Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: NFL's most underrated/overrated (DeAngelo Hall put in overrated)

skinsrbeast

DHall catches a lot of crap for his style of play when others don't because he's on the Redskins and we've lost a lot of games.

agree... are there really any players on the redskins that are overrated? our team has been so bad that fans dont think anyone on our team is good (except orakpo.. he gets love everywhere).

i dont know any fan that thinks dhall is a top 5 cb.. therefore, he is not overrated. if he were on the packers or patriots, the media would fawn over him and he would be overrated.

dhall is high risk/high reward. and i do think he is an above average cb because his ints outweigh his coverage flaws.

What; you'd rather put Westbrook in coverage instead? I think not.

Its part of football; you take risks, and at times there are rewards, and he has surely provided a truck load more than Rogers has, AND he can catch!

Every CB will get burned at times, yes, even Reavis gets a little butter spread on him, but they don't do it often to him, nor to Hall either, and thats what having a player with the capability can do for a defense...

DHall catches a lot of crap for his style of play when others don't because he's on the Redskins and we've lost a lot of games.

I don't think it's because he plays for the Redskins, I think it's because he talks too much. He draws attention to himself. There's a lot of teams that've lost a lot of games. Just losing is one thing, but losing and being vocal is something else.

I guess if you think Hall is a lockdown corner he is overrated, but if you think he is a gambler that can make a huge play every once in a while then you wouldn't be overrating him.

If you look at his stats you may think he is awesome, but I think everyone that watches him play knows his weaknesses and strengths, and when it is all tallied up, I come up "he's a fine CB"

All in all, an interception is worth at least a few blown coverages, because usually there are others to pick up the slack, a few 10-20 yard passes aren't going to make or break a game, but an int for a TD certainly can. Besides, when other teams face CB's that can actually catch the ball they will act differently, maybe more conservatively. Nothing pisses me off more than CB's who are amazing athletes, know the game, place themselves in positions to make INT's but whiff ALL the time... Champ Bailey and Rogers come to mind... watching those guys play was SOOO frustrating.

Hall is extremely over rated and frankly if I worked in the front office I'd have looked for a team willing to over pay for him. He's a game changer... Sadly he changes them both ways. I don't know what the defense is going to do but I know if I see him covering a above average wide out I am instantly worried. People say he's a gambler and gives up big plays but also makes big plays. Add some numbers to that. How many does he give up versus how many he makes.

DeAngelo Hall, Washington Redskins

But he consistently allows catches in front of him and gets burned deep, not just by stars but by guys like Arrelious Benn and Jason Hill. Our game charting recorded him with 10.0 adjusted yards per pass and a 41 percent adjusted success rate; both rank 81st among 89 cornerbacks.

We all know Hall is a ball-hawking CB. He loves to sit back in a zone and jump routes, and when he guesses correctly, he's got great hands and is a major threat to take it to the house. If one consequence of his style of play is that he allows quick slants to be caught in front of him, so be it, I can live with that.

But what kills me is when he gets burned on the deep ball, either on a double-move by the receiver or because he's slow to react to a receiver's go-route when he's reading the QB. Sometimes there's a safety behind him to bail him out, but in coverage schemes where he's responsible for the deep part of the field (say cover 3), would it kill him to tighten up his coverage? That would go a long way towards improving his game. Pick 6s are nice, but the effect is largely negated when you're also giving up the deep ball.

D hall gets burned? check

D hall gambles a lot? check

D hall makes game changing plays? check

D hall scores defensive TDs? check

hall is a gambler, hes gonna lose some gambles, hes gonna win. we run a defense built for getting turnovers, thats just the way it is. id rather have the guy getting the pick 6 and allowing some big plays. D hall single handedly won 2 of our 6 games last year lol.

BLC nailed it. DHall is High Risk/High Reward....but that can work in this defense.

Hall is overrated. That doesn't mean he's not good; it just means he's not as good as some make him out to be.

Exactly. Calling Hall overrated is fair. He's made several Pro Bowls and he's not really that great a cornerback. He's got his pluses, and people certainly remember him for his big plays. But he also has his minuses But compare him to a guy like Nnamdi Asomugha, who was unknown for many seasons while being vastly superior. Asomugha is well recognized now, but he's not flashy and not on a top team. So it took a while

He caught the same flack in Atlanta and Oakland. And deservedly so.

---------- Post added August-29th-2011 at 12:20 PM ----------

He's a GAME CHANGER! Period. Just ask Dallas.

And the Eagles.

Oh....wait.....

He caught the same flack in Atlanta and Oakland. And deservedly so.

Also losing teams. Hall played poorly in Oakland, but he's been good since day one as a Redskin.

The Atlanta situation was different. That criticism was more about personality conflict with a universally hated head coach than anything.

Also, people mention the Lee Evans TD as an example of him giving up touchdowns as if that was a busted coverage. Hall's coverage was good and Evans never got clean separation from him as Hall rode his hip. Maybe he could have tried to make a play on the ball but if he turns to find the ball then Evans does get separation. The problem was the safety was slow to offer help and the QB made an outstanding on the money throw unscathed.

Sometimes corners play good coverages and still give up passes when a WR and QB execute well. The only way to stop that play is for the safety to be in position to try and break up the pass or for someone to hit the QB before or during the delivery.

D hall gets burned? check

D hall gambles a lot? check

D hall makes game changing plays? check

D hall scores defensive TDs? check

hall is a gambler, hes gonna lose some gambles, hes gonna win. we run a defense built for getting turnovers, thats just the way it is. id rather have the guy getting the pick 6 and allowing some big plays. D hall single handedly won 2 of our 6 games last year lol.

Right here

Couldn't have been said better

You get what you get with Hall, like it or not

Overrated by whom, a few talking schmoes at ESPN?

Who cares?

:whoknows:

Hall is a playmaker. You can't argue with the fact that he jumps some routes and takes some risks but that's what you get. Asante Samuel is a similar type of player and he isn't on this list, why?

This.

When it comes to judging whether a player is overrated/underrated, I only trust two sources: the market and the players. The last time I saw a players poll, I think Romo sits to pee and Haynesworth were on it but definitely no D-Hall.

I don't disagree with the article's assessment of D-Hall, where I would disagree is the suggestion that he is "overrated" Who exactly is overrating him? Even most 'Skins fans will tell you that DeAngelo Hall is a high risk/high reward cornerback. He gives up too many catches and deep balls, but he also has the playmaking ability to change the game on any given pass thrown in his direction. Hasn't this been the scouting report on him since his early days in Atlanta?

Now, you can compare this to a guy like Carlos Rogers who might be able to cover a WR better, but he will continually give the opposing offenses another chance due to his inability to catch passes that are right into his hands.

If DeAngelo Hall is on the overrated list, there should be a spot right next to him for corners like Asante Samuel.

Asante Samuel is a similar type of player and he isn't on this list, why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fiLrOVaLvM

Because despite the Eagles being a very aggressive, blitzing defense that occasionally puts a DB on an island to back up a blitz, most intelligent football fans realize that a player of Samuel's caliber doesn't make the same type of mistakes that overrated guys like D. Hall make.

Its true. Allot of his talk about it from time to time. He can't cover a lick and he takes to many risks.

Some of those risks he take won games for us. Some cost us a touchdown. This is how the Hall play. If he is so overrated how the guy makes it to the ProBowl and become MVP?

I can't really blame anyone for saying Hall is overrated, he probably is. I love his style of play though.

I'm a big fan and apologist for Alex Semin and Jay Cutler too. There is something awesome about guys who look all-world in one game and laughably bad in the next. They're the more fun to watch than anyone else.

Archived