Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better not sleep on the Rams

NoCalMike

The way things are going for the Rams, if they lose again by such a big margin I could see them firing Spags. For once I'd love to be the team that gets another coach fired instead of being the team that the new coach has his first game against(which always results in that team winning).

But still the Rams give us a ton of trouble, and we don't have the level of talent the Eagles, Giants, and Ravens have to win in a blowout.

I can't see the skins losing to the Rams. I think that you guys win big.

I can't see the skins losing to the Rams. I think that you guys win big.

Anything is possible. The Rams have had our number the last couple of years, for whatever reason. Even when we beat them in 09 it was like a 9-7 score IIRC.

If we play our best football we should win without too many issues, but that always seems to be the issue for us. We can't take advantage of opportunities presented to us.

Mike Shanahan will have the team prepared for St. Louis Sunday if they can limit their penalties and excute we'll be fine.

Im not implying that this will be a walk in the park for the burgundy and gold but I am expecting them to play inspired football,possibly a little hostile.

Here's to a good game and no injuries.

• 11 months later...

The Rams nearly pulled an upset yesterday. They have a solid set of of DBs and studs for MLB and DE. In addition, they have former Baylor RB Terrance Ganoway and former Redskin Rocky McIntosh. Knowledge of any kind is huge.

That team is young, hungry, and dangerous. Fisher and GM Les Sneed are building a solid foundation up there.

This is a team that's well coached, and has a defense that could give our offense fits next week.

I'm confident, however, that our defense should keep Bradford under pressure and force him into mistakes. Their offensive line is easily among the worst in the NFL.

I'm wearing my Orakpo jersey and finally finding a sport bar to go to.

I expect a dozen sacks and 40% of Bradford's passes to be defended against, 25% at the line.

But yeah, we CANNOT take this lightly. We *should* dominate them, but we have a history of turning "shoulds" into "didn'ts." We do have RGIII now, so that's a difference, but yeah, no sleeping, gameplan hard, and go out there trying to put up another 40 burger.

It's definitely a possible trap game. That said, we've got much better edge rushers than the Lions. And the Rams have huge OT issues. Saffold is hurt and might miss the game. And their stud center might miss it as well.

Their starting LT is out. He suffered a scary neck injury yesterday.

I'm not going to be fooled by this anymore. Next week is going to be tougher, if only for the fact that the Rams have a better idea of what to gameplan for. They also have a better defense. I think the Saints pretty much abandoned the run when they struggled early, and thus became easier to defend. They're offense is pedestrian, but you can't sleep on Bradford/Jackson. Hopefully we can get after him like we did Brees. I think we'll win, but I don't think it'll be a cake walk. A cake walk wouldn't hurt though. :ols:

I would like to know how come we have to play at their home everytime we play them.:mad:

There is a formula in the rotation of the schedule (4th NFCE @ 4th NFCW in 2012), but next year it could be 4th NFCW @ 4th NFCE. I don't know how they rotate those. I know we play the NFC North next year and are at Green Bay, at Minnesota and get Chicago and Detroit at home. We play the 6 against the NFC East as usual. We also get the AFC West, IIRC. We have the AFC North this year, had the AFC East last year and the NFC South the year before. We will play at Denver and at Kansas City and will get Oakland and San Diego at home.

As Admiral Ackbar says: "It's a TRAP!!!"

A Skins team that may be buying into all the national hype following their week 1 victory over the favored Saints, and a Rams team that feels they should have beat a favored Lions team. Plus, we usually have a tough time against them.

I think we'll win, but it's going to be tough, maybe 17-13.

we must stop Steven Jackson. If we do that, we have a really good chance.

