Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disappointed in Orakpo's Play

megared

Yep. Already brought this up in the post game LB Discussion thread.

Either convert back to a 4-3, or trade Rak. He has not progressed as a complete linebacker. He has not developed his technique as a pass rusher. He is being given too much responsibility to disappear like this on a regular basis.

Yep. Already brought this up in the post game LB Discussion thread.

Either convert back to a 4-3, or trade Rak. He has not progressed as a complete linebacker. He has not developed his technique as a pass rusher. He is being given too much responsibility to disappear like this on a regular basis.

Go back to a 4-3? Why? You'd really change schemes back for one player? Was Rak that good in a 4-3? NO. His stats were skewed by a 4 sack performace versus Jamarcus Russell in Oakland.

7 games, has 5 sacks and you want to trade him?! He'll end up having double digits in sacks. This sentiment is foolish to say the least.

It's not all about sack numbers, many of those have come against blown assignments. That's now three games in a row where the opposing QB, on all but a couple plays, was never moved of his spot or forced to throw the ball before he wanted to. Popping up for one sack a game on one play while providing no rush to the QB the rest of the game is not my idea of quality, consistent play. QBs are enjoying perfect pockets against and have all year except for the Rams and Cardinals.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 12:40 PM ----------

There's a reason why---he's the most held rusher in the NFL. If you watch the games, the guy simply doesn't get the calls. He's blocked MMA style at least 4 times a game or more!

You're right, he's an unstoppable monster.....if only there wasn't a conspiracy by the league and the refs to hold him down he would be beasting out. How many years are people going to keep spouting this drivel before they realize it's mostly on Rak?

7 games, has 5 sacks and you want to trade him?! He'll end up having double digits in sacks. This sentiment is foolish to say the least.

stop looking at numbers only. Orakpo is one of those players that is flashy and LOOKS really good... He's got great stats, hes got a barbarian low voice, and he looks like the type of guy you would want to follow in to a huge battle in ancient times.

BUT,

Lets looks past all the flashiness of Orakpo, he's got all the physical attributes, but to be honest it does not translate in to a productive consistent OLB. He's good at rushing the passer, but he severely lacks in the other parts of being a LB.

Biggest disappointment by Orakpo is when he uses his momentum so much that when a QB sidesteps out of the pocket, he loses containment because hes always 10 yards deep in the backfield trying to get around the tackle with his strength and speed.

He also is non-existent in the run game. let me repeat. NON-EXISTENT. We saw two plays last night where Kerrigan was able to locate the running back in the backfield and take him down for a loss.... I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT from Orakpo.

sorry, but the guy is a pure 4-3 DE, were wasting his talents using him as an OLB.

His issues aren't limited to his other-than-rushing responsibilities as a LB, he'd have similar issues with the run and lack of instincts and pass rushing arsenal as a DE. He's the same player he was when he showed up here 3 years ago, the same limitations and mistakes are still just as prevalent and they're mostly mental. He has all the physical tools but his recognition and development of alternate moves just hasn't been there.

I love Orakpo... have his autograph and the last authentic I purchased was Orakpo last year... BUT....

Texans OLB Mario Williams (injured reserve, torn pectoral), is expected to be back at 100 percent by January or February.

Williams' 3-4 months of rehab should not affect his value as a free agent. The Texans will have until late February to decide whether to use the franchise tag on Williams -- if they don't sign him to a long-term deal before then. The 2006 No. 1 overall pick has proven to be a dominant player as an end in a 4-3 scheme or an outside 'backer in the Texans' current 3-4 alignment. Oct 16 - 10:50 AM

His issues aren't limited to his other-than-rushing responsibilities as a LB, he'd have similar issues with the run and lack of instincts and pass rushing arsenal as a DE. He's the same player he was when he showed up here 3 years ago, the same limitations and mistakes are still just as prevalent and they're mostly mental. He has all the physical tools but his recognition and development of alternate moves just hasn't been there.

Makes sense, but i do think that he would have much less of a responsibility in the pass coverage and he would be slightly less involved in the run game if he was back as a 4-3 DE. Let the damn kid do what he does best, and thats stick his hand in the dirt, give him that tunnel vision and let him go.

I STRONGLY believe that if he was in a 4-3. he would be that elite playmaker

Makes sense, but i do think that he would have much less of a responsibility in the pass coverage and he would be slightly less involved in the run game if he was back as a 4-3 DE. Let the damn kid do what he does best, and thats stick his hand in the dirt, give him that tunnel vision and let him go.

I STRONGLY believe that if he was in a 4-3. he would be that elite playmaker

He's only in coverage a couple plays a game, that hasn't even really hurt us. Not maintaining gap discipline and contain in the run game and inconsistent pressure due to a lack of an inside rush game and use of his hands are his two primary issues and they wouldn't be masked by playing 4-3 DE.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 01:07 PM ----------

So the other rushers on the team played awesome yesterday, and the past few weeks, but Orakpo was bad? I'll have to rewatch those games...

