Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PCWorld: Feds Crack Down on Illegally Streamed Sporting Events

Geoff_K

**** off with that shutdown

When the NFL doesn't want to stream games online, what are people supposed to do? When the NFL wants to implement an old-school business model and pretend it's still 1990, what are you supposed to do?

You can cut down on illegal streaming ANYTIME by making it legal and offering legal options which put the black market out of business. The other sports, they all offer legit options. But if you can't afford a million dollars for DirecTV and you want to watch the Skins, and you aren't elite enough to live in this area, and there's no bar around town showing the game? Then what?

---------- Post added August-27th-2011 at 11:17 AM ----------

After reading the article, I notice that other people are charging for copyrighted content. Kind of like what that hockey site does with streaming. It's not your stuff. It belongs to the NHL. Why are you charging people to access something you don't own?

I have no problem with people streaming stuff for free. But when you claim sports content as yours and charge money for people to watch it, then you're just asking for trouble.

It's stupid to charge for content that other people are already charging for. If you stream online, stream it for free. You're just being a greedy pig by charging for content that you can already get. It's like those companies which charge you to watch cable online. They're unauthorized

Rationalizing theft abounds. The content is owned by the sports ventures and it's their right to distribute it how they see fit for their benefit. No one has the right to view it for free on any media. I think it's a bad busninees model not to offer online subscription services, but I'd guess their contract with television and Direct TV prevent that.

Rationalizing theft abounds. The content is owned by the sports ventures and it's their right to distribute it how they see fit for their benefit. No one has the right to view it for free on any media. I think it's a bad busninees model not to offer online subscription services, but I'd guess their contract with television and Direct TV prevent that.

Exactly. The right to broadcast the games is worth billions, and there are a lot of people out there who want to broadcast (and watch) the games without having to pay. "I want it, but I don't want to pay for it, so I'm going to steal it!"

Exactly. The right to broadcast the games is worth billions, and there are a lot of people out there who want to broadcast (and watch) the games without having to pay. "I want it, but I don't want to pay for it, so I'm going to steal it!"
Yup. The NFL wants people to have NFL Network subscribtions, NFL Sunday ticket, or their NFL online streaming.

There's nothing wrong with that.

BTW this has been an issue for at least a couple of years; I remember there being a committee hearing before 2010 on this.

i think the article is talking about 2 different things....

they are going after people who are streaming and charging for the content. the people who stream the NFL games for free are still breaking the law, but i doubt they are the top priority since they are not charging for their streams.

i don't see this really affecting the streaming of NFL games this year.

i think the article is talking about 2 different things....

they are going after people who are streaming and charging for the content. the people who stream the NFL games for free are still breaking the law, but i doubt they are the top priority since they are not charging for their streams.

i don't see this really affecting the streaming of NFL games this year.

Exactly, when I read the article this is what I surmised. People have no right to stream content and CHARGE for it, they can stream it for free and I don''t give a ****. You didn't make the content, why are you charging for it? Just a scam and I hope those guys get cracked down upon.

I wonder if my Brothers and my daughter would have been sued for sending me care packages with VHS tapes of Redskins games when I was stationed overseas back in the day?

They probably would have overlooked it since it was during the Era of Norv, thinking I was being punished as is.

Is it illegal to buy a slingbox, send it to one of the members of ES who live in DC and tune in to watch the games for free?

Hold on. Would that work? Could i send a box to my parents or brother and be able to watch all my dc sports? How would it effect their internet speed?

This idea intrigues me.

The NFL package online is called NFL Game Rewind. Doesn't that sound like you can watch it after the game is over? I read through the rules and they don't seem to specify. If it's all the games online live for $50 I'm all for that. I did the adtfte.net thing last year and having a secure source would be worth fifty easy. Seems too cheap when they get $350 for the ticket.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?icampaign=GR_GeoBlock_GP

The NFL package online is called NFL Game Rewind. Doesn't that sound like you can watch it after the game is over? I read through the rules and they don't seem to specify. If it's all the games online live for $50 I'm all for that. I did the adtfte.net thing last year and having a secure source would be worth fifty easy. Seems too cheap when they get $350 for the ticket.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?icampaign=GR_GeoBlock_GP

Unless they changed the rules this past offseason, you can watch each game 24 hours after it's over. Totally worth it.

Technically since its publicly broadcasted isn't the stream legal? I understand the NFL not wanting them to make it available to other markets but then they shouldn't sell tv rights to a publicly broadcasted station. The stations make their money through ads so i know they don't mind a broader audience. If it were a cable company or hbo then i could see them going after people but not over something that's publicly broadcasted

Hold on. Would that work? Could i send a box to my parents or brother and be able to watch all my dc sports? How would it effect their internet speed?

This idea intrigues me.

Won't affect their internet speed if they have a good connection at home. You can send them the slingbox, but be careful as the slingbox hooks up directly to the cable box. Whatever channel they are watching, you'll be watching it too on your computer. It's best if you have a spare cable box in the main house.

Unless they changed the rules this past offseason, you can watch each game 24 hours after it's over. Totally worth it.

Watching after the fact isn't going to do it. It would be fine if it were in addition to a way to watch live. I need to figure something out, the prospect of having to sign up for all the other **** that dtv will make me buy is really stuck in my craw. If it were just the $350 for a season I'd pay it in a second but two years of **** along with it is sucks.

This idea intrigues me.

I did it for a year when I was at college. It was spotty because my home Internet connection was spotty, but when the connection was smooth, it was great.

Watching after the fact isn't going to do it. It would be fine if it were in addition to a way to watch live. I need to figure something out, the prospect of having to sign up for all the other **** that dtv will make me buy is really stuck in my craw. If it were just the $350 for a season I'd pay it in a second but two years of **** along with it is sucks.

Do you have a PS3? There was a thread here saying how Sunday Ticket was going to be offered on that platform and you don't need a dish or to buy the rest of DTV's programming.

Archived