Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question: What Do You Want Danny To Do NOW?

kleese

As bad as Beck is, he was no worse than the OL or the WRs yesterday.

The 9 sacks is a perfect microcosm of how stupid it is to try and blame the issues of this team on one player, coach, or unit.

The OL can’t block, both because they aren’t good and are effectively down to only 2 starters (considering Monty is a backup G), and those two starters were the weakest starters to begin the year – so Beck gets sacked.

The QB has to hold on to the ball too long because we don’t have a single WR who can separate from coverage except the one who is injured – so Beck gets sacked.

Beck just isn’t a great QB, so he lacks pocket presence – and thus again, he gets sacked.

Maybe throw in the running game being non-existent so the OC has to call aggressive passes/the OC only calls aggressive passes because he is an idiot – so Beck gets sacked.

Who’s to blame for that? I see lots of Redskins fans who want to blame Shanahan, and are chomping at the bit to fire another HC. Yet there is no shortage of factors to blame for where we are as a team right now. A decade of mismanagement, bad injury luck, and a horrible QB gamble over a year ago all seem to be major causes of our current malaise.

A thread bare Redskins team suffers several critical injuries and suddenly their mediocre QB (Beck, Grossman, McNabb, Campbell, Brunell, etc) looks bad and the team looks lost? Geez, who could have seen that coming?

Whenever I get frustrated by the progress of this team, I go back and look at our 2009 roster, and remind myself of just how much work needed to be done.

QB Jason Campbell

28 3 16 327 for 507, 3,618 yards, 20 td, 15 int, & 46 rushes for 236 yards and 1 td Washington Redskins / 1st / 25th pick / 2005

RB Clinton Portis

28 7 8 124 rushes for 494 yards, 1 td, & 9 catches for 57 yards and 1 td Denver Broncos / 2nd / 51st pick / 2002

RB Mike Sellers

34 11 7 0 rushes for 0 yards, 0 td, & 17 catches for 176 yards and 2 td

WR Malcolm Kelly

23 1 10 25 catches for 347 yards, 0 td Washington Redskins / 2nd / 51st pick / 2008

WR Santana Moss

30 8 16 70 catches for 902 yards, 3 td, & 2 rushes for 8 yards and 0 td New York Jets / 1st / 16th pick / 2001

WR Devin Thomas

23 1 10 25 catches for 325 yards, 3 td, & 3 rushes for -2 yards and 0 td Washington Redskins / 2nd / 34th pick / 2008

TE Fred Davis

23 1 10 48 catches for 509 yards, 6 td Washington Redskins / 2nd / 48th pick / 2008

TE Chris Cooley

27 5 7 29 catches for 332 yards, 2 td Washington Redskins / 3rd / 81st pick / 2004

LT Levi Jones

30 7 8 Cincinnati Bengals / 1st / 10th pick / 2002

LT Chris Samuels

32 9 5 Washington Redskins / 1st / 3rd pick / 2000

LG Derrick Dockery

29 6 16 Washington Redskins / 3rd / 81st pick / 2003

C Casey Rabach

32 7 16 Baltimore Ravens / 3rd / 92nd pick / 2001

RG Mike D. Williams

29 7 8 2 fumbles recovered Buffalo Bills / 1st / 4th pick / 2002

RT Stephon Heyer

25 2 16

Defensive Starters

LDE Phillip Daniels

36 13 15 1.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Seattle Seahawks / 4th / 99th pick / 1996

LDT Cornelius Griffin

33 9 14 2.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered New York Giants / 2nd / 42nd pick / 2000

RDT Albert Haynesworth

28 7 12 4.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered Tennessee Titans / 1st / 15th pick / 2002

RDT Kedric Golston

26 3 5 2.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Washington Redskins / 6th / 196th pick / 2006

RDE Andre Carter

30 8 16 11.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered San Francisco 49ers / 1st / 7th pick / 2001

LLB Brian Orakpo*

23 Rook 16 11.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Washington Redskins / 1st / 13th pick / 2009

MLB London Fletcher*

34 11 16 2.0 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered

RLB Rocky McIntosh

27 3 16 0.0 sacks, 2 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Washington Redskins / 2nd / 35th pick / 2006

LCB Carlos Rogers

28 4 15 0.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered Washington Redskins / 1st / 9th pick / 2005

RCB DeAngelo Hall

26 5 12 0.0 sacks, 4 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered Atlanta Falcons / 1st / 8th pick / 2004

RCB Fred Smoot

30 8 6 Washington Redskins / 2nd / 45th pick / 2001

SS Reed Doughty

27 3 7 2.0 sacks, 1 interception, 1 fumble recovered Washington Redskins / 6th / 173rd pick / 2006

SS Chris Horton

25 1 5 0.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered Washington Redskins / 7th / 249th pick / 2008

FS LaRon Landry

25 2 15 1.0 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered Washington Redskins / 1st / 6th pick / 2007

Special Teams Starters

K Shaun Suisham

28 4 0 18 of 21 field goals & 20 of 21 extra points

P Hunter Smith

32 10 0 57 punts for a 41.3 average, 0 blocked Indianapolis Colts / 7th / 210th pick / 1999

PR Antwaan Randle El

30 7 3 17 punt returns for a 6.0 average and 0 td Pittsburgh Steelers / 2nd / 62nd pick / 2002

KR Rock Cartwright

30 7 2 39 kick returns for a 22.3 average and 0 td Washington Redskins / 7th / 257th pick / 2002

That’s one of the worse freaking starting lineups I have ever seen. I mean, what the hell was going on for the past decade?? And we are surprised that the team isn’t competing for a division title 18 months later?

