Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rexy: "You’ll see us in a lot of two-tight end situations for the rest of the year"

Oldskool

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/129662833.html

4. Mike Shanahan utilized two-tight end sets for most of the game, and both Chris Cooley and Fred Davis caught passes. Cooley’s two receptions gave him more catches than other tight end in Redskins history.

Cooley is working his way back into game shape after missing the preseason with a knee injury. However, if the ailment persists, the Redskins won’t have to worry about rushing him back should Fred Davis continue to play like he did this past Sunday. Davis had more than 100 receiving yards for the first time in his career.

“Fred stretches the field vertically as well as any tight end in the league,” Grossman said. “To have, in my opinion, two of the best route-running, pass-catching, all-around good tight ends with Cooley and Fred -- you’ll see us in a lot of two-tight end situations for the rest of the year.”

----

Fred Davis - TE - Redskins

Rex Grossman is under the impression that the Redskins will go heavy on two-tight end sets this season.

The concern with Fred Davis is playing time, not performance. "You’ll see us in a lot of two-tight end situations for the rest of the year," Grossman insisted, adding that Davis can "stretch the field vertically as well as any tight end in the league." Davis finished Week 1 with five catches for 105 yards, but keep in mind he only had six targets. We love what we've seen of Davis every time he's played. Just be cautious before considering him a locked-in TE1.

Source: NBC Washington Sep 12 - 6:31 PM

Fred Davis looks more like a hybrid TE/WR, especially with his weight loss.

He was initially recruited at USC to be a WR but he grew into a TE's frame. Bad diet on his part (fast food) is what ballooned him up the last few years. This is the weight he should be at, ala Gonzalez, Witten and Gates.

Not sure why the official website kept his weight from last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins-could-use-more-two-tight-end-sets-in-2011/2011/08/08/gIQA2R5L3I_story.html

"This year, he’s making a strong case early in camp that he needs to be on the field more. Coaches say Davis has shown that he’s more familiar with the offense, and he reported to camp at 242 pounds, 15 pounds lighter than last season. He’s quick enough that coaches could put Cooley and Davis on either end of the tackles or line them up wide.

“[He] almost looked like a wide receiver,” Shanahan said of a trimmed-down Davis. “He's got the type of body to carry 260, but he's even better at the weight he’s currently at. He’s looking quick and elusive.”

TE is probably our best position on the team and we need to take advantage of having two very good TE's. Let's start with New England's blue print from tonight. They know how to use two TE's, WOW! Hernandez had 7 for 103 and a TD and Gronkowski had 6 for 86 and a TD. I hope to see this offense evolve as we go on. HTTR!!!

2 TE sets are good with me, Cooley and Davis have to be one of, if not the, best TE duos in the league. Really like how Davis has grown and matured over time.

I however could go the rest of the year without seeing the Rex under center and back motions to flanker leaving empty backfield. I hate that formation.

2 TE sets are good with me, Cooley and Davis have to be one of, if not the, best TE duos in the league. Really like how Davis has grown and matured over time.

I however could go the rest of the year without seeing the Rex under center and back motions to flanker leaving empty backfield. I hate that formation.

I agree. Everytime Hightower motioned out, I felt nervous about that. Unfortunately that has a lot to do with the lack of trust I have in the Oline. Hightower was doing a fantastic job in pass protection all night long. Hence, why he rarely came out of the game. I understand it's early but it seems Shanny really trusts Hightower in every way.

I really hope Davis ends up being one of our breakout players this year. He has shown enough flashes in his short career to feel like he will do so. It is one game, but how great would it be if he becomes a mismatch that teams must game plan for each game? Very excited about those prospects!

How come beat writers and experts feel we have no weapons. I wish we could land Luck cuz I still feel QB in the one position that were are lacking on offense now and maybe LT :-(

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 08:59 AM ----------

Big Sleepy is impressing me, but I still would like the trade Cooley for the Raiders 2012 first round pick.

New England has multiple TEs, yes. But one of them is playing an HBack role, which is Hernandez. I think Davis is going to be moved a bit more and utilized more as an HBack/Hybrid player and Cooley will probably be the prominant TE. Either way, I hope we utilize them. TEs are a QBs best friends vs. blitz.

New England seems to have two good tight ends and utilize them well.

And, I think, Brady is just a tad better than Grossman :).

Not saying Grossman is anywhere close to TB but if Rex had 4-6 seconds of protection to stand in the pocket without being touched I think he could have had a couple more TDs last game. Just sayin.

Finally. This is what we've been waiting for since 2008.

Exactly. Have we as fans not been calling for the two-TE set since the day we drafted Davis? Given how crappy our WRs have been the past few years, I'm dumbfounded that the coaches haven't made the two-TE set a staple of their offenses. About time.

Archived