Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Desperate Eagles call players only meeting

GibbsFactor

I'm going to jump into the "worry" convo and mention that I'm not overly concerned sine playoffs or a division title would be at least a year ahead of schedule, in my opinion. This season is still a building year for me so it won't feel like we've blown an opportunity if we don't win games.

I suppose that if we got to 8-3 or something, I'd have to start adopting a "why the F not" mentality, but that's not likely and a long way off. I had us at 1-4 after the Eagle game and still finishing 7-9, so any outcome in any game at this point seems feasible.

Not going to lie... I'm so ****ing scared.

Why? They should be the one's scared. In fact, they are scared. They are already toast and they have to play a team that is going to want nothing more than to get revenge for last year's humiliating loss in our house and solidify the #1 spot in the division. We just had a division loss. This is also a must win for us. If our team can't come out intense and punch those jokers in the mouth, then all of this hype during the season is meaningless.

You guys are just too stuck in the recent past. I'm just having a hard time seeing how a team in utter collapse can all of a sudden play good defense. The Eagles can be explosive on O, but they are going against our D, which is pretty beast.

This game is setting up to be a textbook loss for the Redskins. It'll be interesting to see if we can take the best the eagle's got.

:yes: big time ...

textbook is the perfect word.

this game is a test of wills. There is no doubting that this "means" more to them then it does us, but if the skins were stone cold killers, that would not matter, they would give the iggles the "dagger."

but alas, this org has not had that killer instinct for years ...

i really feel they won't have the stones to slam the door shut.

Not going to lie... I'm so ****ing scared.

turner_norv.jpg

"Don't worry...I'm not coaching this team anymore. "

Seriously though, I know what you mean...but I think this team is the first team since before the Norv years that has fire in the belly. I have faith and confidence that they won't stumble and bumble their way into mistakes and let an opportunity pass them by. We will pull this one out and will sit at 4-1 @ 4pm as NE gets ready to feast on Dallas.

I'm not worried. I mean, I kind of am, but I'm not. For one, we're not overlooking them. No one is going "well they're 1-4, they're done." This team has been thumped by it's fair share of bad football teams. The Redskins will come ready. They may lose, but it won't be a horrible loss, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the loss won't even be because of turnovers if it happens. I'm not scared of Nnamdi, Samuel and DRC.

The other part is just what Chaney said. Only without the grammatical torture; this notion the Eagles have that "No one can beat us." Dude. You just lost three straight games. If Steven Jackson didn't get hurt in week one, there's a giant chance they lose that game. Anyone can beat you, you friggin' dummy. That's the whole problem. "No one can beat us".

Anyone can beat you. If they had a player's only meeting and said "Hey, we're the Eagles, look at all the GUYS we have! No one can beat us!". Yes. Any given Sunday, ya jerks.

They still have the wrong mentality. The mentality that they can't lose. They can. And as long as they think they're just going to be able to beat teams based on the guys on their roster rather than the quality of their play, they're going to keep losing.

Wow, some of the things I'm reading are just incredible. Just because the Eagles held this players only meeting doesn't mean the Skins are in for a beat down come Sunday. The Eagles are definitely at a crossroads and they're looking for anything to jump-start their season. Plus their bye week is coming up and need something positive to happen before they get there. The Skins just need to stay focused on the task at hand. They know this story is out there now, but it shouldn't distract them from what they have to do. I don't think Shanahan will let this faze them either. These type of things always come out when things are going wrong for a team and will always be pointed to if they do turn it around. Focus and execution are the key.

Amazing! The 'talented' Eagles held a meeting to supposedly 'gel' behind their coach. And now some Washington fans are starting to worry. Please don't forget that this 2011 Redskins team is very mentally tough, and ready for revenge.

When it comes to 'talent' -- I'd take the 2011 Skins over the Eagles -- especially when 'talent' means intestinal fortitude, confidence in the coaching, and a 'refuse to lose' attitude. I like the team cohesion of the Redskins at home over the what the Eagles might be trotting in. That and the fact that I personally cannot stand Vick, regardless of how he's been re-packaged to the USA.

I'm not downplaying the Eagles talent -- but it's more that I'm saying if the Skins hang tough and keep scrapping away as a team -- somehow the Eagles will find yet another way to lose ... one more of those close games that the Eagles 'should have won.' And somehow I suspect there are others in Philadelphia who might be suspecting exactly the same results.

Go Skins!!!

Sorry but one players only meeting isn't going to change a whole lot. Not saying that they can't win but however you want to slice it, they are still a 1-4 team. They still have the same inexperienced d-coordinator. The Skins D has vastly improved since last season. I not only expect a win.... I expect this to be a statement game for the Skins.

You guys are a bunch of negative dweebs

Yep, and understandably so. History has not been kind.

By the statline, we're better than them... However...

Penalties and turnovers will decide this game... and field goals (did I mention I expect it to be close barring a large turnover differential by either team)?

I think our boys believe. They are building something great. I hope they can do enough to win Sunday. As a thread starter stated...I'm worried about being able to score enough points to hang with them. The defense can only hold for so long. They have to play lights out.

I don't know why, but I'm nervous about this one.. Something just feels off.

