Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SlashGear: Verizon 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus LAUNCHES

Sticksboi05

I was at a verizon store yesterday and the manager was trying to convince me to upgrade to the Nexus on the 15th.

My issue is the size of the phone....over 5 inches. Really!?! Can't they make it more compact and sacrifice screen size a bit.

It's not that big in actuality because the physical buttons are removed. It's about the same as the Droid Razr which I used yesterday and it fit perfectly fine in my hand. Worrying over little. It's a fantastic phone.

It's not that big in actuality because the physical buttons are removed. It's about the same as the Droid Razr which I used yesterday and it fit perfectly fine in my hand. Worrying over little. It's a fantastic phone.

I have the Droid X right now and that's about 5 inches. I want to upgrade to something smaller

Switching to Verizon in the next couple of days and still don't know what phone to get. It's a toss up between the Razr and this phone. Take away Ice Cream sandwich from the review as well because both phones are getting it. I'm reading lots of reviews for both phones and the one bad review I'm reading about the Nexus is how it's structure is very very poorly made. Reviewers are stating that it feels like a very cheap piece of plastic and I like to feel like I'm holding quality in my hand.. Help me out guys....sway me one way.

i haven't seen one review say it feels very very poorly made. most people say it doesn't feel plasticy and cheap actually. i've seen one review that said it could have a better build but doesn't feel cheap at all.

you need to go with the nexus, its by far the superior phone. who knows when the razr will actually get ICS anyways.

Switching to Verizon in the next couple of days and still don't know what phone to get. It's a toss up between the Razr and this phone. Take away Ice Cream sandwich from the review as well because both phones are getting it. I'm reading lots of reviews for both phones and the one bad review I'm reading about the Nexus is how it's structure is very very poorly made. Reviewers are stating that it feels like a very cheap piece of plastic and I like to feel like I'm holding quality in my hand.. Help me out guys....sway me one way.

I held the Razr Sunday during the game. It feels sturdy and was fast. Remember, the Razr may be getting Android 4.0 but it's still not pure Android since it'll have Motorola stuff over it. Plus you never know if there will be delays in the Android ICS upgrade. I'd get the Nexus. Gorgeous screen, PURE Android 4.0 and it'll have NFC communications and Google Wallet (if you root it of course).

I held the Razr Sunday during the game. It feels sturdy and was fast. Remember, the Razr may be getting Android 4.0 but it's still not pure Android since it'll have Motorola stuff over it. Plus you never know if there will be delays in the Android ICS upgrade. I'd get the Nexus. Gorgeous screen, PURE Android 4.0 and it'll have NFC communications and Google Wallet (if you root it of course).

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thank you for your input. I guess I'm just looking for someone to sway me away from the RAZR to the Nexus.

One of my facebook friends posted a video of him with the phone b/c he bought it today. Did any of you guys get it yet? He works for Verizon so if it's not officially released yet that explains how he got it early. Ironically, he recorded the video with his iPhone 4S

I'm waiting on iPhone 5. there's no phone comparable to a jailbroken iPhone that iv see yet.

I thought about switching to verizon but I'm glad I didn't.

the 4G LTE isn't bad though

this isn't a bad place for phone reviews

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/

Why are you glad you didn't switch to Verizon, just curious? It's easily the best cellphone network available. Unless of course you like 50+ dropped calls a day, a data network that works 30% of the time, and pretty much no service whenever you exit a major city. And an iPhone is basically a non-customizable device with a very non tech savy user interface. I guess if your into that the iPhone is good.

http://www.androidcentral.com/official-verizon-galaxy-nexus-availability-announcment

GALAXYâ„¢ NEXUSâ„¢ BY SAMSUNG NOW AVAILABLE ON THE VERIZON WIRELESS 4G LTE NETWORK

First Smartphone to Combine Android™ 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and the Power of America’s Fastest, Most Reliable 4G Network

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless, Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) and Google™ announced Galaxy™ Nexus™ is available starting today in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.

Customers can browse the Web, stream music and more at blazing speeds using the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network. Galaxy Nexus customers can enjoy access to the 4G LTE network in 190 markets covering over 200 million people across the United States, and fly through the Web with fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps within the 4G LTE Mobile Broadband coverage area.

Galaxy Nexus runs Androidâ„¢ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, which brings an entirely new look and feel to Android. Galaxy Nexus offers customers a redesigned user experience with improved multi-tasking, notifications, Near Field Communications (NFC) sharing with Android Beamâ„¢ and a full Web-browsing experience. The lock screen, home screen, phone app and everything in between have been rethought and redesigned to make Android simple, beautiful and useful. Galaxy Nexus also features an ultra-thin 9.47mm design with a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLEDâ„¢ Contour Display to watch movies, view pictures and play games that come to life in 720p (1280x720) resolution.

