Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAtoday - ESPN pulls MNF Hank Williams Jr. opening due to the Singer comparing Obama to Hitler on Foxnews

@DCGoldPants

Again, having had a chance to think about this, and having heard the excerpt from the actual interview, not only did he not compare Obama to Hitler, he certainly didn't say anything that was derogatory in any way to African Americans. In fact, the only "racially charged" (deliberate exaggeration) statement in this thread, was one of our own posters calling Hank a "redneck." :)

Seriously. He was exaggerating the divide between left and right, and between Obama and Boehner, to make a point. That gap IS enormous right now. And the political discourse around here, and around the water cooler, proves it every day. Hitler and Netanyahu are as polar opposites as they can be. Politically, so are Obama and Boehner.

And frankly, if he weren't a celebrity, saying he "compared Obama to Hitler" would be borderline slanderous. What comparisons did he make? What did he say that proves he meant Boehner was Netanyahu, and Obama was Hitler?

Like I said, he was being overly-dramatic about our political divide. He absolutely chose the wrong reference. But he absolutely DID NOT compare Obama to Hitler.

It was more than just pointing out a divide. He was saying Obama was the enemy, just like Hitler. He made that clear when he said . . . . . . "You know, they’re the enemy. They’re the enemy."

Poor uneducated white people in this country have been duped. Came cheap, too. Just a few false threats about them coming to get their guns and taking God outta the classroom. Poor whites went all in, and fight vehemently for the rights of the ruling elite. It is quite impressive to watch. It really is

what has america come too? are we really going to start a **** storm over a country singer making a poor analogy?

i think his point was that they are two enemies, and shouldn't be acting buddy buddy.

i don't think what he said was smart, but when i want to hear something smart i don't look to entertainers, especially of the country variety.

shouldn't someone come out and against MTV and the cast of Jersey Shore for making it a common household practice to use racist words against italians?

Who is creating a **** storm? The guy said a stupid thing and ESPN made a corporate decision to not be involved with someone who makes moronic political statements. I think mostly everyone is OK with this decision.

The Obama = Hitler comparison is nothing new and not surprising. I don't think anyone is shocked by it.

what has america come too? are we really going to start a **** storm over a country singer making a poor analogy?

i think his point was that they are two enemies, and shouldn't be acting buddy buddy.

Problem is, they shouldn't be "enemies".

They should be two people with differing political opinions who are both working to try to make America better for it's citizens.

That's how it's supposed to work.

Poor uneducated white people in this country have been duped. Came cheap, too. Just a few false threats about them coming to get their guns and taking God outta the classroom. Poor whites went all in, and fight vehemently for the rights of the ruling elite. It is quite impressive to watch. It really is

Don't forget abortion, and it might have all begun with the Southern Strategy.

But anyone who doesn't believe that modern conservatives are overreaching might want to contrast Zoony's posts from several years ago with the stuff he writes today.

The Obama = Hitler comparison is nothing new and not surprising. I don't think anyone is shocked by it.

What if he backtracked and said that was probably an insensitive analogy I meant natural foes like "A monkey playing golf with a banana?" THAT would have been funny...

So it seems to me that when a private corporation decides to part ways with a person who says something controversial, then the private company should not have this right because the guy making the stupid analogy is criticizing Obama.

On this level, how can anyone criticize Disney, a company who markets and sells wholesome non-threatening entertainment? Their entire business plan is based upon creating the perfect place on Earth..and getting you to come there and forget all your cares.

It's the new world. we all have to be careful about what we say publicly.. it's no secret that even our non public lives are under scrutiny.. why don't you post embrassing photos on facebook?.. Our employers also must live in this new world in which perceptions are very important, and can spread very quickly.

if Bocephus didn't want to be misunderstood, he should have made a better analogy. If he didn't want to lose his job, he should take a cue from how the world treats everyone, and paid attention to what he said on television.

Hell, even the Fox Morning Zoo were seemingly taken aback ... even their trainers know that is a step into a minefield in which they can't win.

~Bang

This becomes more obvious everyday. How do we bring them back into the fold?

Maybe it's hopeless

Supposition on my part: they took him off because there are so many blacks in the league and they wanted to avoid controversy, which is their perogative too.

:doh: Monday Night Football is an institution and when your intro involves someone that stirs the pot using the name "Hitler" then I think it is time to sever ties. It's not because there are "so many blacks" in the league or because we have a black president. This would have been the result if President Bush was still in office. This should be offensive to everyone.

see, if Hank REALLY wanted to keep his job with Disney, he would have released a childrens album, and then hidden all kinds of subliminal pictures of penises in the cover art.

They love that sort of thing. You just can't be so subversive out loud. No Hitler analogies, but you can attempt to subliminally sexualize children all you want.

~Bang

Obama and Boehner golfing? Why that would be like Hank Williams III and a high school diploma going golfing...They're mortal enemies!

This post is not getting enough love. :ols:

(but don't be confused. Bocephus is Hank Williams Jr. His son Hank Williams III is actually pretty badass....)

Interesting that on the same day that Hank Williams JR is removed from Monday Night Football, the NFL basically announces that Madonna will be halftime entertainment for the Super Bowl. Why mention that? Because in her concerts for years, Madonna has compared both George Bush and John McCain to Hitler.

Yes, I'm aware the MNF decision was made by ESPN and not the NFL itself and that the Super Bowl decision was made by the NFL.

Interesting that on the same day that Hank Williams JR is removed from Monday Night Football, the NFL basically announces that Madonna will be halftime entertainment for the Super Bowl. Why mention that? Because in her concerts for years, Madonna has compared both George Bush and John McCain to Hitler.

Yes, I'm aware the MNF decision was made by ESPN and not the NFL itself and that the Super Bowl decision was made by the NFL.

And if the NFL decided not to put her on at the Super Bowl, it would be a perfectly understandable business decision on their part.

This suggests to me that ESPN have higher standards of behavior from their vendors than the NFL. :)

This post is not getting enough love. :ols:

(but don't be confused. Bocephus is Hank Williams Jr. His son Hank Williams III is actually pretty badass....)

With no prior knowledge, I guarantee HW3 did not graduate high school. He is, however, pretty badass...as are his father and, especially, grandfather.

He gone.

RT @jksports: ESPN has decided to part ways with Hank Williams, Jr. The full comment is here: es.pn/nBz9hI

---------- Post added October-6th-2011 at 10:26 AM ----------

I don't watch MNF anymore. MNF has gone downhill since moving from ABC to ESPN. MNF has a horrible broadcasting crew. But at least one horrible segment of MNF is gone for good, that annoying Hank Williams Jr. intro. **** that intro. That didn't get you hyped up for football at all. The old MNF sax music did. The instrumental did. That Hank Williams Jr. intro was nonsense.

Here's hoping ESPN simply succumbs to laziness and removes all intros for the rest of the year. We don't need them. Just flash ESPN MNF, the two helmets crashing, and then enter Tirico WELCOME TO MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL I'M MIKE TIRICO ALONG WITH JAWS AND GRUDEN

No need for some 3 or 4 minute dumb musical number

Archived