and call plays you are crazy. At this point, the system is the last thing we have to worry about.

How about this. Kerrigan & Jenkins > Gabbert. That is what we should be comparing. Next year we will get one of the big 3 QB's. Luck, Barkley, Jones. So One of them & Kerrigan & Jenkins > Gabbert. We did the right thing.

Sorry, but this argument is purely speculative.

Jenkins is injured so we don't know how well he would turnout. I am hoping he turns out GREAT! But, that is more wishful thinking.

In 2012, we better do whatever it takes to GET a GOOD Franchise QB, and a playmaking tall strong WR. If we could add an elite RB into the mix ... it would be peachy!

The OL is the foundation of the offense. If it's hurting, it affects the play of everyone else. This is pretty obvous if you do the math: 5 of 11 players. But since when can sports analysts grasp the obvious? As long as a QB gives a good interview, has a hot girlfriend or went to a northeastern college, he must be an elite QB, right? They are so predictable.

i thought this thread was sarcasm at first, being that we have 2 QB's who havent been able to run it, perhaps that being an indication of bad scheme rather than bad QB play.

ive been a supporter of shanny since he got here, but how jr gets such a pass after that **** play calling job he pulled in dallas, i dont get. (ive probably complained about this a dozen or more times, but i'm still shocked nobody else is as pissed as i am about it).

that said, i have mixed feelings on the scheme. in short, i'm sure it works- with good players, but then, what scheme doesnt? kyles inability/refusal to adjust his calls as the game situations change has been maddening. his refusal (at times) to try to establish a running game has been mystifying. he seems to call plays at times like he's playing tecmo super bowl, but using the phoenix cardinals roster. the texans ability to keep on trucking the past 2 years is interesting.

still, i have no issue with the playcalling the past 2 games.

Wow. Just wow. We can't run the ball worth a damn. Haven't been able to on a consistant basis all season actually, even when we were winning. I'm not even sure Shanny Jr wants to run the ball anyway. The play calling makes me scratch my head everytime. This offense makes me scratch my head everytime. I'll say it again and again, while I am not calling for heads to roll, I also hold the whole Rex vs Beck thing on the shoulders of the guys who brought those two here in the first place and then staked their reputation on the fact that they would run the "system" just fine. Not a "shutout" for the Shannys/Allen by any means in my opinion.

i think i agree with alot of this.

Let me clarify, I gave Shanny credit for giving McNabb his walking papers after he showed he had no interest in learning the scheme and/or buying into it.

Shanhan was called a lot of nasty things for trading away McNabb, and plenty of experts felt he would help lead the Vikings to a great season....

I guess overall I am wrong, as Shanahan did aquire him in the first place and did waste draft picks, so I spoke too soon.

I just meant Shanahan was correct to get rid of him.

If this is your theory, please explain the Manningless Colts, or why the Chargers are struggling while Rivers is in a slump, or why the Packers lost to us last year after Rodgers went down, or why when Romo sits to pee doesn't throw Grossman like interceptions the Cowboys hang 44 on the Bills, or why a talented team like the Jets can't win with Sanchez. I could go on and on but you get the picture, it is all about the QB, and we haven't had a good one for 20 years...

The guys right. Everyone wants a high draft pick QB but I highly doubt that does any good until there is more talent around him. Very good chance at busting him IMO.

IMO, we should offer our 2nd round pick for Matt Flynn instead of addressing QB in the draft. We aren't getting luck, sorry guys. Matt Flynn is the perfect QB for Kyle's offense. This isn't because of him playing last night either, the guy is just a pocket passer, great accuracy, good awareness and is a starting NFL QB.

How about this. Kerrigan & Jenkins > Gabbert. That is what we should be comparing. Next year we will get one of the big 3 QB's. Luck, Barkley, Jones. So One of them & Kerrigan & Jenkins > Gabbert. We did the right thing.

I agree. While everyone knows that neither grossman nor beck are the answer, everyone should have known this prior to the season. I think it all still goes back to last year. With the utter failure of Mcnabb and the pick of Locker by Tennessee, Shanahan decided that we should wait until next year for a qb. You gotta have luck to get a good qb in the 2nd round or further. Cincinnati was lucky. We will never be that lucky. Ever. ( speaking of which, they are about to have 3 1sts on top of it all. That team is going to be jacked soon). Im glad we didnt draft Gabbert. He looks bad out there. Kerrigan is looking special, and Riley looks promising as well. Our defense will be solid for the most part. That is saying something since last year it was absolutely in shambles. Its obvious we are picking a qb next year when we didnt even draft Mallet when he dropped. Nor did we go into the season with more than 2 qb's. Nor did we pick up a backup qb when Grossman was out with pneumonia.

