Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SlashGear: Verizon 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus LAUNCHES

Sticksboi05

Think of it as your work computer.

In order to install and change most things on your computer, you need admin access, which only IT has. Rooting gives you the admin access to make any changes to your phone that you want. Currently, Verizon doesn't give you the ability to uninstall certain apps, but if you're rooted, you can delete those and free up memory on your phone.

You can remove any apps with ICS.

Okay, since you all have had the phone for a while, how do you like it?!

Also, the phone is 4G LTE and works as a hotspot. If one is out of a 4G area, does it default back to 3G? Reason is that I go places where 4G is not available but I can get access to 3G for my now separate phone and MiFi hotspot.

Thanks for any input. Verizon Wireless site now has a boatload of reviews and people seem to like it pretty well.

Okay, read some reviews about the RAZR and Galaxy Nexus in PC Mag. Here are some quotes about call/signal reception, which is more important to me than surfing the web with my phone (I just don't do that) or watching movies (I don't do that either)

"The Galaxy Nexus isn't a great voice phone, and our unit had some bizarre problems reporting reception. Using the dBm signal strength numbers in the Android settings panel, the Nexus would generally show weaker reception than a Droid RAZR sitting right next to it. The phone also had serious trouble recovering from a dropped 4G signal; after falling to 3G, sometimes it would need a reboot to find 4G again. But in any condition with a decent 4G signal, I got faster speeds on Speedtest.net on the Nexus than on the RAZR. Clearly, there are some firmware issues to be worked out here."

and

"It pains me to do this, but I'm not giving the Samsung Galaxy Nexus an Editor's Choice—even though I think Android phone buyers should seek out the Ice Cream Sandwich OS. The problem is that the Droid RAZR is just a better phone. Even though it has a lower screen resolution, it's better built, with better signal reception and voice quality; most other hardware features are a wash between the two phones. Motorola claims an ICS update for the RAZR is coming in the first half of 2012, and we're sure to see many more ICS phones in the next couple of months."

and a friend told me that her friends don't like the RAZR because they are flimsy and break easily. She is very hard on her stuff and maybe her friends are too? Anyway, I now have a dilemma. Both phones are the same price, the RAZR has apps that I know and like already available, I like the Smart Agent feature. Or the Galaxy Nexus and does anyone have any comments about signal reception etc. I'm not a super user, I just want a phone with hotspot capability, great signal reception and voice quality and all the other stuff is nice to have.

I need some advice!!

Read the updated Nexus review in The Verve:

"Some reviewers (particularly Sascha Segan at PC Mag) apparently had issues with connectivity and sound quality, but multiple people in The Verge New York office have the LTE device, and no one has experienced the same problems."

So the Nexus may still be the way to go, and with an extended battery, this might be the phone.

Oh, how I'll agonize until next week!

I'm confused.

Why would you pay for a $300 phone and the extra $30/month for a data plan if you don't even surf the web on your phone?

EDIT: Nvm, I assume the answers were at the bottom of your post.

Yep to your edit. I currently have a Chocolate Touch for phone and a MiFi hotspot, so I'm paying for 2 phone numbers with 2 data packages. I'm trying to get both functionalities in 1 phone with 1 data plan (4 gb data/mobile broadband combo). I use the MiFi with my laptop. I'm guessing that I can use the hotspot feature and make phone calls at the same time. There's got to be a better way!! And cheaper too.

Personally I have not had any problems with reception or call quality on my GN; I actually find the call quality very good. I haven't had a chance to test out its hotspot capability yet. Overall I love ICS and the phone. As far as the RAZR, I think it is a nice phone but one of my issues with it was that it really didn't feel good to hold when I have messed with them at the VZ store. It was just uncomfortable to hang on to for long, whereas I find the GN much more ergonomic and natural feeling in my hand. If you use a bluetooth earpiece most of the time it might not be that big of a deal, but to me it kinda turned me off to it. Another thing about the RAZR is the bloatware, but if it has stuff on it that you like and are used to then you should factor that in.

But if you're going to be holding it a lot to use for calls, etc I would highly recommend (if you haven't already) going to a store and spending some time holding both of them and messing with them for a while as well.

mistertim, you give good advice. I haven't been to the store yet, was working a proposal and my role wrapped up today so have been working every day including weekends. Thank goodness I have some time to get things off in the mail tomorrow.

Will check out phones next week, give the touch and feel test. The Verve review person said he really liked the GN and was switching to it, so that says a lot. Most of these hotspot enabled phones are larger than my Touch anyway, so it's a moot point. Travel around with 1 device or 2.

So far so good. Screen is ridiculous. Ridiculous. The battery life is the only issue but once I root it, I'll do what I can and may get an extended battery. Make sure to turn the screen off when you aren't using it. It uses most of the battery. The processor is nice and zippy.

So far so good. Screen is ridiculous. Ridiculous. The battery life is the only issue but once I root it, I'll do what I can and may get an extended battery. Make sure to turn the screen off when you aren't using it. It uses most of the battery. The processor is nice and zippy.

