Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disappointed in Orakpo's Play

megared

And then there's this argument. There's holding every play. Deal with it. Perhaps Orakpo needs to get better at selling it. Or maybe what you see as holding, the refs see as acceptable. But I'm so tired of this argument. I'm sure that our offensive linemen hold as much as anyone else's.

That's funny, I don't remember making an argument. I pointed out a play that looked identical to one that I have seen go uncalled many many times.

I'm not sure how you can rank Landry over Orakpo, considering Landry has been average to below average for most of his career.

So I guess I don't know what you expect out of Brian Orakpo. Maybe he has to be the best ever in order to please you. This thread reminds me of the Brandon Banks thread where people were ready to cut him because he isn't better than Devin Hester. :ols:

That's funny, I don't remember making an argument. I pointed out a play that looked identical to one that I have seen go uncalled many many times.

I'm not sure how you can rank Landry over Orakpo, considering Landry has been average to below average for most of his career.

So I guess I don't know what you expect out of Brian Orakpo. Maybe he has to be the best ever in order to please you. This thread reminds me of the Brandon Banks thread where people were ready to cut him because he isn't better than Devin Hester. :ols:

No people are ready to cut Banks because he's doing nothing and he apparently has attitude issues. People are only going to look beyond attitude issues as long Banks is performing well.

i agree orakpo is underachieving, but theres no reason why we should trade him. hes still better than most olb in the league. if you want to get rid of players based on performance, how about josh wilson (0 int), dhall (1 int - vince young threw it right to him), landry (0 int, 1 ff), or otogwe (1 int - off a tipped pass). our secondary is god awful. not one of their interceptions was a good play.

they count but it just shows he doesn't come up big in division games aka the most important games.

he can't be counted on to give a consistent effort. sometimes he plays hard, other times he looks uninterested and like he's going half speed. which was the knock on him coming out of college and his has held true in his NFL career. he is physically and athletically gifted enough be a GREAT OLB. but imo he doesn't have the passion to put in the work to reach his full potential.

That's crap. He drew the game winning hold against Dallas last year and blocked a critical kick against the Giants this year to get the wins.

That's also crap about his work ethic. He's one of the hardest working players on the team. I think it's pretty clear you don't follow him that closely.

A win is a win BTW, division wins are nice but going 6-0 in your division guarantees you nothing except that you won 6 games. Just ask the Raiders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzm7ORdwyJ0

easiest sack he'll ever get

Oh so true. Was amazing seeint that.

Problem I have with Orakpo, is that to me he seems to only go QB Sack. He doesn't seem to do anything else than that.

It's been pretty evident on many plays against the eagles, and the panthers that the longest runs were coming his side and he didn't seemed to make himself counting to the opponents.

This doesn't happen much from Kerrigan. I'm wondering if Haslett shouldn't switch Rak and Kerrigan.

It's hurting to see RB runs past Rak so easily on nearly every play coming to his way.

Or maybe the coaches are only asking him to go for a QB Sack, but that's doubtful. So, I'm getting puzzled by Orakpo lately. He should be more consistent beside just getting sack.

When you have outside contain against a mobile quarterback, the inside rip is a poor decision. It opens up the outside running lane.

Unfortunately, Orakpo had the exact opposite problem much of the time. :(

He's not even the best linebacker on the team. London Fletcher > everyone. Landry is the second best defensive player. I would even put Atogwa over Orakpo.

Landry and Orakpo still exist on the same plane for me. I'm awfully glad we have both guys but neither are truly phenomenal players. Landry isn't having the kind of impact he had last year but he's settled into a role and level of play that's still much better than what he had prior to the arrival of this coaching staff.

i agree orakpo is underachieving, but theres no reason why we should trade him. hes still better than most olb in the league. if you want to get rid of players based on performance, how about josh wilson (0 int), dhall (1 int - vince young threw it right to him), landry (0 int, 1 ff), or otogwe (1 int - off a tipped pass). our secondary is god awful. not one of their interceptions was a good play.

When it comes to trades, every player has their price. Most good players are, however, much more valuable to their own team than they are on the trading block and Orakpo would be no exception. The only way he goes is if a Raiders-for-Palmer like trading opportunity arises and those opportunities are incredibly rare in the NFL.

Well then, this thread has sunk into your typical ES hate-fest replete with insensible knee jerk scapegoating and football illiteracy. This thread reads even worse than all the Landry and Sean Taylor hate threads that popped up around here back when.

Time to leave.

You're a good poster, steve, but you'll never be elite until you learn not to whine :pfft:

I love the Redskins -- I hate Redskins fans. One loss and you guys are wanting to trade our BEST player for a spot to draft Luck. Not our best Linebacker, or our best Defensive player, but THE BEST PLAYER ON OUR TEAM. Not that Luck will not be worth it -- he might be the next Montana for all I know. But to trade our best player after one "So-So" game is retarded. Some of you Skins fans should just team hop your way out of here.

I did not realize that Cerrato has over 30 logins for ExtremeSkins.com

What's funny is you guys point to him getting a sack and use that as him playing well. No, he is not playing all that well. He's bad in coverage and he's bad against the run.. he likes to over pursue, take bad angles..

Yes he can get some pressure and even some sacks, but he is no sack master and he's also a liability more times than he isn't.

Orakpo is not the best player on the team like Mr. blind guy above me points out. He isn't even playing as good as our rookie OLB right now. The truth may sting and it does hurt, but it is what it is.. Rak needs to improve.

