Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the injuries worth it if it forces team to see what it has in youth?

NoCalMike

When I think of the potential of Niles Paul and Hankerson, I keep having flashbacks to having the same feelings of Thoms & Kelly.

2 WR draft picks that most of us thought would bolster the WR corps to respectability.

Not only did it never happen, but it took the team 3 wasted years of roster space to figure it out.

Weather or not Niles Paul & Hankerson end up as legit NFL WRs or not, I almost feel kind of happy that the issue is being forced and we will get to see them in the game getting reps.

Could it cost us in the short term? Sure. However if they are no-good, I'd much rather find out ASAP and avoid them taking up roster sports for another season or two while the coaches have to slowly evaluate.

On the other hand. If they do start making big plays, maybe being forced into the game will at the same time force them to get better, sooner.

Logan Paulson sure seemed to excel against the Panthers when forced into a role he would have never seen had Cooley not been injured.

With Hightower down, Helu is certain to get a lot more reps now.

The youth movement has begun, ready or not, here it comes!

Hankerson and Niles Paul will be just fine. How Hankerson slipped to the 3rd round of the draft, I have no idea. But they are apart of a bright future for the Redskins. Hankerson had some dropped passes in preseason, probably due to rookie jitters. But with Moss out, and Armstrong, and Austin definitely in the WR mix, I'm expecting Hankerson to finally get a chance to show what he can do in an NFL game.

With Hightower down, Helu and Torain will get a bulk of the rushes. Royster, who fumbled in preseason on the first play of the final preseason game, should have grown up a little since then. I'd be surprised if Mike Shanahan doesn't activate him to the 53 man roster. Paulsen could have had a much bigger day than he did if he had been involved in the passing game a little more. He's more of a blocking TE, but he can catch the ball as well. Don't forget he had a TD reception last season against Tampa Bay.

I hope you're right, but people (mostly fans who don't know whats going on) are talking about bringing in a vet WR to bolster the crops. I hope that doesn't happen because I want to live and die with our team as its currently composed, so we can assess our needs in the offseason and hopefully get better by signing more young players.

I agree NCM. I remember feeling the same way you did about MK & DT, perhaps even against my better judgement, and the concerns of some posters who warned of the issues with them coming out of college. Fortunately, we aren't dealing with the same animal when it comes to the young guys we have now, but I agree whole heartedly, lets get them on the field, see what we have, what potential exists there, and move forward. Times a wasting.

You never want to see folks get injured, but it is a part of the game. I agree that I want to see what they can do before several years have passed us by. We really need to assess our talent in actual game-time situations. I trust the coach, but it really gets old not seeing young folks getting any or very little playing time at the expense of some veterans (e.g. galloway, williams, stallworth, gaffney, etc.). Our talent scouts did their job and we drafted them, SO LET THE KIDS PLAY!!! With the injuries adding up, it is time for the young players to SINK OR SWIM!!!

Sorry, but i don't feel it's worth it.

Prime example is Moss being out, now even if youngins get in, there's no one except Davis to pull coverage away from them. Teams are going to man-up, 8-in the box, until Moss gets back, if not the rest of the season. And there's only so much we're going to be able to do for blocking with all the injuries on the o-line. If they wanted experience, I feel they should've earned the playing time like everyone else.

Now, they gotta deal with the fact we're already powerless on offense, plus dropping like flies from injuries? Just how much "experience" does anyone expect these guys to get if they end up having to line up in front corners like Asomaugh and Revis, whom are both still on the schedule?

But that's just my opinion...

When I think of the potential of Niles Paul and Hankerson, I keep having flashbacks to having the same feelings of Thoms & Kelly.

I don't get that feeling at all with these two. Kelly's problem was health (which we completely ignored on draft day) and Thomas thought the world owed him something and seemingly was totally unwilling to put in the work. Both Paul and Hank have a reputation of being workers, give them some time. There are a litany of receivers who didn't do squadoosh for several years before breaking out.