We will be picking a great qb prospect next year. Im not so worried about it. It just sucks that i have to watch another lame ass game at 2 or 5 in the am. ( time difference)

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 07:58 AM ----------

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 08:02 AM ----------

IMO, we should offer our 2nd round pick for Matt Flynn instead of addressing QB in the draft. We aren't getting luck, sorry guys. Matt Flynn is the perfect QB for Kyle's offense. This isn't because of him playing last night either, the guy is just a pocket passer, great accuracy, good awareness and is a starting NFL QB.

How can you evaluate him when his 3rd best receiver is freaking Donald Driver. That WR set is stacked, and you have to include Finlay in the mix. Id rather draft a guy then send another pick away for a backup qb.

Please don't fall for this Matt Flynn hype. How about we actually go to the store............due our due dilligence.......price check.........look at the ingredients (forgive the grocery analogy..but you get the drift)..and draft our OWN quarterback. Stop taking another team's scraps. How has that turned out for this organization. It's lazy. You want a franchise qb, go draft one. Of course, I have severe doubts about this staff's ability to accurately choose a franchise quarterback considering the mcnabb, grossman and beck travashamockery's..........................................but that's for a different thread. Don't fall victim to the Scott Mitchell, Matt Cassell..and the list goes on and on..of guys that look good in their old team's system. Tired of that. You can't cheat. I know the mindset...save a draft pick...........no. Go........................draft..............................a franchise..............quarterback. Period!

How can you evaluate him when his 3rd best receiver is freaking Donald Driver. That WR set is stacked' date=' and you have to include Finlay in the mix. Id rather draft a guy then send another pick away for a backup qb.[/quote']

So wait a second here.......The WR's are the reason Rodgers is good then? Which is it? You act like the WR core is god like. Green Bay's WR core is just 4-5 WR's who are average at best with 1 (jennings) who is a #1 for our team and a #2 for everyone else. Aaron Rodgers is what makes that WR core. The system they use is unstoppable with an quick drop passer, pocket passer, and accuracy. Matt Flynn is that. Our offense is all about the short 5-7 yard passes much like theres with the occasional down the field plays.

So wait a second here.......The WR's are the reason Rodgers is good then? Which is it? You act like the WR core is god like. Green Bay's WR core is just 4-5 WR's who are average at best with 1 (jennings) who is a #1 for our team and a #2 for everyone else. Aaron Rodgers is what makes that WR core. The system they use is unstoppable with an quick drop passer, pocket passer, and accuracy. Matt Flynn is that. Our offense is all about the short 5-7 yard passes much like theres with the occasional down the field plays.

No i am not saying that the wr's are the reason Rodgers is good. Come on... im saying that Flynn looks good because he has 4-5 great wr options and defenses have no tape on him to study. Honestly, what defense is going to spend any amount of time in the film room studying for Flynn when you have to worry about Rodgers? Im not falling for the Flynn hype. I want a bonefide no.1 qb.

I agree that the scheme is not bad and that Grossman is not the guy to run it. But you have to place blame on the WR's also. These guys are running button hooks in the same area that other WR's are runing routes. Is that the offense or is that just WR's not running the right route and not getting the proper seperation of the routes? WR's slowing down or just plain stopping on routes that are based on timing just spells disaster and an INT is inevitable. So many of Rex's INT's are thrown because of these very reasons. Slipping or falling down on routes, jogging on routes, stopping on routes, and basically no continuity with each other. When the WR's like Moss would run a proper route then the QB would either under throw or over throw them. So blame the QB, blame the WR's, the playcalling or just the scheme but the real problem is the combination of all the poor fundamentals this team has.

Well now that we have had a decent sample size from both QBs, I think it is safe to say that while Rex will always be the errant turnover at the worst time machine that he has shown to be, he also does "just enough" to show the fans that Kyle Shanahan's offense is not the problem. I still entertain the thought that the playcalling itself seems off at times, but the system itself is there, and it seems to work and be getting guys open. Just because Grossman is being Grossman, or Beck is inept, doesn't mean the scheme itself is bad.

We need a better QB, it is that simple. I'd even go as far as to say we don't even need a blue chipper, we simply need a solid QB that doesn't turn the ball over a ton, especially in the red zone.

While neither QB is the answer, it seems clear as day now whether you were a Rex or Beck supporter in the beginning, that Rex was the right choice to start.

So by my tally

McNabb

Haynesworth

Rex vs. Beck

2011 Draft

Shanahan/Allen 4

Naysayers 0

QB would be first on my draft board....

So by my tally

McNabb

Haynesworth

Rex vs. Beck

2011 Draft

Shanahan/Allen 4

Naysayers 0

How the h3ll is the scheme solid??? They cannot run, they cannot pass with regular success...But the scheme is SOLID??? As solid as a warm pile of Cow Dung!

How the h3ll is the scheme solid??? They cannot run, they cannot pass with regular success...But the scheme is SOLID??? As solid as a warm pile of Cow Dung!

There is a difference between a scheme and the execution of the scheme. I think we need a legit QB as well as some infusion of quality talent on the OL (most likely FA) before we can judge the scheme.

Archived