He has 4.5 sacks.. so that's 5 plays on the entire year that you can say he was a beast... considering how much our defense is on the field this year, there are a lot more plays where he is making mistakes.

I love the Redskins -- I hate Redskins fans. One loss and you guys are wanting to trade our BEST player for a spot to draft Luck. Not our best Linebacker, or our best Defensive player, but THE BEST PLAYER ON OUR TEAM. Not that Luck will not be worth it -- he might be the next Montana for all I know. But to trade our best player after one "So-So" game is retarded. Some of you Skins fans should just team hop your way out of here.

I did not realize that Cerrato has over 30 logins for ExtremeSkins.com

Lol he's not our best player. Fletcher is, by far, the best player on defense. Frankly Kerrigan looks just as good as Orakpo.

And yes, I would gladly trade Rak and our first rounded for Luck. Quarterback is the most important position in football. Look no further than the Volts and Peyton Manning. Last year they were 10-6

Lol he's not our best player. Fletcher is, by far, the best player on defense. Frankly Kerrigan looks just as good as Orakpo.

And yes, I would gladly trade Rak and our first rounded for Luck. Quarterback is the most important position in football. Look no further than the Volts and Peyton Manning. Last year they were 10-6

Kerrigan is better.

Would this thread even exist if we had won the game?

Yea it would. This has been a long time coming. Orakpo gets all the credit in the world when he gets a sack, but somehow escapes all of the blame when the defense is not playing well. If you think that him selling out every play for a sack isn't a major contributor to the defense being sub par against the run, you're being delusional.

For some reason Orakpo gets a pass that Lavar didn't get, Champ never got, Sean-freaking-Taylor never had, and Landry still doesn't receive.

We don't need a 20 sack guy for our defense to be good. I'd rather have all 4 LBs get 5 sacks a piece, and have all of them be accountable for their other duties. Imagine if Fletcher, McIntosh and Kerrigan each only did one thing well...they'd probably all (rightfully) be labelled as liabilities. Not Orakpo though, for whatever reason.

If he's going to be a leader, he has to be held accountable for almost never shedding blocks in the run game, or holding the point of attack, biting on every play fake imaginable, never making high motor plays if the play isn't in his direct vicinity, and not playing smart. The same criticisms were said of him at UT:

Durability is a major concern…Inconsistent…Motor runs hot and cold…Repertoire of pass rush moves is limited…Average instincts and awareness…Doesn’t use his hands well…Has a narrow base…Is not overly stout at the point of attack and can be run at…Has some trouble shedding blocks…Underachieved early in his career…Is he a ‘tweener?
Lacks ideal lower-body strength, though. Struggles to anchor at times versus bigger OL that can get into his body.
The biggest question about Orakpo is his position. He has ideal size to be a 3-4 outside linebacker, but the strength to play 4-3 end. Doesn’t have the most awareness and can be fooled by misdirection plays. Relies too much on speed and strength instead of technique. Orakpo’s desire is questionable because it appears at time that he’ll take plays off. Needs to hustle more when a running play is past him.

How much of this has he improved in his time in the NFL? How much growth has he had into developing into one of the best OLBs in the league?

WTF, wasn't he NFC defensive player of the week like two or three weeks ago???

I'll admit I too feel he can be better and learn some more pass rushing moves. But for a third year player who already has two pro-bowls under his belt I feel a lot of ya'll are being too hard on him. Never be comfortable in the 3-4? Trade bait for Luck? What?

And anyone seriously feeling we should get rid of him, I'd like to see a realistic alternative playing opposite Kerrigan that you feel can do better.

Exactly...

WTF, wasn't he NFC defensive player of the week like two or three weeks ago???

I'll admit I too feel he can be better and learn some more pass rushing moves. But for a third year player who already has two pro-bowls under his belt I feel a lot of ya'll are being too hard on him. Never be comfortable in the 3-4? Trade bait for Luck? What?

And anyone seriously feeling we should get rid of him, I'd like to see a realistic alternative playing opposite Kerrigan that you feel can do better.

Exactly...

You're stuck on accolades and we're talking about the things that would make him be the dominant player we all envisioned him being. Yes, he won NFC Defensive Player of the Week...but who was it against again? Furthermore, the last time he won that award who was it against? And what do those two teams have in common? I'd like nothing more than to see him get one on a week when we play a divisional opponent.

Pro Bowls mean little to nothing because of how they're decided. Especially when players make Pro Bowls because other players decline to play, or are injured. I think All-Pro accolades are a better indicator of someone being elite.

I'm not saying to trade him or cut him. But it's certainly disappointing to think that Orakpo's ceiling right now consists of making plays on less than 10% of the snaps he's in for.

Plenty of DE/OLBs get juked by Vick. The guy is incredibly tough to tackle in open field. It seems like he is starting to use other pass rush moves, but for the most part I think you are right about that. Some weeks he shows up in run D and others he doesnt. He is playing pretty good, but still not as developed as I had hoped he would be in his 3rd year

Orakpo is perfect ammo to use in a trade up to get Luck.

I love the guy, but he won't ever become a DeMarcus Ware type

I am going to apologize for this post. In the emotion of the loss after I posted something really silly.

I would not include 'Rak in a package to move up to number 1. He is going to be a force on this D for a very long time.

Archived