Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disappointed in Orakpo's Play

megared

he had 6.5 sacks between the raiders game two years ago and the rams game this year. i think that's kind of what they're talking about. he shows up big against inferior talent and then gets harder to find against better talent.

I hear that but to me when a pass rusher causes a holding call (like the dallas game) that's worth mentioning...I wonder if there are stats on holding calls against him

Orakpo may not be elite, but he's a good player, and you can't take that away from him.

Atogwe is a missing piece a la Ryan Clark,and our corners are highly overrated. DeAngelo Hall has to be one of the most overrated corners ever. Carlos Rogers was underrated due to his crappy hands but at least he stopped passes.

We need a better DL first and foremost. Maybe Jenkins will solve that. Maybe he won't.

Then we need a better CB.

Then we need a better ILB as Rocky McIntosh lacks a certain instinct... He is rarely in the right place at the right time, though his mean streak is there.

I concur with the posts about Kerrigan being a beast. He is looking good so far and I love seeing that kid in burgundy and gold. I will say that Orakpo is not as strong at stopping the run and certainly not in coverage as he is at pass rush. However, concerning his run defense, that is a team problem and I wouldn't get very hung up on it being an Orakpo problem.

If anything, I'd call it a Haslett problem.

I've said the same thing for a few years now, and it goes something like that:

Orakpo is not a good OLB. He's improving each year in the OLB department. His run support and coverage were poor when he first transitioned. Now, his run support is getting better, but he has relapses (today, specifically) and his coverage is slightly better than it was when he started playing. Where Orakpo is strongest is on the pass rush. He is an ELITE pass rusher. and a mediocre or below average OLB.

Meanwhile, Kerrigan is turning out to be a better OLB, and a slightly worse pass rusher. Although, I'd still qualify him as a good pass rusher. Kerrigan is simply more well rounded. Rak is a better pass rusher than he is a backer, by a mile.

I'd like to see Rak moving around and blitzing from all angles... try to limit his exposure to coverage and outside contain.

I hear that but to me when a pass rusher causes a holding call (like the dallas game) that's worth mentioning...I wonder if there are stats on holding calls against him

oh absolutely that counts. that game was won on two plays, one by hall and one by orakpo.

but when they talk about him racking up non-division sacks those two games came immediately to mind so i looked it up.

actually dhall and orakpo share some similarities. orakpo is more solid day in and day out, but they both have huge games that earn them reputations that aren't always deserved.

Doesn't mean he didn't play well (sigh)

Imagine if Brian's name was called every time he screwed up today.

I think it does. It's not like Kerrigan is playing on the line filling gaps. Sorry but Kerrigan registering just 2 tackles today is unacceptable.

Amazing how fast you guys turn on our star players. RAK is a hand-in-the-dirt kinda player, but he's still playing damn well as a LB. I recently read a comparison between the Skins, Ravens, and Steelers in terms of LB tandems. Now I realize RAK's motor sometimes causes him to overrun some plays, but to trade him, or to bash him in any way is silliness. RAK/Kerrigan will be a HOF LB duo, we simply need to give these KIDS time to mature and perfect their craft. Sometimes our fan base can be so unfaithful.

I agree that im disappointed in Orakpos play thus far this season but the talk that we should trade him is retarded.......please redskin folk lets wait till mid year next year before we even think about trading our top players. If we suck mid year next year i will say blow it up but not now we are younger our defense all be it may be overrated but they are much better from last year...i have no reason to think we were going to the super bowl or even the playoffs before this year and i have no reason to beleive we need to trade the house just to get luck.

jesus christ what do you want? Orakpo's not good enough? You want to trade him? Fine, we'll just get a bunch of guys who are better than Orakpo. And when they fail to put up 20 sacks, we'll just get guys who are even better.

sdgjgfaskgldfafjksgdhfa

I agree to some extent. He is not playing well other than getting sacks. There is a reason they ran the option to his side and the screen plays. They know that they will not have to block him. He will either take himself out of the play by running full steam upfield or they will just cut underneath him. On the one option play he was running down the line and Cam ran right by him with the ball!!! Notice that this did not happen on Kerrigan's side of the field. I love the guy on passing downs but he has to play better against the run.

Can someone please elaborate on what pass rush moves he needs to use, just want to gain knowledge

On many plays Orakpo typically tends to rush the passer by simply trying to beat his blocker around the edge. He's quick enough to make this work more often than it ought to but it's really not the most effective way to get to the QB in the NFL unless you can make the blocker think you're going to do something else. Trying to get around the blocker like that also causes Orakpo to be way out of position as a run defender when he misdiagnoses a play. Orakpo has a decent bull rush as well owing to his strength but bull rushing really isn't the best move to employ coming off the edge of the line unless, once again, you can catch a blocker off-guard. The two moves are not the best complements to each other, either.

As for what's missing for Orakpo to ascend his game to the next level, you might hear slightly different opinions depending on who you ask. Most people would absolutely love it if Orakpo developed a spin move (ala Dwight Freeney) but I'm not entirely sure it's in the cards given his physical tools. The real key with him is hand use, hand use, hand use. He needs to get better at preventing offensive linemen from getting their hands on him (especially the dreaded hook around the neck that typically stops his outside rushes dead in their tracks) and he needs to learn to manipulate the weight of his blockers with his hands. A well-developed rip, club, or swim move would do wonders for his game, particularly if he used them to work his way to the inside of his blocker instead of pushing around the outside on virtually every play.

Here's an article on Osi Umenyiora from earlier in the season that somewhat demonstrates what Orakpo needs to do (good quote by Freeney in there, too): http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/sports/football/giants-umenyiora-perfects-pass-rush-move-building-career-around-it.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=nationalfootballleague

People are freaking out about Orakpo missing contain against zone option read QB keeper plays against Cam Newton and Michael Vick. It's Cam Newton and Michael Vick. That's going to happen with them.

Pass rushing creativity could be a legit concern, but saying Orakpo has only one pass rush just isn't accurate.

Talk of trading him strikes me as absurd. I see more talk of trading out best players off on extreme skins than the whole of the internet elsewhere.

Orakpo needs to play better against the pass. That's going to be his weakness for the rest of his career. Against the run, I think he'll be fine. Like someone said earlier, we faced 2 explosive, running QBs. You're crazy if you want to trade one of the few young bright spots we have on defense.

p.s. I will agree that Kerrigan looks better all around than Orakpo this year and that's a good thing. Why not have 2 solid OLBs?

Can someone please elaborate on what pass rush moves he needs to use, just want to gain knowledge

He has shown very little in the way of pass rushing outside of the outside, shoulder dip speed rush. Very, very rarely do you see him bull rush or inside rush. A spin move, an outside jab step followed by an inside cut or just getting under a guy's pad level and driving him back, all things he needs to add to game. With his speed, he shouldn't have a problem keeping tackles off balance, they're all expecting the outside speed rush. I can't for the life of me figure out why he can't capitalize on that to open up other lanes and moves.

He has shown very little in the way of pass rushing outside of the outside, shoulder dip speed rush. Very, very rarely do you see him bull rush or inside rush. A spin move, an outside jab step followed by an inside cut or just getting under a guy's pad level and driving him back, all things he needs to add to game. With his speed, he shouldn't have a problem keeping tackles off balance, they're all expecting the outside speed rush. I can't for the life of me figure out why he can't capitalize on that to open up other lanes and moves.

When you have outside contain against a mobile quarterback, the inside rip is a poor decision. It opens up the outside running lane.

Archived