Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rexy: "You’ll see us in a lot of two-tight end situations for the rest of the year"

Oldskool

Exactly. Have we as fans not been calling for the two-TE set since the day we drafted Davis? Given how crappy our WRs have been the past few years, I'm dumbfounded that the coaches haven't made the two-TE set a staple of their offenses. About time.
You'll remember that Zorn was a wasted 2 years and Shanny used 2 TEs most of last year (particularly at the end), but Cooley was injured so he was not one of them.

Better late than never for the OC to finally realise FreddyD's available to him and start scaring the living crap out of opposing DC's by utilizing both.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 09:37 AM ----------

Not saying Grossman is anywhere close to TB but if Rex had 4-6 seconds of protection to stand in the pocket without being touched I think he could have had a couple more TDs last game. Just sayin.

Getting a little off topic, but that above anything else was the thing that really impressed me with Rex Sunday. He was far from perfect, but in the face of ridiculous pressure that lasted well into the second half he did tremendously well to keep composed and move the team.

The interesting thing, or worrying one given Rex's career; is just how long it will remain good as I can see him running for his life most week's behind a line that's little better than last years version.

Hail.

It seems like Davis has really turned the corner from an attitude stand point. Shanny has been really complimentary in regards to him being in shape, working hard, and doing all of the right things. This may be why it has taken this long for him to be involved in a two TE set (only going off one week, I know). He was forced into the lineup a few years back, due to a injury. All signs are pointing in a positive direction for davis.

How come beat writers and experts feel we have no weapons. I wish we could land Luck cuz I still feel QB in the one position that were are lacking on offense now and maybe LT :-(

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 08:59 AM ----------

Big Sleepy is impressing me, but I still would like the trade Cooley for the Raiders 2012 first round pick.

Dude, we can't do that to Cooley, that's just uncalled for.

Exactly. Have we as fans not been calling for the two-TE set since the day we drafted Davis? Given how crappy our WRs have been the past few years, I'm dumbfounded that the coaches haven't made the two-TE set a staple of their offenses. About time.

We were in multiple TE sets a lot of the time last year - I recall a stat of around 40% of all offensive plays. However with the probems we had in protection most of the time one of the TEs (it was mainly Davis) was in protection not out on a pattern. The difference this year is that we are sending both TEs out on patterns - Davis is being used as a move guy and is really often a hybrid TE/WR especially on 3rd and passing downs. Davis gets downfield much better than Cooley but he does not yet have the feel for finding space the way Chris does even on one leg.

Also Rex is very strong throwing between the numbers which is TE country.

Cooley looked like he was not fit - he was not running well and it was clear his knees are still a problem. Davis could well be the clear number one by the end of this year - we are seeing a changing of the guard I think.

Hell we can go three TE sets with Davis/Paulsen/Cooley :) hopefully we can effectively utilize Davis + Cooley this year.

Am pretty sure we saw the three on the field at the same time Sunday.

Our rotations and formations are fun this year. We are definitely throwing up a bunch of different looks on both sides of the ball.

expecting a big year from davis as well as cooley.. lets not forget, cooley is still a beast. he looks (and claims) he is in better shape than usual, and as soon as he gets healthy, it is going to show.

davis' loss of weight is going to be good for him. oftentimes i saw him losing his balance after catching a deep pass or not having enough juice to outrun the db's... i think davis turns those into long TD's this year.

the big problem with out double TE sets last year is that we needed them on the line to block.

if the oline can get better, our double TE sets will be a weapon that few other teams possess and an advantage that we can use to crush other teams.. cooley and davis are both near elite quality TE's, and i expect big production from both of them.

I like the idea of having two TEs who could be blocking or running routes.

Rex needs to get rid of the ball quicker....and that's where TE's can come play a huge role.

what worries me is rex performing when the real hardcore pressure comes ... i.e. jets/pats/eagles.

i think we caught a bit of a break with the giants and osi and tuck being out, even though JPP played well.

he did seem to look alive when we played the steelers.

Dude, we can't do that to Cooley, that's just uncalled for.
seeing the latest postgame interview I agree. but for a certainly mid-high 1st rounder, we would HAVE to make that trade. Captain checkdown in oakland would still get Cooley the ball, and at least it's not Cleveland*

*cookie for the reference

seeing the latest postgame interview I agree. but for a certainly mid-high 1st rounder, we would HAVE to make that trade. Captain checkdown in oakland would still get Cooley the ball, and at least it's not Cleveland*

*cookie for the reference

We are not getting a 1st round pick for Cooley even if we wanted to trade him IMO. He would have to get healthy first and then you might get a low 2nd but more likely a 3rd rounder. If it's a 3rd rounder or worse he has more value to us than that if both he and Davis are being involved in the offense.

Because we have played a lot of two TE last year? Last year, we went to two+ TE forms around 40% of the time. Obviously in 2009, that option was limited and in 2008, we did go two TE some although as Sleepy was not yet trusted and Sellers was the better blocker on a team that liked to run, we didn't go 2-TE often.

Give Cooley some time...he hasn't really played in weeks. By mid season, it might be Cooley stretching the defense, you never know.

Cooley is a very very good TE but his strength is running good routes and having a great feeling for coverage and finding space. He does not have the speed that Davis has to get down field and really stretch defenses and challenge safeties.

If it's 3rd and 8 and I want a guy to find a hole in the zone to pick up the 1st down Cooley is one of the best in the business. If I want a guy tomrun a skinny post or a seam route 20 yards downfield then I want Davis to be the guy.

I really like the trend toward multiple tight end sets, especially with the personnel that we have. Especially with the flexibility that we have in lining up tight ends as blockers, H backs or even receivers, I think that there is a real potential to cause mismatches. One thing that I think might be interesting would be to combine these sets with a no huddle approach so the other team has trouble with substitution. For instance, on a 1st and 10 yards to go you have three tight ends, one back and one WR. Depending on how many yards you get on that play, if you go no huddle the defense has trouble subbing in players to match up with your formation. If you need 7 or eight yards on 2nd down, Split two of the TE out as WR and have one blocking on the line and you have a pass look. If you need one yard on second down, you could set your formation with two TE on the line, one as H back. Not to mention the flexibility with protection schemes.

I think that are real possibilities where you can at the least cause the other team to use a time out by transitioning to a no huddle at a time when they are using specialized personnel packages. If the Skins have a third and one and bring in three TE in a jumbo type set, they get the first down and transition to a passing offense without a huddle. The defense is faced with either trying to stop that with short yardage personnel or taking a time out to sub in personnel. The opposite is also true, if you are using three TE on a third and long, you are short a yard so 4th and 1 and no huddle up to the line with three TE in a jumbo running formation. The defense either has to line up to stop the run with passing personnel.

Eventually defenses would adjust, probably by using more base packages against this formation, but again this presents an advantage as it limits more exotic looks. I'm sure that there are downsides to using more than two tight ends, mostly because it keeps some of our most athletic players off the field, but I think that it presents some interesting opportunities, especially with the no huddle.

Archived