Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAtoday - ESPN pulls MNF Hank Williams Jr. opening due to the Singer comparing Obama to Hitler on Foxnews

@DCGoldPants

I'll say this again, and I will say this as a Jew. I HATE HATE HATE when people (Politicians, Celebs, everyday people) use Hitler to compare to a person or business they don't like. It shows that the person saying it just doesn't know how to express their hatred for something, and then go back to the well for something that really doesn't relate.
Hitler is off limits. AND I have no problem with HWJ being pulled even though I did not buy into this so-called comparison, because Hitler is off limits.

Ultimately yesterday proved:

HWJ says "Hitler" and "Obama" in span of 2 sentences = little or no story

HWJ pulled from MNF = big story.

Not sure the point you're trying to make here. I'm not going to defend any of those players, or the NFL making money off of those guys.

Do you think the Dixie Chicks after what they said (which was must more tame) should have been banned from clear channel and their stations? When did those country stations with their conservative listeners becomes so liberalized?

All I'm saying is the NFL/ESPN has no room to blow this out of proportion when some player cant even qualify to work for minimum wage at McDonald's due to felony's on there record, throwing hank under the bus but overlooking felons makes no since regardless of who it offends. Also what does the Dixie Chicks have to do with the NFL? two different subjects. My point and the reason I quoted you is that you stated 'it was bad for business' which it is, so I say to the NFL is practice what you preach is all.

Hitler is off limits. AND I have no problem with HWJ being pulled even though I did not buy into this so-called comparison, because Hitler is off limits.

Ultimately yesterday proved:

HWJ says "Hitler" and "Obama" in span of 2 sentences = little or no story

HWJ pulled from MNF = big story.

You and I agree that Hitler is off limits. We don't agree that who he was comparing Hitler too. I felt it was pretty clear. Most folks who are upset seem to think this is a free speech issue, not a "he didn't mean it like that" issue.

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 12:00 PM ----------

All I'm saying is the NFL/ESPN has no room to blow this out of proportion when some player cant even qualify to work for minimum wage at McDonald's due to felony's on there record, throwing hank under the bus but overlooking felons makes no since regardless of who it offends. Also what does the Dixie Chicks have to do with the NFL? two different subjects. My point and the reason I quoted you is that you stated 'it was bad for business' which it is, so I say to the NFL is practice what you preach is all.

We'll see if its bad for business for either ESPN or the NFL. I'm going to guess......no.

Meh.

At least he didn't call him a nappy headed hoe.

Nappy heads as well as nappy wigs, are making a comeback.

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 11:13 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure he compared Obama playing golf with House Speaker John Boehner to Hitler playing golf with (Israeli leader) Benjamin Netanyahu. Yep, pretty sure about that.

Yep he compared how silly it was for enemies in the political sense,allegedly(though I still think Boehner is a Rino forced to move right because of 2012) to be playing golf together.

I wish they would bring back the old school Monday night football theme

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 11:20 AM ----------

It only seems like yesterday when rabid Wisconsin Union types had huge HITLER signs disparaging the Governor and Tea Party members. Dubba Ya was compared to him plenty of times too with vivid signs and editorials, however the opposition became upset when they were reminded how Hitlers policies sans the genocide were left leaning.

But now I guess this HWJ outrage will mean everyone will stop the Hitler and Nazi comparisons. :rolleyes:

And? It was dumb and offensive then and it's dumb and offensive now. And maybe I missed it but I don't remember celebrities going on major news networks and throwing that bull**** out there. I just remember some douches at protests with signs.

Here's a list of people who made Bush=Hitler comparisons:

http://semiskimmed.net/bushhitler.html

There's Fidel Castro (shocker) and...a bunch of people I've never heard of.

That's ok. In conservative memories, every single celebrity in Hollywood called Bush the new Hitler, and what is more, every anchor on CNN agreed with them. :ols:

No, it's only true that you remember it that way.