Weather or not Niles Paul & Hankerson end up as legit NFL WRs or not, I almost feel kind of happy that the issue is being forced and we will get to see them in the game getting reps.

Could it cost us in the short term? Sure. However if they are no-good, I'd much rather find out ASAP and avoid them taking up roster sports for another season or two while the coaches have to slowly evaluate.

On the other hand. If they do start making big plays, maybe being forced into the game will at the same time force them to get better, sooner.

Amen. I am not that worried about injuries. Despite the 3-1 start, it was never about this year. All these injuries help us evaluate what we have and might just help us be bad enough that we won't have to trade up for a QB!

With Hightower down, Helu is certain to get a lot more reps now.

The youth movement has begun, ready or not, here it comes!

I am very much looking forward to it, record be damned.

Injuries happen.

At least we finally HAVE some youth to go out and play.

Sure is nice to not be scouring the waiver wire hoping to catch up.

Let the seasoning commence.

~Bang

Exactly. It's the same thing as 'cheering for us to lose out.'. I would never cheer for injuries but they have happened so it will give the coaches a chance to see what these young guys have to offer.

The biggest problem for the young guys is that they have Beck and/or Grossman throwing the ball to them so they have more than one hurdle to overcome to show what they have.

Sure is nice to not be scouring the waiver wire hoping to catch up.

Let the seasoning commence.

~Bang

Yes it feels good. And in alot of instances its nothing better than a young, hungry player with something to prove. Actually i'm kind of excited to see what they can do with extended PT.

I would never say an injury to your starting guy is 'worth it'... but in many cases with this roster, the talent-gap between our veterans and young guys isn't that far apart.

Cooley being out is a good thing in my opinion- not much of a contributor at this point and I think he's ready for the broadcast booth.

Hightower played really well IMO but he barely had a grasp on the starting spot. Excited for Torain and Helu combo.

Moss is a big loss but the backup who has impressed every time he plays is also the one no one seems to talk about: Austin. Let that boy play!

Losing Lichtenschleger (can't believe I spelled that right without googling first), Atogwe, and Trent is obviously not cool because other than TE, RB, an WR, we have pretty weak depth all around.

I'm willingly to let the youngin stallions hit the field, but not at the expense of losing games while the coaches try out their new sportscars.

Injuries to your good players are never worth it, but it does allow the younger ones to step up and make an impression to get a starting job. I did not feel that the comb could ever contribute as he was never healthy regardless of who else was hurt.

Our WR corps will look much different and maybe that is a positive and we can see what these guys have. Cooley was not doing much and Paulsen may be the real deal. Tana was usually a pretty solid performer, but I am excited to see what the young guys can do.

I don;t like any injuries ever on the O line.

Hightower is the youth movement, only 25.

OJ has shown me nothing this year and cant stay healthy, so getting some rookies some time is fine with me,

Unformtunately, at week six, this is already feeling like a dress rehersal for next year(s), which quite honestly, it probably was in week one.

Moss is a big loss but the backup who has impressed every time he plays is also the one no one seems to talk about: Austin. Let that boy play!

Amen! And bring up Aldrick Robinson!

Losing Lichtenschleger (can't believe I spelled that right without googling first), Atogwe, and Trent is obviously not cool because other than TE, RB, an WR, we have pretty weak depth all around..

Lichtensteiger!

I guess so, but folks need to remember the 'kids' are evaluated in training camp, preseason, and every practice. It's not like the only way to determine their skill is real playing time. I'd rather have the best players on the field and win games.

Very glad to see the YOUTH movement.

Too bad it was FORCED upon us.

Looking forward to see more LOGAN P!

Whomever is responsible for finding our TE's should take over looking for WRs!!!!

Well the youth movement wasn't really forced on us. We've been going younger ever since the middle of last year...

The only injury that really hurts us right now is Trent. There is a chance losing Hightower and Licht could even make us better. As of now I'd call losing Moss a negative as well, but that could even change a bit if the young guys step up. The two current guys I really want healthy are Trent and Atogwe.

Archived