Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSNWashington.com: Trent Williams says he was 'pretty good' last week

flexxskins

Thursday, September 15, 2011, 5:19 p.m.

By Ryan O’Halloran

Redskins Insider

CSNwashington.com

http://www.csnwashington.com/09/15/11/Trent-Williams-says-he-was-pretty-good-l/landing.html?blockID=564027&feedID=6458

The vocal defense of Redskins left tackle Trent Williams’ performance last week against the Giants continued Thursday courtesy of … Trent Williams.

Williams was beaten for two sacks and was part of an offensive line that had a tough time opening running lanes for Tim Hightower (2.9-yard average).

“Week 1 went well for me,” Williams said. “After watching the film and reviewing everything, it was pretty good.”

Coach Mike Shanahan said Williams has made “tremendous strides” from last year to this point and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan agreed.

“I thought Trent took a step forward from last year,” Kyle said. “I thought he was more consistent. I thought he played hard. He had a couple bad plays in the second half, which obviously show up on TV, but overall, he did a better job. … It was a step in the right direction.”

Jason Pierre-Paul got both of his sacks against Williams.

“He was a pretty good player,” Williams said. “He didn’t wow me if that’s what you’re asking. He was a great player. He came in and did his job.”

Williams pinned the first sack (second-and-eight from the Giants’ 27) on losing his footing, and his left foot did slip on the turf.

click the link above for the rest of the article

I hope his expectations of himself rise. We need more than "pretty good" to compete week in and week out. I like Trent and think he has lots of potential, but I am beginning to wonder how hard of a worker he is....

On his scale: A game where his name is not called and he allows no sacks would be "****ing EPIC" I'd like to see one of those games this week.

When a player's below par, as Trent has been through pre-season to his overall game last Sunday, how hard is it for the coaches and player himself to just hold their hands up, admit it, and move on?

It's insulting to our intelligence when their trying to paint a completely different picture to the one we see with our very own eyes.

Hail.

He needs to eventually be the leader of the Oline. When he does, us as fans will notice it, and let him know. Other than that, he doesn't need to tell us what we saw on the field as we can make that judgement for ourselves. But in all honesty, he didn't play extremely horrible but I was hoping to see more of an improvment in comparison to how fast other teams develop so called "elite" players.

Correct me if I am wrong, please, but wasn't the pre-draft knock on Trent related to his work ethic & inability to reach his potential as a result? Kind of seems like the kind of guy that might struggle after a long lock-out. Needs more structure & coaching to develop...?

Correct me if I am wrong, please, but wasn't the pre-draft knock on Trent related to his work ethic & inability to reach his potential as a result? Kind of seems like the kind of guy that might struggle after a long lock-out. Needs more structure & coaching to develop...?

His work ethic was questioned, I think he needs foot in ass to get back into the right frame of mind and keep Rexy from getting killed

Everyone in Ashburn is minimizing how bad he looked, so maybe I'm just not looking at the right things. Or maybe it's just an effort to keep his confidence high.

I get that. And if I were a player, I'd be willing to give everything I had for a coach that would defend me to the hilt in public and have my back at all times. (Whilst doubtless tearing strips of me in private.).

I'd just have more respect for all concerned at times if they'd just have a little more honesty to what's plain for everyone to see.

Hail.

I think he'll be fine. This was only his 17th NFL game. He's progressing, and I'd bet by year 3 he's gonna be a beast. He's getting there, but still has a ways to go, I'm not that worried about it. Now if he's the same by say week 7 and we're not seeing, or hearing about his improvement, then I'll start worrying.

It's amazing to me, that after all the years of woe we've experienced on the offensive line as Redskins fans, that people are so quick to jump on Trent and label him a bust after one game into his second year. The dude is solid, and he's only going to get better. He's facing the most premiere pass rushers in the league, so some growing pains are to be expected.

If the dude is having the same problems at this time next year, THEN perhaps, the bust question becomes relevant. But for now he's solid, and is like to improve steadily this year.

The truth is nobody on this board or in the media can put a true grade on Trents game without knowing his assignment on each play. Yes he gave up two sacks to a great player but that could have been his only two mistakes or two out of maybe 4-5 bad plays. So unless you guys have some sort of inside access to his assignments and have broke down the entire game, each play, you really don't know, you think you know, but you don't, and you never will.

So if Mike and Kyle Shanahan are saying Trent has made strides in his second year, I have no reason not to believe them. They know more about the quality of his play than me, the media, and anyone else who watched the game one time on tv.

When a player's below par, as Trent has been through pre-season to his overall game last Sunday, how hard is it for the coaches and player himself to just hold their hands up, admit it, and move on?

It's insulting to our intelligence when their trying to paint a completely different picture to the one we see with our very own eyes.

Hail.

I think it's arrogant to assume there's no possible way the coaches could see something that fans do not lol...

Trent got beat like a drum twice on Sunday. JUST LIKE EVERY LT IN FOOTBALL. You read that right. Every LT in football gets beat twice in a game. Most QBs have the ability to avoid the pressure and unload the ball. Rex is a statue. This board is funny. Trent didn't say he was awesome, or great, or even really good. He said he was "pretty good".

Question: How did the Redskins do last Sunday? Pretty good. Obviously, we won. Clearly, we have room for improvement. But we freakin beat the Giants! Our QB threw for 305 yds, so our oline had a "pretty good" game in pass pro.

Archived