Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SlashGear: Verizon 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus LAUNCHES

Sticksboi05

Root your phone and use as a hotspot for free

@bdiamond sorry you feel that way. Difference of opinion i guess. Fact is, this is probably the best smartphone on the market right now

I am not very technical with phones: how to I root my phone and does this functionality also come with security for my phone and laptop? If you want, you can PM me. I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full. I don't have a phone yet but thinking it might be a nice present for me. Thanks!

I am not very technical with phones: how to I root my phone and does this functionality also come with security for my phone and laptop? If you want, you can PM me. I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full. I don't have a phone yet but thinking it might be a nice present for me. Thanks!

If you want to learn about rooting, go to the Forums at androidcentral.com. Very helpful people over there with lots of how-to's. This is my first Android phone and I had no idea about rooting but my phone is rooted and running better than ever now. Totally worth it.

If you want to learn about rooting, go to the Forums at androidcentral.com. Very helpful people over there with lots of how-to's. This is my first Android phone and I had no idea about rooting but my phone is rooted and running better than ever now. Totally worth it.

Thanks, Matt! I'll remember this. Have bills to pay first and then next pay will get the phone (in 2 weeks). I'll see plenty of reviews between now and then I'm guessing!

Thanks, Matt! I'll remember this. Have bills to pay first and then next pay will get the phone (in 2 weeks). I'll see plenty of reviews between now and then I'm guessing!

The only thing with rooting is that it voids your warranty, but you can always unroot, which they have directions for as well. I bought my phone in March and rooted in May and I haven't had any problems at all.

New droid person here. For the default browser i see how to bookmark sites. But how do I access them later? Am I just not seeing "favorites" or whatever its called?

There should be a little star next to the entry line. Hit that and it will give you options, or hit the 2 square thing on the bottom right corner.

Hopefully that works for you. Haven't seen the phone yet to be certain but it is probably similar.

I think I'll wait until my next paycheck to get this phone. I'm also going to just go with the Verizon data/mobile package for now. I'll still be saving money but I'm not confident that I can root/unroot etc. (Thanks, Matt, I visited the android site and learned a few things). Also, I have a few favorite apps on my Chocolate Touch like Visual VoiceMail that I like alot and I'd like Skype app ported over because I talk to my granddaughter with Skype on the laptop and would like to do this on the phone. A friend had the app on her Droid phone and it was awesome! Maybe in a couple of weeks there will be some more apps.

As I'm totally new to smartphones, I tend to use my phone as a phone, so probably won't be a heavy app user (for now!). I do like the hotspot feature as I can get rid of one device and line and save some money, always a plus.

Again, does anyone use their phone as a hotspot and what about security on it? That's my biggest concern, that there is security on the device so it's not seen as public network.

I think I'll wait until my next paycheck to get this phone. I'm also going to just go with the Verizon data/mobile package for now. I'll still be saving money but I'm not confident that I can root/unroot etc. (Thanks, Matt, I visited the android site and learned a few things). Also, I have a few favorite apps on my Chocolate Touch like Visual VoiceMail that I like alot and I'd like Skype app ported over because I talk to my granddaughter with Skype on the laptop and would like to do this on the phone. A friend had the app on her Droid phone and it was awesome! Maybe in a couple of weeks there will be some more apps.

As I'm totally new to smartphones, I tend to use my phone as a phone, so probably won't be a heavy app user (for now!). I do like the hotspot feature as I can get rid of one device and line and save some money, always a plus.

Again, does anyone use their phone as a hotspot and what about security on it? That's my biggest concern, that there is security on the device so it's not seen as public network.

Instead of Verizon's Visual Voicemail, I use Google Voice, which is free. Not familiar with VVM, but Google Voice works pretty well for me.

There are a ton of apps for Andorid, if you can think of something, there's probably an app for that. You can check them out here: https://market.android.com/

I've only used the hotspot feature once on my phone and there is a password associated with it so you don't have to worry about people just connecting to it.

There should be a little star next to the entry line. Hit that and it will give you options, or hit the 2 square thing on the bottom right corner.

Hopefully that works for you. Haven't seen the phone yet to be certain but it is probably similar.

If I hit the tabs button, I can do it there. So, I don't know if that's different or what.

Slowly figuring out this phone. Its rad, that's for sure.

Thank you again, Matt! You are very helpful. With Google Voice, does it show who left a voicemail and can you delete without listening? That's the VVM feature that I like best.

I don't have the Galaxy Nexus but it should have a built in VVM on the phone. I have an HTC EVO and it does. I believe all phones have this now. There is also an app you can download called YouMail which is a VVM but also sends you an email when someone leaves you a message so you can listen to your messages from your computer. Its a sweet app.

Like I said though, I believe you'll have VVM built into the OS of the phone

What are some of the coolest apps to download right now?

Some of the ones I have:

ESPN ScoreCenter

Facebook

Twitter

Hanging with Friends

Words with Friends

Fruit Ninja

Plants vs Zombies

Angry Birds

Papertoss

SiriusXM

Google Music

Google Reader

Beautiful Widgets

ADW Launcher

Netflix

PNC Virtual Wallet

Some of the ones I have:

ESPN ScoreCenter

Facebook

Twitter

Hanging with Friends

Words with Friends

Fruit Ninja

Plants vs Zombies

Angry Birds

Papertoss

SiriusXM

Google Music

Google Reader

Beautiful Widgets

ADW Launcher

Netflix

PNC Virtual Wallet

For scored and stats, I find yahoo scoretacular a better app than ESPNs.

gives you super user (admin) access to the phone. for example, once rooted you can run tether apps for free without paying for a mobile hotspot plan

Think of it as your work computer.

In order to install and change most things on your computer, you need admin access, which only IT has. Rooting gives you the admin access to make any changes to your phone that you want. Currently, Verizon doesn't give you the ability to uninstall certain apps, but if you're rooted, you can delete those and free up memory on your phone.

Think of it as your work computer.

In order to install and change most things on your computer, you need admin access, which only IT has. Rooting gives you the admin access to make any changes to your phone that you want. Currently, Verizon doesn't give you the ability to uninstall certain apps, but if you're rooted, you can delete those and free up memory on your phone.

exactly. luckily the nexus comes with minimal verizon apps pre-installed on it for those who don't want to root to remove them

Archived