Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question: What Do You Want Danny To Do NOW?

kleese

It struck me today.... The fanbase seemed to have had enough towards the end of the 2009 season. The frustrations boiled and we convinced ourselves that Danny must step back from football operations, fire Vinny, and bring in "real" football people to run the show.

This groundswell really got rolling and I believe the fans were heard loud and clear.

Despite the frustsration and rock bottom feeling of 2009, there did seem to hope in the respect that fans felt that IF Snyder made said changes we could right the ship.

Well, Snyder DID make those changes yet many fans feel the same way.

Dan "fired himself" as much as he could. Got rid of his handpicked cronie and brought in an established President and Coach with Allen and Shanny.

What do we demand now?

That he fires Shanny? Allen?

Do you want Snyder to meddle and force Shanny to make coaching changes?

I believe Snyder did what we wanted him to do, which was to turn over the keys and say "fix it" to a couple of respected people. We haven't spent wildly on FAs, we haven't fallen for flashy picks.... As a matter of fact, we had 12 draft picks this year, which is the antithesis of everything we complained about for so many years.

What does he do now?

I guess my point is this... We have little chance but to take it at this point and put blind faith in this regime.

They took over a colossal mess... Bigger than most fans realize. I've said it before... WORSE than an expansion roster... Much worse.

Seeing our team regress from game one to game seven is beyond discouraging. Seeing us get blanked by the Bills was beyond disheartening.

As much as I try to be level headed and realistic about our situation, but I will freely admit that today felt like "the same ole skins" to me. I didn't expect a winning season or the playoffs, bit I also didn't expect to see THAT this year either... So I'm pretty bummed right now.

But I feel like we have no choice but to soldier on. I want there to be NO DOUBT that we gave Shanny enough time...

Today sucked. It sucked bad. As a fan you feel cheated watching teams like the Bengals and Bills progressing, while we seem to spin our wheels.

Two years ago if Dan Snyder came to me and said "what should I do?" I could have given him a list of 100 things.

If he came to me today with that same question, I would just shrug my shoulders... Because I really don't know.

By the way... You can ban me for this if I'm wrong, but I bet play very well and maybe beat the Niners next Sunday.

Put the GM in charge of the team, above the head coach, and let him run the team without needing to do so by committee. Make sure the GM understands that the coaching hires must run compatible system so the roster doesn't have to be entirely recreated with each change. Do not reinvent the wheel and provide consistency to the franchise from a level above the head coach.

Two years isn't long enough to undo the damage to the roster. Couple that with a coach that apparently can't be trusted to choose a QB and well... here we are.

Nothing. I want him to continue to do nothing, and allow Allen/Shanahan to continue to decide the direction and personnel moves of this team.

Three years from now, if Shanahan has accomplished nothing, I want him to leave Allen in control, to bring in our next HC and staff, to keep some continuity in scheme/overall team vision/direction.

Sell the team so the Skins can start winning on a regular basis again

I knew someone would say that, but lets keep it realistic.

If you believe Snyder is just a bad dude who will never win then you might as well go away for the next 30 years or so

Because I don't think he is going anywhere.

Great contribution. What has Dan done in the last two years to cause you to say this? He deserved this comment in the past, but no longer. Any blame for recent production from the Redskins can't be placed upon Snyder's shoulders. He did exactly what fans wanted.

Put the GM in charge of the team, above the head coach, and let him run the team without needing to do so by committee. Make sure the GM understands that the coaching hires must run compatible system so the roster doesn't have to be entirely recreated with each change. Do not reinvent the wheel and provide consistency to the franchise from a level above the head coach.

Two years isn't long enough to undo the damage to the roster. Couple that with a coach that apparently can't be trusted to choose a QB and well... here we are.

But doesn't that seem like meddling? The exact thing we asked him to stop doing? If he goes in now and forces Shanny and Allen to change their operational dynamic, doesn't that sort of sound like the things that have gotten him in trouble in the past?

Great contribution. What has Dan done in the last two years to cause you to say this? He deserved this comment in the past, but no longer. Any blame for recent production from the Redskins can't be placed upon Snyder's shoulders. He did exactly what fans wanted.

This.

Snyder did exacty what everyone asked him to do. All we can do is hope that Shanny and Allen have a plan and that they know what they are doing...