If we stop Steven Jackson the Rams are doomed. Offensively Bradford is playing behind a very bad OL and isnt Drew Brees. I look at what we did to Brees and his very good OL and feel really bad for Bradford. He had a decent chance of not finishing the game. Our front 7 is very good, and his receivers are bad. They wanna talk about receivers that dont scare anyone? We're deep as well and I dont know if the have one starter that would make out team. Defensively I expect them to be a tougher task that NO was. I dont see us putting up 40 points or even 28 on them. But I think if we can do more than 10 points, we have a decent shot of winning. Because I dont seem them scoreing much. I like Jackson as a RB, he's a big, tough fast back, but I see him as the only guy we have to worry about and we're pretty stout against the run. NO has a excellent stable of backs and they had 34 yards as a unit. And that was with having to worry about some QB named Brees. This could get ugly.

It seems like Jackson's been around forever. I started wondering how many career carries he has (easy to find) and how does it compare to other active RB's (not so easy). Check it:

Rank	Player (age)	         Att
1	Steven Jackson (29)	2,159
2	Willis McGahee (30)	1,806
3	Frank Gore (28)	        1,669
4	Cedric Benson (29)	1,538
5	Maurice Jones-Drew (26)	1,503
6	Michael Turner (29)	1,428
7	Adrian Peterson (26)	1,423
8	Chris Johnson (26)	1,198
9	Ronnie Brown (30)	1,175
10	Marshawn Lynch (25)	1,158
11	Brandon Jacobs (29)	1,078
12	Matt Forte (26)	        1,030
13	DeAngelo Williams (28)	1,002
14	Ray Rice (24)	        969
15	Fred Jackson (30)	823
16	Rashard Mendenhall (24)	813
17	Reggie Bush (26)	754
18	Michael Vick (31)	736
19	Jonathan Stewart (24)	725
20	Ahmad Bradshaw (25)	717
21	Arian Foster (25)	685
22	LeSean McCoy (23)	655
23	Michael Bush (27)	644
24	Kevin Smith (25)	574
25	Shonn Greene (26)	573
26	Darren McFadden (24)	568
27	Chris Wells (23)	544
28	BenJarvus Green-Ellis (26)	528
29	Pierre Thomas (27)	525
30	Peyton Hillis (25)	519
31	Jamaal Charles (25)	515
32	Mewelde Moore (29)	494
33	Knowshon Moreno (24)	471

350 more carries than the next highest guy. Well past the 2k mark. Plus he's 29. Look what happened to LT around that age:

The only good article I've ever seen on Bleacher Report

Tomlinson, at age 27, rushed for 1,815 yards on 348 carries; that's an astounding rate of 5.2 yards per carry. He scored a massive 28 rushing touchdowns, setting an all-time record. Incredibly, he added 508 receiving yards on 56 pass receptions and another three scores.

The next season, after Tomlinson turned 28, he still led the NFL in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, but by far smaller margins. He rushed for 1,474 yards on 315 carries (a still-impressive 4.7 yards per carry) and 15 touchdowns. Nothing wrong with any of that, but he averaged half a yard less with every single carry and scored just over half as many touchdowns as the year before.

The season after Tomlinson turned 29, he rushed for 1,110 yards on 292 carries. That's only 3.8 yards per carry. He averaged nearly a full yard less on each carry than the year before, and 1.4 yards less than two years before. In two seasons, Tomlinson's performance level went from "maybe the best ever" to "probably the best in the NFL right now," to "pretty solid."

Jackson's stat line from last week:

21 carries, 53 yards, 2.5 average, 9 yard longest rush, 0 TD's.

His stats for last season:

260 carries, 1145 yards, 76.3 yards per game, 4.4 average, 5 TD's.

Detroit was 23rd against the run last year, giving up 128.1 per game with a 5.0 per rush average, so it isn't like they were a top run D unit. Maybe they got better over the offseason, but the more likely explanation is that he's breaking down. He may still be capable of a big game, but he is much less of a threat than he once was.

Our D had a 4.3 yard per rush average, and gave up 117.8 per game, which puts us at 18th against the rush, which is also not elite. But if this turns out to be a tough game, I doubt it will be because of Jackson.

Archived