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) features

Redesigned user interface – software navigation buttons, a first for Android smartphones, and a dedicated recent apps button to make multi-tasking easy

Face Unlock – use state-of-the-art facial recognition to unlock Galaxy Nexus

Android Beam™ – quickly share Web pages, apps, contacts and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping two compatible phones together

Redesigned Camera – introduces panorama mode, 1080p video capture, zero-shutter lag for instant photo capturing, and effects such as silly faces and background replacement

People Application – browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and check their latest status updates from Google+ and other social networks

Cloud Services – keep email, contacts, photos, music, browser bookmarks and other data synced to the cloud, available across multiple devices so customers never lose important data

Google Music – upload up to 20,000 songs to the cloud, discover and buy new music from Android Market™, and stream it instantly on Galaxy Nexus and from the Web for free

Google+ – Create a Google+ account right from the phone and check status updates, manage circles, quickly share updates and photos, video chat with up to ten friends with Mobile Hangouts, and chat with groups of friends with Google+ Messenger

Support for Google Mobile™ Services – Gmail™, Google Maps™ with 3D maps and free turn-by-turn navigation, Google Earth™, Movie Studio, YouTube, syncing with Google Calendar™, a redesigned Google+ app and access to more than 300,000 apps, millions of eBooks, thousands of movies to rent, and millions of songs available to download from Android Market

Additional features:

Dual-core 1.2 GHz application processor and HTML5 Web browser – optimized dual-core processing with Android 4.0 combined with lightning fast 4G LTE connectivity for fast downloading of graphics, applications processing and Web browsing

Mobile Hotspot capability – share 4G LTE or 3G connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices

5-megapixel rear-facing camera with zero-shutter lag for instant photo capturing, autofocus and LED flash with full 1080p recording

Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chat

Textured soft-touch back cover – enhances the ergonomic feel and makes the phone slip-resistant

Bluetooth® 3.0 technology – support for headset, hands-free, stereo, phonebook access, human interface device (HID) and object push for vCard and vCalendar

1 GB RAM and 32 GB on-board memory (actual formatted capacity will be less)

Pricing and data packages:

Galaxy Nexus is available now in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.

Customers that purchase a Galaxy Nexus by Samsung will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.

Customers can visit www.verizonwireless.com/galaxynexus for more information on the Galaxy Nexus. For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.

Why are you glad you didn't switch to Verizon, just curious? It's easily the best cellphone network available. Unless of course you like 50+ dropped calls a day, a data network that works 30% of the time, and pretty much no service whenever you exit a major city. And an iPhone is basically a non-customizable device with a very non tech savy user interface. I guess if your into that the iPhone is good.

When they made the announcement Apple to Verizon. I was excited (better reception etc...) However, I think there were too many people on AT&T's network and I think people moving over could help AT&T's network.

Here's some info though

Verizon -You cant talk and use the internet at the same time.

Verizon's iPhone will not work many places overseas. There's no GSM in the Verizon iPhone, so it will be limited internationally.

Even though Verizon gave you the option for a "mobile hotspot" it was only for up to five user's and was probably going to cost. My Jailbroken device I use MyWi, I dont even get charged a fee.

These were some other things At the time of the switch. I have yet to look into the spec's as of late though.

Some of the reviews said the Verizon iphone had slightly better reception, but slower data. Verizon could have better speeds as of now.

-you said-

"And an iPhone is basically a non-customizable device with a very non tech savy user interface."

You need to look into why to Jailbreak your iPhone. You can practically do anything you want that "no other phone" can do.

Jailbroken things you can do.

- iBlacklist, block individuals etc.. (phone, sms etc..) You have lots of options what to do. For instance if someone calls, it can go straight to your voicemail, hangup etc..

"iBlacklist is the best call blocker and sms selector available for the iPhone."

- You can SSH, move files from computer to your phone via WiFi

- You can change icons, everything the way your phone looks (customize) with "winterboard." Im all about customizing. If you "love to customize" there is absolutely nothing better than a Jailbroken Iphone, nuff said. If you want you can make the iphone look like an Android and work like an Android phone. Before there was an Android phone, there was Overboard on iPhone.

I use to use this site for customizing awhile back. I used a theme called Suave.

http://macthemes.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=21

-you can change your font with BytaFont

- download attachments and edit them in your email

- You can use iFile which is a file manager under user root. You can create, delete, copy, cut etc... paste or zip multiple files or directories at once.

Text files and property lists can be editied. Viewers for various file types, movies, images, sound, text, HTML, plists, Microsoft and Apple Types, PDF, Compressed formats etc.. Folders and files bookmarked. Files can be uploaded, downloaded. Download a zip file and open and then edit it, yes

- Terminal, "command line"

- Activator, using gestures to open applications or to do certain things

- All the Apps from iTunes you can download for free

- use Facetime on 3G

-System Info plus (check, ram, hard drive etc... quit processes to free up RAM etc...)

