Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SlashGear: Verizon 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus LAUNCHES

Sticksboi05

I hardly use either. The camera isn't a selling point for me since I rarely use it. Sure a nice camera can come in handy, but I don't buy a cell phone for the camera.

I actually take a lot of pictures and a good amount of video with my phone (Droid X). I am with the people that say that its a phone first and foremost, but I am out and about quite a bit at sporting events and concerts and things like that, and while I bring my camera to some places, it is convenient to not have to bring it around everywhere.

So while it is not a major selling point to me, it is a consideration. I know that image quality of a picture coming from a phone is not going to match that of a standalone camera, but it would be nice if it is at least close.

I agree that you're going to want/expect at least decent quality from pictures on a good phone and IMO most of the higher end phones nowadays deliver quality that is fine for the sort of stuff I would be using a camera phone for. Not a selling point for me, but yeah you still want it to give you something decent.

Are you talking about the OS (Ice Cream Sandwich)? Not sure but most likely nothing official from HTC for the Evo 4g. I'm sure the developers at xda or Cyanogenmod will port it once they have the code for ICS

I was talking about the OS, yea. I have no idea what xda or cyanogenmod are though. :(

HTC said they were reviewing ICS to see how to make it work on their phones. Since ICS is so plain, it'll be interesting to see how HTC can get Sense to work with it. I could take or leave Sense.

Do I have sense? I have the currently updated OS on my evo. 2.3.something, right?

I was talking about the OS, yea. I have no idea what xda or cyanogenmod are though. :(

Cyanogenmod is a group that create customized firmware or ROM's for the Android OS. For instance, I have the Evo 4g like you which came with Froyo (v2.2). The folks at Cyanogenmod had Gingerbread (v2.3) way before HTC released Gingerbread to the Evo so I was able to run Gingerbread on my Evo months before HTC even had the update available for the Evo. So once Cyanogenmod gets ICS, they should be able to port it and you should be able to install the new ROM on your Evo 4g. Of course this requires your phone to be rooted

Cyanogenmod is a group that create customized firmware or ROM's for the Android OS. For instance, I have the Evo 4g like you which came with Froyo (v2.2). The folks at Cyanogenmod had Gingerbread (v2.3) way before HTC released Gingerbread to the Evo so I was able to run Gingerbread on my Evo months before HTC even had the update available for the Evo. So once Cyanogenmod gets ICS, they should be able to port it and you should be able to install the new ROM on your Evo 4g. Of course this requires your phone to be rooted

I have heard of this "rooting" thing but i don't know how to do it and don't want to ruin my phone.

I have heard of this "rooting" thing but i don't know how to do it and don't want to ruin my phone.

Its really easy to root and pretty hard to brick your phone these days. There are different ways to root the device but I've always used the ones that are automated where you just click start and it does it all for you. Once you root than you can change your ROM which isn't very difficult either. Just follow instructions on an android forum and you'll have a different ROM loaded in minutes.

Its really easy to root and pretty hard to brick your phone these days. There are different ways to root the device but I've always used the ones that are automated where you just click start and it does it all for you. Once you root than you can change your ROM which isn't very difficult either. Just follow instructions on an android forum and you'll have a different ROM loaded in minutes.

Rooting my phone was the best thing I could've done. The battery life is better, my phone seems faster, and like I Bleed said, I had Gingerbread way before it was official for the Thunderbolt.

How do you know what OS to use then? Where do you download them from?

How do you know what OS to use then? Where do you download them from?

I typically do all my reading and findings on xda developers forum. You would just go to the sub forum for your phone and there will be threads in their for ICS. Cyanogenmod is very popular and you'll see links to their releases for ICS when it becomes available. This would be for ICS ROM

I used Unrevoked3 to root my phone. They have their own webpage with a tool you download. You connect your phone to your computer and basically click start on the tool and it roots the phone in minutes. This has to be done first before updating the ROM.

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 04:12 PM ----------

www.androidcentral.com

Click on the forums and find your phone. Everyone on there is very helpful and will walk you through the process.

This is a good forum too. TSF..XDA forum does Android, Windows, and other OS phones.

Google’s Android chief, And Rubin, revealed that Pittsburgh Pattern Recognition (PittPatt), a company Google had acquired this July, is behind the facial recognition unlock feature found on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The feature enables users to unlock their phone by capturing their face on the homescreen. “The software was so fast that we had to slow it down as people would wonder whether there is any security involved,” Rubin revealed

http://www.bgr.in/2011/10/19/andy-rubin-on-android-ics-face-recognition-unlock-tablets-and-music-store/

Just saw this. Facial recognition unlock screen? Ok that's pretty ****ing cool.

when is this baby coming out? i'm either getting the Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S or Droid Razr (Probably not the Razr even though i like how thin it is, kevlar backing, and gorilla glass)

Out of those, I think I'd go RAZR. Its supposed to be getting ICS too so that will be nice.

Archived