Stay the course.

This is always our problem. We change EVERYTHING and then want instant gratification. It takes time.

I hope he is patient and sticks to the five year plan because doing anything else would be a mistake.

My thoughts exactly.

Watching the misery today I felt helpless and then just thought to myself "well, maybe this is just the price we pay for doing it wrong for so long...." If the guys in charge now know how to right the ship (even if it takes longer than I want) then I can live with it

But doesn't that seem like meddling? The exact thing we asked him to stop doing? If he goes in now and forces Shanny and Allen to change their operational dynamic, doesn't that sort of sound like the things that have gotten him in trouble in the past?

I don't need him to reduce Shanahan's power now if he gives it to Allen after Shanahan is done here. I wouldn't at all be surprised with Allen and Snyder take a more skeptical approach to Shanahan's QB opinions going forward though.

His job as the owner is to create the structure and tone of the organization. What we don't want him to do is act as the GM. Being that he apparently has no concept of consistency we need him to have a all powerful GM to make sure each coach isn't a world apart from the previous. Basically avoiding exactly what Snyder has done by going from Norv to Marty to Spurrier to Gibbs to Zorn to Shanahan.

There's nothing he can do. He can't fire Mike, the PR and money is too strong.

He has no choice but to stay the course, even with this mediocre/bad coaching staff. Maybe in 2-3 years he can have the much anticipated sleepovers in Potomac with big-name retread coaches.

Hey all im saying is ever since he bought this team the Skins have hardly done anything besides two playoffs apperences.I agree with you that the past two years he has stayed out of the way and I like that he did that.I still hav'nt seen no improvment thow b/c this team still has been awful since he has taken a back seat on making the moves.I AM and ALWAYS WILL BE a lifelong Redskins fan and all of this losing is really growing tired on me.

I agree completely. I hated the Shanahan/Allen hires from the start. Dan needs to find a good young GM. Someone who is a top talent scout for one of the better franchises in the league. Then he needs to let that GM find a good up-and-coming coach. We don't need anymore retreads that were deservedly fired from their previous jobs.

If it was 2002, I would agree with you. Ever since his horrible mistake with firing Marty, Snyder has done a respectful job owning the team. He just hasn't had luck finding that one coach, maybe he has with Mike. IMO.

We stay put and ride it out. Lets give Shanahan his 5 years and then evaluate on his decisions. I've got this gut feeling in year 4 we will be serious contenders and the entire fanbase will look back on these two years and say it was worth it.

Kleese, it's people complaining for the sake of complaining. That's all it is. They can't handle losing and losing badly, so they just complain about it. It's their first response to a hopeless situation in their mind. There is nothing to do right now but stay the course. Try to help improve the players we've got playing right now and build their confidence. For all the talk of "letting the young guys grow" it ends up being just that, just talk. This fanbase, at least on ES, can't handle a true rebuild. They really can't. They think "growing" is somehow akin to all these young guys making a ton of plays, butt-slapping and high-fiving each other all the way to the end zone every game.

These rookies and, all things considered, amateurs to the NFL who are getting a lot of playing time right now are taking their lumps. We've got a ton of them on the offensive side and it's affecting the defense. That's really all there is to it.

I think it's hilarious so many fans around here want yet another coaching/GM change. Cuz that's always worked so well for us, lol. I don't care if we end up having a losing record with Shanahan his entire tenure here... I just want to see a consistent approach and a continuous stream of players for a particular system. That way, even if Shanahan fails, the next coach can come in and effectively change what needs to be changed and there isn't a million things to go about with all kinds of different players that fit different schemes.

Give Shanny this season at the most to fix the atrocious play calling, and until end of next to turn the team towards reliable non-suckage. Doesn't have to be a division win, just show some progress, not disgusting **** like today.

Good points about keeping the GM and find a coach that can work with the existing roster / schemes to a certain degree. We don't need a complete, ground up reshuffle with every coaching change if we pick some decent players in the upcoming drafts.

need him to have a all powerful GM to make sure each coach isn't a world apart from the previous. Basically avoiding exactly what Snyder has done by going from Norv to Marty to Spurrier to Gibbs to Zorn to Shanahan.

So true.

This is the sole reason it doesn't work. I wonder how Jim Fossil would have done in that mix?

Archived