Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disappointed in Orakpo's Play

megared

Have to say it...this guy is shaping up to be a very one dimensional player.

Two examples come to mind:

Play vs. the Eagles where he is unblocked...and comes free, then proceeds to get completely juked by Vick. There were scrambles where Vick was able to dodge defenders and get upfield by going to where Orakpo vacated. On the opposite end, when he stayed at home on the Atogwe blitz, Vick had no lane and had to go down.

Today he just appeared to be useless if he isn't rushing the QB. Weak supporting the run, propensity to over pursue, and terrible in coverage. You just have to be able to cover a back out of the flats, there's no way around it.

And the most infuriating thing is that he still only has ONE damn pass rush move.

On the other hand, Kerrigan is shaping up to be everything you want out of an OLB. Stout against the run, not looking completely lost in coverage, as well as doing what it takes to get to the QB. He even has an INT, and a TD, two things Orakpo lacks in year 3 in the league.

I'm not implying that Orakpo is a wasted pick...but maybe he wasn't the steal of that draft in retrospect. Possibly the teams drafting ahead of us recognized weaknesses we didn't?

I hope he gets it together, because we need for him to take that step towards being a more well rounded player. I know I'm tired of teams running right at him and seeing him either: getting sealed easily, or running himself out of the play.

I agree. I'm actually rather surprised other fans feel the same way.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 06:39 PM ----------

What are you talking about? #98 got to Cam Newton today for a sack. He did fine today.

No one on the defense did fine today. No one.

What are you talking about? #98 got to Cam Newton today for a sack. He did fine today.

I love Rak and he's a natural at 3-4 OLB but he needs to make more plays. For example he has a blind side hit on Cam and he needs to at least go for the strip. He also needs to do a better job holding the edge on his side..He's been picked on the last two weeks and it's resulted in big plays for the Eagles and Panthers.

Orakpo is perfect ammo to use in a trade up to get Luck.

I love the guy, but he won't ever become a DeMarcus Ware type

he is a demarcus ware type and that's what makes him not as impressive.

he is a rush olb. he's not good in coverage, he has trouble with his assignments, and he bites on fakes too often.

if haz did nothing but move rak around so he could rush from the weakest side of the field all the time he would put up better sack numbers, but they're trying to make him a complete LB and it's not going well.

I love Rak and he's a natural at 3-4 OLB but he needs to make more plays. For example he has a blind side hit on Cam and he needs to at least go for the strip. He also needs to do a better job holding the edge on his side..He's been picked on the last two weeks and it's resulted in big plays for the Eagles and Panthers.

The verdict may be out on him. He is going to have to make adjustments in order to truly be a great one.

Wow what are you smoking???

He's just watching the game and coming up with the same legitimate criticisms of Orakpo that others have been bringing up for some time now. Orakpo is an elite physical specimen but he is not an elite pass rusher and his coverage and run-stopping skills are somewhat lacking.

Although your OP has merit, on a day when the defense was as poor as ours today, right across the board, it's unfair to start signalling out individual players.

Hail.

as long as their not named beck. he can be called out.

but not a guy who missed at least 3 plays that lead to big gains on the ground.

Mike Vick is probably gonna be able to juke and DL and LB in the league, so im not sure why your so upset there. And today they were running the option with Rak being the guy they were optioning and he struggled today. Then again everyone did. Nobody was flying to the ball and they couldnt make any stops.

Ive been saying it all year. He's missing something and i dont know if its him or design by coaches. No inside move at all and offenses are pushing him/helping him go very wide. Followed by a run in the void. Today i think he bit on every play action pass they ran. The Eagles exposed what i was talking about and today the Panthers just picked on him all day.

I cant dump on my man to much though. I still think he will be an elite pass rusher, just needs a lil polishing.

I was disappointed in the entire defense today with the exception on Kerrigan.

Trade Osackpo? No way. and whats this about Orakpo having a small frame?!?! Same as D. Ware, but trade him? Seriously? You want to trade a first round pick and 98 for a chance at Luck? Because that's what its going to take to get him! I don't know if you saw the game today or not , but the last thing we should be doing is giving away our best players. What about the fact that Fletcher is set to retire soon? If anything Lets look at the opportunity to train Orakpo for the inside and a replacement as a possible leader for the D!

Archived