I always feel that way before an NFCE rivalry game. I think it's a normal reaction at this point. We've been let down for so long it's hard to feel anything else. I'm not really all that nervous this time, tho. I think, even if the Skins lose, they won't lose by much. I think they have been preparing for a team that beat the brakes off of them last year, not a team that has lost 4 games in a row.

From what I am hearing, Reid isn't adjusting away from his weaknesses, he's sticking to his guns & running defensive schemes that aren't working. That's typical Andy Reid (not adjusting). I'm only nervous because it's gonna be a close, tough, hard fought game & winning it means we remain in sole possession of 1st place in the East & among the top teams in the League in Week 6.

I can see Cooley calling a Skins players-only meeting now too. Granted we're 4-1, but we haven't blown anyone out and Cooley's vet enough to know how tough it is to keep winning tight games. So I can see him calling the meeting and then pie-ing whoever's birthday it is, before having a group hug.

I'm not worried about them scoring as long as we stick to our gameplan---run.

The Eagles were firmly out of that game until the Bills decided to start throwing the ball. It played right to their strengths and it allowed the offense to get back on the field. The way you beat the Eagles is, you get the ball first, you don't defer, and then you manage the hell out of the clock and limit their opportunities to get back on the field. Period. Their offense is explosive, yet sluggish. They put up points in bunches. When they need to put up points, it seems like they can't. So you manage the clock, keep them on the field, and by time they get up to play the game, hopefully you've got enough points on the board to keep them at bay.

I think our boys believe. They are building something great. I hope they can do enough to win Sunday. As a thread starter stated...I'm worried about being able to score enough points to hang with them. The defense can only hold for so long. They have to play lights out.

If the defense can prevent the Eagles from having too many big plays, the Redskins win. Giving up touchdown bombs in blown coverage situations, or just straight getting beat 1 on 1 is not going to cut it against this team. It does us no good to have a clock controlling 10 minute drive that results in a rushing touchdown, if Vick comes right back on 1-10 with a 90 yard touchdown bomb to Jackson.

I'm sick and tired about hearing how much more "talent" the Eagles have over the Redskins/rest of the league. Yes, the Eagles have extremely "talented" wide receivers, a running back, quarterback, and cornerbacks.. But last I checked, a football team was made up of 53 players. Is there any doubt that we have better interior defensive linemen, pass rushers, interior linebackers, free safety, strong safety, tight ends, tackles and guards and center and kicker and punter? Don't we have a pretty ****ing talented and deep cornerback group? Aren't we far deeper at running back? Don't we have a better coaching staff, better play callers, better discipline, more heart, more toughness, more urgency, more to prove, and so forth?

When the hell was the classification of "talented" players limited merely to wide receivers, running backs, cornerbacks, and quarterback? Oh wait, I forgot, ever since it was bizarrely accepted that those were the "skill positions." Give me a break

The Eagles can absolutely beat us on Sunday, but it's not because they're a better team, and it's not because they're "more talented"

Reportedly, Andy Reid's head coaching job is on the line. The players for the Eagles are trying to put a halt to their losing streak. This is what professional players do.when things aren't going right on the football field. NFL players have been doing this for years. Remember the players meeting with Marty Schotteinheimer ten years ago after the 0-5 start in 2001? As a lifetime Redskin fan, it's great to know that the Redskin players are expecting the 1-4 Eagles to play as if they have a winning record. I'm expecting a close game that could go either way.

The Eagles have those high priced free agents that have just pocketed multi millions of dollars. Every single time this happens the players come out and have a bad year! Their attitude isn't hungry anymore and they loose the step that made them that much better. Now, when you have a player in a contract year that's the complete opposite. We have Landry, Davis, Grossman, and many more in contract years. It matters for their attitude. There is a culture of responsibility at Redskins park. I'm not so sure that the same applies in Philly where Reid's tenure is spiraling down the toilet like one of his big fat turds!

---------- Post added October-13th-2011 at 06:26 AM ----------

I'm sick and tired about hearing how much more "talent" the Eagles have over the Redskins/rest of the league. Yes, the Eagles have extremely "talented" wide receivers, a running back, quarterback, and cornerbacks.. But last I checked, a football team was made up of 53 players. Is there any doubt that we have better interior defensive linemen, pass rushers, interior linebackers, free safety, strong safety, tight ends, tackles and guards and center and kicker and punter? Don't we have a pretty ****ing talented and deep cornerback group? Aren't we far deeper at running back? Don't we have a better coaching staff, better play callers, better discipline, more heart, more toughness, more urgency, more to prove, and so forth?

When the hell was the classification of "talented" players limited merely to wide receivers, running backs, cornerbacks, and quarterback? Oh wait, I forgot, ever since it was bizarrely accepted that those were the "skill positions." Give me a break

The Eagles can absolutely beat us on Sunday, but it's not because they're a better team, and it's not because they're "more talented"

Look, the Eagles lost because they played 4 better teams in 5 weeks. The week they played each one of the teams that beat them, the best team won the game. Forget the talent you have because if you don't have all the other ingredients to put together the right kind of guys and put them in the right positions and with the right scheme and game plan, you're not going to be good enough. There are many other factors in the NFL then talent. Players need that killer instinct and the drive, collectively as one unit. It's like in medieval times where the enemy would ambush you and your entire regimen would come together with their shields, as one, and became impenetrable. The Eagles have a couple of gladiators and non of their heads are in the same game.

Archived