I just can't find retractions, apologies or people going on Vacation from that list of people who called Dubba ya that word. I can't find anyone on the left calling out the bussed in Union thugs carrying signs or calling the Wisconsin Governor and Tea Party members that word either.

I just can't find retractions, apologies or people going on Vacation from that list of people who called Dubba ya that word.

Because Liberals didn't call him that. That list is utterly obscure. Liberals were supposed to apologize for Ted Rall, who writes a hostile comic strip for the DC City Paper? :ols:

I can't find anyone on the left calling out the bussed in Union thugs carrying signs or calling the Wisconsin Governor and Tea Party members that word either.

Oh, don't be such a little butthurt whiner. You mean these poor innocent tea partiers?

Z8rmL.jpg

ger00.jpg

U0KJb.jpg

He did not compare Obama to Hitler. He did use Obama and Hitler in the same paragraph. People should know by now that there is no proper use of the word Hitler in polite company.

Did you miss this from the article?

Later in the Fox interview with Williams, anchor Gretchen Carlson told Williams he used the name of one of history's most hated men to describe the President.

"Well that's true. But I'm telling you like it is," Williams said.

He did, directly, compare Obama to Hitler. When asked if that's exactly what he meant to do he said yes. I don't think he was being particularly ambiguous there.

That said, is anyone surprised Hank Williams Junior said something that wasn't PC? Is this really a big shocker? The powers that be should expect this sort of thing when the have a guy like Williams as the frontman for the pre-game nonsense.

Frankly, I think MNF is extremely overproduced and I'd love to see them do away with that dopey intro just because it's annoying. TD_WashingtonRedskins got it right. The old school intros were the best.

If I'm running an entertainment business trying to appeal to the majority of Americans, I wouldn't employ anyone who is on the record as calling the sitting POTUS "the enemy".

That would cut out a lot of Hollywood and Music artists, since they all have that opinion when their party affiliation is not in the White House.

He did, directly, compare Obama to Hitler.
com·pare   [kuhm-pair] Show IPA verb, -pared, -par·ing, noun, verb (used with object)

1.to examine (two or more objects, ideas, people, etc.) in order to note similarities and differences

Now what comparison did he make between Obama and Hitler?.

Williams...Monday compared this summer's so-called golf summit between Obama and House Speaker John Boehner as "one of the biggest political mistakes ever."

As Williams put it on Fox News' Fox & Friends: "It would be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli leader) Benjamin Netanyahu."

A simile is a figure of speech that directly compares two different things, usually by employing the words "like", "as", or "than".

(emphasis mine on both quotes0

Stop_being_obtuse_copy.png?1280693457

???

Are you trying to get me to spam the board? I don't know how I can answer other than to repeat myself.

Again:

he used the name of one of history's most hated men to describe the President.

I'm not sure how much more direct you can get.

This is not a huge point. I'm not sure why you are so staunchly refusing to see this.

How is it any worse for business than......

1. Three time felon and dog killer = poster boy of the NFL?? (etc.)

You are confusing ESPN with the NFL. You also fail to understand that this was an easy business decision for ESPN because Williams does not generate profits...unlike Vick (for example.)

Companies act self righteous to protect their business unless profits are on the line - which is in their best interest tbh.

I'm not sure how much more direct you can get. This is not a huge point. I'm not sure why you are so staunchly refusing to see this.
You want something to be so, but it's not. Sorry.

He did refer to Obama as one of the 3 stooges. And called him the enemy of the US. Which are bad, but that's free speech for you. You seem to be stuck on the Hitler thing, which did not happen. He never called Obama, Hitler, he never compared Obama to Hitler. He did use the name, Hitler, which I have already said was enough for me to give him the boot.

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 06:44 PM ----------

That they are both enemies of the United States
Well counselor, you and I both know that you would have to prove that HWJ considers Hitler an enemy of the US to make that leap.

Archived