Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSNWashington.com: Trent Williams says he was 'pretty good' last week

flexxskins

I think it's arrogant to assume there's no possible way the coaches could see something that fans do not lol...

As do I. Whoever is suggesting that is real naive ..... like those picking up on wholly the wrong thing maybe. ;).

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 03:46 PM ----------

Our QB threw for 305 yds, so our oline had a "pretty good" game in pass pro.

I was liking the ra-ra post up until that last line.

I'd say Grossman did pretty darn fantastic to put up the numbers he did and move the O as well as he did IN SPITE of, instead of despite, good line play. Well into the second half, until the Giants all but gave up as the 4th rolled around, he was still facing some severe pressure when he dropped back to pass. The pass pro. right across the line was pretty darn woeful Sunday; and given Rex's propensity to go from real good to real bad in the face of pressure, it's something that needs fixing QUICK if this thing is to have a chance of rolling.

Hail.

Expectations are high after Trent's rookie season. I'm thinking he got ****y and didn't work out like he should have, to play at the level he's capable of playing.

For me, it's not like he's a bad tackle, it's that Trent Williams could be as good as Chris Samuels at pass pro. And an even better run blocker in the open.

When a player's below par, as Trent has been through pre-season to his overall game last Sunday, how hard is it for the coaches and player himself to just hold their hands up, admit it, and move on?

It's insulting to our intelligence when their trying to paint a completely different picture to the one we see with our very own eyes.

Hail.

Because what we see with our own eyes very often isn't the entire story.

That's the thing; Trent explained very clearly and very precisely what was supposed to happen on at least one of those plays. Why would Trent lie about it? Better yet, why would Kyle and Mike lie about it? When has Mike ever said that Trent played well when he actually played like garbage? Never, right?

That's the thing with football; we don't know the play calls. We don't know what the protection scheme is and who was supposed to help who and what was supposed to happen on any given play. The fact is, pretty much no one is going to think about the plays where Trent actually played well, and going back and looking at him in pass protection, I think he played well most of the game. He got beat. Everyone gets beat. But I sincerely doubt everyone was sitting around, watching Trent on every snap, marking down whether or not he got pushed back.

Thing is, the bad plays are always more magnified than the good. I'm not saying Trent didn't get beat. I'm not saying he didn't get pushed around sometimes. I'm saying Sunday, he did a lot more good than bad, as bad as the two sacks were.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to 1.) believe the coaches are lying us to protect Trent, when nearly everything else they've done suggests that if you're not holding your weight, you'll get no sympathy from the coaching staff, and 2.) going to convince myself that I know more about the game and what was supposed to happen than the coaches do.

He needs to up his expectations. By year 2 Chris Samuels was a Pro Bowler and anchor of our OL. Silverback needs to step up.

Not every tackle is Chris Samuels. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was pretty bad in his 1st and 2nd year. It's only week 1 but no doubt he needs to step up.

hmmm ok ill take the other side here as i feel the need to dispell the notion that Trent Williams had a bad game. He didnt. As a matter of fact he had a pretty good game. After seeing a majority of ES users critique his performence i rewatched the game last night, and focused my attention on Trent Williams on every offensive snap. And my first reaction was wow, this kid is good. there was a play where JPP had an entire step on him off the snap, and Trent sidestepped so quickly that he recovered and easily pushed JPP out of the play. I mean unbelievable athleticism. play after play after play. The game is well into the third quarter before Trent actually gives up a sack, and on the play Trent clearly injures his leg- and thats the only reason JPP gets the sack, cause Trent once again had great position. And then of the course the Rex grosssman sack fumble play that has been well documented. Thats it, two plays... and one of them was an unlikely misfooting.

Yes i understand the sack fumble play can be disasterous and have catostrophic results, but it happens. good defensive ends will beat the tackle occasionally. Trent literally dominated JPP 99 percent of the game. So Trent will be ok, and perhaps we should really be focusing our attention on the other Tackle... Brown didnt look too good.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 06:30 PM ----------

and judging by the coaches remarks, shanahan seems to agree with me. Trent had a pretty good game

But I'll be damned if I'm going to 1.) believe the coaches are lying us to protect Trent, when nearly everything else they've done suggests that if you're not holding your weight, you'll get no sympathy from the coaching staff, and 2.) going to convince myself that I know more about the game and what was supposed to happen than the coaches do.

You jump on the "Why would the coaches lie" bandwagon quite often.. How'd you feel last year when they told us McNabb didnt have the cardio to run the 2 minute drill? Or any number of things they claimed reguarding McNabb.. Hell, Shanny even said Haynesworth was "doing great" a time or two, until the bottom fell out!! The coaches arent exactly the most truthful of individuals when it comes to describing their teams situation.. Do they always lie? No, but do they occasionaly?? Hell yes..