Clearly the work is nowhere close to being complete. And yeah, there are some major adjustments to be made. But ****, isn’t this what we wanted? To be completely rebuilt from the ground up? And how could you not possibly expect some days like yesterday, especially when the injuries started to mount.

But no, let’s continue to hunt for scapegoats, it’s what we do in DC. It’s easier to find one person to blame, because that allows us to think that if we just fix that one thing, everything will be all better.

So what do I want Synder to do? Abso****inglutely nothing.

As disgusted as I am, I don't think the sky is falling. Prior to the 3-1 start, expectations were not that high for this team. Then, lots of folks---including me, Deon Sanders, and many fans/media, etc---got on the wagon just as it derailed. This game was an aberration. It came at a horrible time, serving to "affirm" many of our greatest fears and work against the false hope that had built up when the team started talking about being "special" and winning the NFC East.

Others have covered the obvious reasons why we've slipped in their posts. Injuries, some bad coaching decisions, bad plays, inexperience.

The game was a horrible display. It ruined many of our Sundays. We are true fans, though. Keep the faith. We're still headed in the right direction. A year from now, we will have a new QB, and I suspect the 2012 draft will be the offense's turn to get some new blood on the line.

Don't over react. TWO years from now, if we aren't in the race...well...my tune will change. HAIL brothers and sisters. HAIL!

+1. It might get worse this year before it starts to get better but we need to stick this out.

Hell, it could end up totally blowing. But you don't "change" by continuously doing the same thing over and over. How hard is that to get?

Could have gone after Dalton in the draft...or gone after Hasselbeck.

I love when people come in with comments like this, I notice you've excluded all the other rookie QBs we could of had that are performing like ****... is that because you're using hindsight? Ahh... the wonderful world of hindsight.

Answering the OP's question:

1) Sell the team to an owner that will bring in a proper front office to rebuild this team from the ground up -- and not meddle.

2) Barring that fantasy, do everything in his power to land Andrew Luck -- believe the hype -- this guy will be the next Brady / Manning and will be bringing rings to the "Luck-y" team that drafts him... why not us?

There's nothing he can do. He can't fire Mike, the PR and money is too strong.

He has no choice but to stay the course, even with this mediocre/bad coaching staff. Maybe in 2-3 years he can have the much anticipated sleepovers in Potomac with big-name retread coaches.

I cant understand why people dont want to stay the course. Shanahan is a great coach, yet hes getting so much slack because hes been losing some games. Well guys, with the team we have, this shouldnt have been a big surprise to anyone. Our team, especially at the beginning of last year, was absolutely the worst thing Ive ever seen in my life. Old, beat up, overplayed, and spoiled veterans left over from the Zorn committee. In 1 year, Shanahan has made us young, disciplined, and also has given our players heart again. This was the year we were supposed to get 2-4 wins. I mean, heck, I didnt even get my hopes up this year. This was the first year since I was born and became a Redskins fan that I actually didnt get my hopes up for a good record. Then we went 2-0 and I started getting my hopes up, so of course I was dissapointed, and I think a lot of us are, but I mean give Shanny a break, this is really not his fault, its no ones fault. Were a rebuilding team, did you really expect to go 9-7? 8-8? I didnt. If we fire Shanny or do something stupid like that, then we are going to be right back at square one. Give him 3-5 years, he will get this ship turned around. Our QB's are John Beck and Rex Grossman, I mean my God, any other coach wouldnt even be able to win 1 game with those QB's. Not to mention, our best Olineman is hurt, and our Guard is hurt as well. Our starting RB, and our number 1 WR, also both out. Cooley too. We have all these injuries, 2 crap QB's and Shanahan still has a 3-4 record this year. If we fire Shanahan, then honestly, we are setting ourselves back 5 more years.

Stay the course.

This is always our problem. We change EVERYTHING and then want instant gratification. It takes time.

I hope he is patient and sticks to the five year plan because doing anything else would be a mistake.

YES!

Everyone is talking about the Bills being on the rise with all of their unheralded players. That's great and all, but these very players have mostly been on the team since 2008 and they suffered through a handful of losing seasons before this year, specifically 10-22 over the past two seasons prior to 2011.