- when you couldnt SMS on the first iPhone you could if you were jailbroken

-when you couldnt add folders, record video etc.. you could if you were jailbroken

- when you couldnt customize a folder you can with "folder enhancer

- when you wanted to add information, like mail, weather etc... on your lockscreen you can with Lock Info

- theres millions of stuff you can do with a Jailbroken iphone

You can do crazy things like call people from a different telephone number disguise your voice, or even do it with email. (I know the old email function is since gone thought)

What do you want to do cause you can do it with a Jailbroken iPhone

---------- Post added December-14th-2011 at 06:57 PM ----------

img0528.png

springw.png

retgvasdddddewr1.png

---------- Post added December-14th-2011 at 06:55 PM ----------

themeone_01.png

IMG_1313.png

iphonewhite.pngthe_teacher_by_newone757-d49z7ks.png

11t4f2w.png

ios5_ss2_by_metal27-d4f8ze0.jpg

When they made the announcement Apple to Verizon. I was excited (better reception etc...) However, I think there were too many people on AT&T's network and I think people moving over could help AT&T's network.

Here's some info though

Verizon -You cant talk and use the internet at the same time.

Verizon's iPhone will not work many places overseas. There's no GSM in the Verizon iPhone, so it will be limited internationally.

Even though Verizon gave you the option for a "mobile hotspot" it was only for up to five user's and was probably going to cost. My Jailbroken device I use MyWi, I dont even get charged a fee.

These were some other things At the time of the switch. I have yet to look into the spec's as of late though.

Some of the reviews said the Verizon iphone had slightly better reception, but slower data. Verizon could have better speeds as of now.

-you said-

"And an iPhone is basically a non-customizable device with a very non tech savy user interface."

You need to look into why to Jailbreak your iPhone. You can practically do anything you want that "no other phone" can do.

Jailbroken things you can do.

- iBlacklist, block individuals etc.. (phone, sms etc..) You have lots of options what to do. For instance if someone calls, it can go straight to your voicemail, hangup etc..

"iBlacklist is the best call blocker and sms selector available for the iPhone."

- You can SSH, move files from computer to your phone via WiFi

- You can change icons, everything the way your phone looks (customize) with "winterboard." Im all about customizing. If you "love to customize" there is absolutely nothing better than a Jailbroken Iphone, nuff said. If you want you can make the iphone look like an Android and work like an Android phone. Before there was an Android phone, there was Overboard on iPhone.

I use to use this site for customizing awhile back. I used a theme called Suave.

http://macthemes.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=21

-you can change your font with BytaFont

- download attachments and edit them in your email

- You can use iFile which is a file manager under user root. You can create, delete, copy, cut etc... paste or zip multiple files or directories at once.

Text files and property lists can be editied. Viewers for various file types, movies, images, sound, text, HTML, plists, Microsoft and Apple Types, PDF, Compressed formats etc.. Folders and files bookmarked. Files can be uploaded, downloaded. Download a zip file and open and then edit it, yes

- Terminal, "command line"

- Activator, using gestures to open applications or to do certain things

- All the Apps from iTunes you can download for free

- use Facetime on 3G

-System Info plus (check, ram, hard drive etc... quit processes to free up RAM etc...)

- when you couldnt SMS on the first iPhone you could if you were jailbroken

-when you couldnt add folders, record video etc.. you could if you were jailbroken

- when you couldnt customize a folder you can with "folder enhancer

- when you wanted to add information, like mail, weather etc... on your lockscreen you can with Lock Info

- theres millions of stuff you can do with a Jailbroken iphone

You can do crazy things like call people from a different telephone number disguise your voice, or even do it with email. (I know the old email function is since gone thought)

What do you want to do cause you can do it with a Jailbroken iPhone

Fair enough....thank you for your input. At least you explained in detail instead of the usual apple fanboy response of "because it's an apple".

Fair enough....thank you for your input. At least you explained in detail instead of the usual apple fanboy response of "because it's an apple".

:laugh: because its an apple. :doh:

There's alot of stuff a regular iPhone cant do just like other phones as well. The app store is limited, just like anything else. "Cydia" is an Awesome place for the user to install software packages (system extensions etc...) that extend the capabilities even more than what Apple wants

Do I like Apple I guess, I had issues with reading and writing. Went to a boarding school up North to a school for dyslexic's. Visual learning helped me with my education. Teaching through projector using a Mac and Hypercard was pretty awesome especially back then. My First computer I had was a Macintosh Portable. The only computers back then with a visual interface was a Mac.

Oops, I'm on Verizon Wireless right now and it's not showing the Nexus. I don't have a smartphone yet, but I might spring for this one. If I can buy it!

Yeah their site isn't showing it yet. Apparently at 1 AM they will. But Verizon and Samsung have both confirmed it. Can't wait. Going to the VZ store tomorrow.

Archived