It's amazing to me, that after all the years of woe we've experienced on the offensive line as Redskins fans, that people are so quick to jump on Trent and label him a bust after one game into his second year. The dude is solid, and he's only going to get better. He's facing the most premiere pass rushers in the league, so some growing pains are to be expected.

If the dude is having the same problems at this time next year, THEN perhaps, the bust question becomes relevant. But for now he's solid, and is like to improve steadily this year.

I haven't read every quote here on ES since TW got here, but I've never seen his name and the word "bust" in the same sentence.
hmmm ok ill take the other side here as i feel the need to dispell the notion that Trent Williams had a bad game. He didnt. As a matter of fact he had a pretty good game. After seeing a majority of ES users critique his performence i rewatched the game last night, and focused my attention on Trent Williams on every offensive snap. And my first reaction was wow, this kid is good. there was a play where JPP had an entire step on him off the snap, and Trent sidestepped so quickly that he recovered and easily pushed JPP out of the play. I mean unbelievable athleticism. play after play after play. The game is well into the third quarter before Trent actually gives up a sack, and on the play Trent clearly injures his leg- and thats the only reason JPP gets the sack, cause Trent once again had great position. And then of the course the Rex grosssman sack fumble play that has been well documented. Thats it, two plays... and one of them was an unlikely misfooting.

Yes i understand the sack fumble play can be disasterous and have catostrophic results, but it happens. good defensive ends will beat the tackle occasionally. Trent literally dominated JPP 99 percent of the game. So Trent will be ok, and perhaps we should really be focusing our attention on the other Tackle... Brown didnt look too good.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 06:30 PM ----------

and judging by the coaches remarks, shanahan seems to agree with me. Trent had a pretty good game

I'm really glad that I saw this quote. I have literally watched the game 3 times (via "Short cuts") and each time I came away thinking that Williams had a pretty decent game.

I saw Brian Mitchell speaking with Kelli Johnson on CSN, and in his opinion the o-line was "atrocious". I think as a whole the o-line could have made a few more running lanes for Hightower and protected Grossman a little better. But "atrocious"?

Yes i understand the sack fumble play can be disasterous and have catostrophic results, but it happens. good defensive ends will beat the tackle occasionally. Trent literally dominated JPP 99 percent of the game.
JPP had 2 sacks, a forced fumble, and the Redskins averaged under 3 yards per carry. How does that equal domination for 99 percent of the game?

DE''s are starting to expose Trent. They are doing film study on him and if you all notice, Trent is a sucker for the inside fake then rush the edge move or the outside fake rush inside move. The outside fake rush inside move DE's are able to bull rush him to easily. I dunno, maybe he needs to get stronger or something. But its only game 1, he has plenty of time to improve and step it up.

I think his problem is he needs to find his ideal playing weight. His mid-section looks like Big Red's. If he gets fit it will help his endurance and quickness.

Watching that kid on the Patriots, Nate Solder, I was getting jealous. He was showing great quickness, lateral movement, and staying low in pass protection. He already looks like a better pass blocker than Trent. But, I think Trent has the edge in down-field run blocking right now.

I think his problem is he needs to find his ideal playing weight. His mid-section looks like Big Red's. If he gets fit it will help his endurance and quickness.

Watching that kid on the Patriots, Nate Solder, I was getting jealous. He was showing great quickness, lateral movement, and staying low in pass protection. He already looks like a better pass blocker than Trent. But, I think Trent has the edge in down-field run blocking right now.

He looked good for one half, but Wake was getting by him noticeably in the 2nd half. Not too hard to look like a good tackle also when you have Brady getting the ball out quick to poorly covered TEs. You're also comparing a RT to a LT.

One of the sacks,(explained by Trent),could be indicative of one reason why the Oline as a whole, is having a bit of trouble right now. Miscommunication amongst the linemen. I've watched several programs that have had guys mention that this would be one of the problems teams would have going in to the first part of the season. This due to the lockout of course. Interesting to note that though league wide there were some Madden type passing numbers put up last week,there were also over 90 sacks recorded. Looking to see how that compares to last season's first week,but this could be a sign that some of the analysts out there got that oline thing right.

• 2 weeks later...

Post Cowboys game bump, I thought Williams was probably the offensive bright spot against the Cowboys. He really played a great game against Ware, I felt he got away with a few holds, but overall he more than held his own. Ware beat him on a great spin move once, but that's really all he gave him.

The only real refreshing thing to come out of the Cowboys game, at least in my eyes.

He did play well. I was pleasantly surprised with how he protected Grossman. I would also say (echoing another poster's thread) that Montgomery played a good game considering we never heard Ratliff's name called. That's rare. Lastly, I have to give Gano credit. He drilled all of his kicks and put all of his KOs into or through the end zone. He played a perfect game considering his blocked FG never had a chance.

Archived