Stay the course and let Allen/Shanahan continue to stock the team with talent. We can potentially add 10 or so key players each off-season so we'll be able to compete in a couple years. The D isn't great, but it's gone from dead last to middle of the road in one off-season. If we can make similar improvements on offense next year and then circle back and fill more holes on both sides of the ball before 2013, I think we'll have something.

Rebuilding doesn't happen overnight. We are in year 1 thanks to the limited off-season rules prior to Shanahan's first season.

I love when people come in with comments like this, I notice you've excluded all the other rookie QBs we could of had that are performing like ****... is that because you're using hindsight? Ahh... the wonderful world of hindsight.

There is no hindsight here. I liked Mallett more than everyone else like year - including Newton. (I've never been happier to be wrong on a player than Newton). I didn't think anyone should use a 1st round pick on him. The fact that he went to New England which absolutely does not need him is a crime.

Hell, it could end up totally blowing. But you don't "change" by continuously doing the same thing over and over. How hard is that to get?

The thing is the same fans who are shouting for Danny to start firing people and getting involved in football decision making are the same folks who were pissing and moaning when he did just that.

YES!

Everyone is talking about the Bills being on the rise with all of their unheralded players. That's great and all, but these very players have mostly been on the team since 2008 and they suffered through a handful of losing seasons before this year, specifically 10-22 over the past two seasons prior to 2011.

Yeah but in year 2 the head coach is showing progress. We are still spinning in neutral. Shanahan spent his whole time so far breaking a good defense down to build a marginally better one.

Stay the course. Shanny was given 5 years to fix something that took 20 years to totally break. It is only 1 1/2 years in and things are on course. Is it painful? Yes. But everything takes time to build. Patience. We are in year 2 of a 4 year rebuild process.

At least with a rookie/unproven QB, there's the slight hope he'll blossom into a true franchise QB. Starting a proven bust like Grossman did nothing more than demonstrate why he's on his third team. What was Shanahan thinking THAT would accomplish? Did he really think he could make Grossman into a starter-quality NFL QB?

The thing is the same fans who are shouting for Danny to start firing people and getting involved in football decision making are the same folks who were pissing and moaning when he did just that.

Yes, they are----but I know you as a poster so I know you have long ago noted that, as in many other matters in life, a large majority of folks make a lot more noise than sense. :)

I don't understand, you insinuate that a lot of rookie QB's that we could have had are performing poorly. The only one that we could have had that is performing poorly is Gabbert, right? And he is in a worse situation than ours. I think the other rookie QB's who we could have had (Ponder, Dalton) are performing very well.

But that doesn't mean they would do well on our team.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 12:02 PM ----------

At least with a rookie/unproven QB, there's the slight hope he'll blossom into a true franchise QB. Starting a proven bust like Grossman did nothing more than demonstrate why he's on his third team. What was Shanahan thinking THAT would accomplish? Did he really think he could make Grossman into a starter-quality NFL QB?

He could have stayed with his 2nd team as Schaubs backup. Houston wanted him back. He came to his 3rd team voluntarily to possibly get a shot at starting.

Weren't we all saying that two years ago? This team is ALWAYS two years away.

And the reason why were always two years behind is because every two years we get a different staff/system etc; Gibbs was a miracle worker to be able to pull off two playoff appearances with the talent we had and Vinny giving away everything. We need to stick with Shanny. After 4ish years if were still in this boat, then fine fire him. But if we do something that stupid right now, then we set ourselves 2 more years behind and another decade goes by with us in the basement.

Of course he didn't. Who was he supposed to sign/trade/draft? Really go back and look at who was available. Cheap one year contract and a nothing draft pick.

I don't see how it's not completely obvious that Shanahan didn't want to take a quarterback just to take a quarterback? Don't marry the first girl; marry the right one.

This is insane, I have seen a handful of fans on this website say that Shanny has such a big ego that he thought he could turn Grossman into a quality QB. Thats the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. The only reason Shanny had Grossman starting is because, he obviously didnt want Gabbert(and Im so glad he didnt pick him), and there were no other QBs in the draft he felt worth taking. So hes sticking it out with Grossman/Beck this year and when the draft comes we finally get our franchise QB. It has nothing to do with ego, its called common sense.

There is reason to believe, from Lavarleap, that we were thinking about Dalton, dude. Plus, it was a RESPONSE to something said already. The thing is, we rolled the dice on junk, that's TWO seasons of Shanny not taking the appropriate risk for a YOUNG QB to come in and take his initial lumps.

Of course he didn't. Who was he supposed to sign/trade/draft? Really go back and look at who was available. Cheap one year contract and a nothing draft pick.

I don't see how it's not completely obvious that Shanahan didn't want to take a quarterback just to take a quarterback? Don't marry the first girl; marry the right one.

I agree with this. Our draft picks didn't really come at a time where Shanahan valued one of the QB's on the board. I think Shanahan or Allen actually said that. They said that they had QB's on their list but they never fell to where they felt like they would be a good value. People will talk about Dalton in round 2, but I liked what I saw from JJ and hopefully he heals and can be solid on our DL for the next 3+ years.

Archived