No, they were all pretty bad at generating pressure. We haven't put any kind of consistent pressure on QBs outside of the Rams and Cardinals. In particular these last two games have been bad. We got a few sacks on Cam, mostly from blown protection assignments, but outside of that the QB has had all the time in the world he wanted. Kerrigan, to this point, is stronger in the run game but he's obviously young. It would certainly help both the OLBs if there was an inside rush from somewhere.

Unless you have a plan to get somebody better, getting rid of Orakpo makes no sense.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 01:19 PM ----------

Also, people need to remember that nobody gets to Fitzpatrick. There's a reason he leads the league in fewest times being sacked.

Unless you have a plan to get somebody better, getting rid of Orakpo makes no sense.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 01:19 PM ----------

Also, people need to remember that nobody gets to Fitzpatrick. There's a reason he leads the league in fewest times being sacked.

This is the main reason why i would NOT want to trade Orakpo even though i think he is a one-trick pony. Who the hell would we put in there if Orakpo is gone? Same goes with the people who want to trade Landry. I'm hoping that with a TRUE pocket-collapsing NT, Orakpo could improve.

i posted this on the last page.... if we outbid (we are very capable of) the Texans for Mario Williams, you do that deal in a heartbeat and trade Orakpo for a 1st rounder and some other picks, plus have a better player in Mario Williams...... and I love Orakpo btw

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 01:46 PM ----------

Who cares? Rob Jackson is just as capable of running up the field and trying to get the edge as Orakpo.

Or we can address it in the draft. Simply get an undersized, speed rushing defensive end in the third or fourth round.

or let my boy Markus White play ;)

Does Mario play OLB better than Orakpo?

Sure, Markus White. He's essentially what we need. Bring him in on passing downs.

Oh and I think Kerrigan should move over to weakside

Is that a serious question? Mario Williams and Demarcus Ware on the same level of domination. Orakpo is good, but i wouldn't put him in their elite status

You're right, he's an unstoppable monster.....if only there wasn't a conspiracy by the league and the refs to hold him down he would be beasting out. How many years are people going to keep spouting this drivel before they realize it's mostly on Rak?

I don't know how many games I've watched, where the commentators say time and time again, "Orakpo gets held on nearly every down." Watch the games, you'll learn a lot.

It's getting extremely frustrating that so many on this board want every player on our entire roster to resemble a guy like Sean Taylor or a London Fletcher - someone who pretty much lacks any weakness in their game and is/are on a likely trajectory that puts them into the HOF.

Look, I don't think anyone on this board is going to say that Orakpo is an All-Pro run stopper. That is not his game and it never has been his forte. That being said, his peers on the field and coaches across the league have 2/3 of the vote and have sent him to the Pro-Bowl in each of his first two seasons. He plays with a high motor, he's a leader on our defense and is someone the coaches have consistently praised and purposely went in to the draft looking to help him out and build around him. A professional coaching staff does not do that for some scrub, especially not one they are going to trade away.

Great teams are not built with 22 flawless players. They typically need a phenomenal quarterback and multiple star players on offense and defense but that doesn't mean star players don't have weaknesses. Orakpo fits that mold. There is a reason that special rings of players like the HOF are so elite - few players are going to reach that level and you can't expect it. I would say we have more than made out with drafting Orakpo and he's not a replaceable player - look at how many guys were taken just in that draft, let alone others, specifically to rush the passer and have busted as a pass-rusher and pretty much everything else.

You take a great pass-rusher like Orakpo and you build around him. Orakpo would be much more productive in that role if we every played with a lead but that's simply not going to happen for us any time soon. The man is in his 3rd year in the league. Do I wish he'd developed a larger repertoire of moves? Sure, but I think his bull and speed rushes are outstanding and have resulted in plenty of sacks for this team this year and not just from him. I wish he was more dominant and among the tops in the league in terms of sacks but he's not quite there yet and I cannot overstate that I think this team keeps him from being there - if we were a team like the Colts have been in the past or the Texans now who consistently play with multiple score leads, it makes it easier on pass-rushers because they KNOW the other team is going to throw the ball on almost every play.

Anyone who has turned their back on Orakpo and wants him gone is insane.

I don't know how many games I've watched, where the commentators say time and time again, "Orakpo gets held on nearly every down." Watch the games, you'll learn a lot.

Thats fine and dandy that commentators say Orakpo's getting held...however ppl make it seem like other OLB's or DE's dont get held in the league which simply is not correct the other ones find a way out of it instead of just trying to bullrush through it....

So tired of that excuse... So there is a conspiracy against Orakpo? Do other pass rushers not get held as much?

Orakpo is an avg linebacker. Could he develop more moves and improve? of course and I hope he does...

Archived