Just out of curiosity, since ICS is pretty much wide open anyway, why would you need to root it?

Just got it. Can't wait to mess around with it and eventually root it. Definitely does not feel too cheap.

if you need a quick and easy unlock and root method let me know. i can't point you to a great way to have it unlocked and rooted in 10 minutes

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 01:01 PM ----------

i've had the phone a little over a week now and it really is amazing. coming from the incredible, i didn't think it would be a big change and i didn't think i would like the phone as much as i do.

the screen is ridiculous and web browsing is nearly perfect on the phone. also, i've had no issues with call quality or reception

Okay, read some reviews about the RAZR and Galaxy Nexus in PC Mag. Here are some quotes about call/signal reception, which is more important to me than surfing the web with my phone (I just don't do that) or watching movies (I don't do that either)

"The Galaxy Nexus isn't a great voice phone, and our unit had some bizarre problems reporting reception. Using the dBm signal strength numbers in the Android settings panel, the Nexus would generally show weaker reception than a Droid RAZR sitting right next to it. The phone also had serious trouble recovering from a dropped 4G signal; after falling to 3G, sometimes it would need a reboot to find 4G again. But in any condition with a decent 4G signal, I got faster speeds on Speedtest.net on the Nexus than on the RAZR. Clearly, there are some firmware issues to be worked out here."

and

"It pains me to do this, but I'm not giving the Samsung Galaxy Nexus an Editor's Choice—even though I think Android phone buyers should seek out the Ice Cream Sandwich OS. The problem is that the Droid RAZR is just a better phone. Even though it has a lower screen resolution, it's better built, with better signal reception and voice quality; most other hardware features are a wash between the two phones. Motorola claims an ICS update for the RAZR is coming in the first half of 2012, and we're sure to see many more ICS phones in the next couple of months."

and a friend told me that her friends don't like the RAZR because they are flimsy and break easily. She is very hard on her stuff and maybe her friends are too? Anyway, I now have a dilemma. Both phones are the same price, the RAZR has apps that I know and like already available, I like the Smart Agent feature. Or the Galaxy Nexus and does anyone have any comments about signal reception etc. I'm not a super user, I just want a phone with hotspot capability, great signal reception and voice quality and all the other stuff is nice to have.

I need some advice!!

Read the updated Nexus review in The Verve:

"Some reviewers (particularly Sascha Segan at PC Mag) apparently had issues with connectivity and sound quality, but multiple people in The Verge New York office have the LTE device, and no one has experienced the same problems."

So the Nexus may still be the way to go, and with an extended battery, this might be the phone.

Oh, how I'll agonize until next week!

Well, I have the RAZR and love it. I have no issues with using for long periods, and the fact it is so light rocks. I also got the vehicle dash mount, and my phone basically turns into a GPS that can make and receive calls. Mini-USB allows me to stream movies in 1080i to my TV with a free trial run of Blockbuster.

The RAZR did feel a lot cheaper to me but damn it's a nice looking phone. Both are great looking. I just think if you can get pure Android go for it. Plus, the Nexus will be the first to get any updates. Even if the RAZR gets ICS soon it will still not be pure Android. But honestly both are great phones.

Okay, on the way home from my brother's house for Christmas celebration, I visited the Verizon store. Looked and handled both the RAZR and the Galaxy Nexus. I actually like the RAZR better, it has the apps I'm used to, it's light and they had both black and white on display. I got the white and they have to send it to me as they didn't have one in the store. Also, I will have my MIFI phone number disconnected once I receive and activate the RAZR. I downgraded my phone package and got the data/mobile broadband package and ended up saving about $50 per month. I also got $30 off the phone price. So I can't wait to get the phone and figure it out. I think I'll like the Smart Agent feature. I'll turn off most of the apps until I decide to use them.

Glad I saw both phones and picked the one that will work best for me. I'm getting a blue gel case, so my phone will look blue, if I decide to use it. I really like the white phone.

Thanks to all who answered my questions, your input helped me decide. You all are a great bunch!! :)

So far so good from my galaxy nexus. ICS seems very intuitive, almost at an iOS level. I've been amazed at how quickly I've been able to pick it up. Love the camera. Battery isnt as bad as I feared, and lasts me the entire day on my typical usage. Cant wait to try the 4g one I'm back in nova.

Update on how I like my RAZR: I like it pretty much, still not using it to its capacity and I got the Hotspot turned on and it works like a champ with my laptop. I'm using it like I did my other phone, still trying to manage battery life and have set a couple of smart actions to work overnight. I manually turn on Bluetooth when I'm in my car, maybe I'll do a smart action on that function. I have a couple of apps, a new one from Pilot/Flying J gas stations for when I travel that could be useful; also free Skype to talk to granddaughter visually without using MY computer and that's an awesome app. I ordered some additional power cords so I can make sure the battery can be recharged easily. One for car, one for briefcase, another wall charger with a longer cord to start. I also ordered a case but so far I've been careful with it and I'm not hard on my electronics anyway.

Archived