Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PCWorld: Feds Crack Down on Illegally Streamed Sporting Events

Geoff_K

They already mentioned it was $339 for the entire season on PS3

That's outrageous, it's half the cost of a season ticket for crying out loud. I'll be stealing thank you very much. I don't care what you want to call it, I can't afford that much money to watch my favorite team just because I don't live in the market.

I think they can make a lot of more money if they have packages for a particular team. I am sure Comcast and these providers can do something like NFC east packages or something like a 4 team package pre determined so all the teams get picked so something like u get all Cheifs, Jets, Redskins and Rams game to spread the teams out

I think they can make a lot of more money if they have packages for a particular team. I am sure Comcast and these providers can do something like NFC east packages or something like a 4 team package pre determined so all the teams get picked so something like u get all Cheifs, Jets, Redskins and Rams game to spread the teams out

If they offered me only my teams games, on the PS3 for say 50 bucks for the season. Done. And you know they would make a killing on a deal like that. Full packages are great if you're a bar or you have giant NFL parties every week. I really just want to watch 1 game each week, 16 games a season. I can do without the rest of them for the most part.

If they offered me only my teams games, on the PS3 for say 50 bucks for the season. Done. And you know they would make a killing on a deal like that. Full packages are great if you're a bar or you have giant NFL parties every week. I really just want to watch 1 game each week, 16 games a season. I can do without the rest of them for the most part.

thats what i mean. I think doing certain teams would never happen but i can see those plans like they do have at baseball games and hockey games where you get have to get 1 premier team, 2 average teams and 1 ****ty team lol

Well not only that, but there's only games on at 1 and 4. So even if you're team isn't playing, its not like you can watch a bunch of different games all day like say the college football or basketball package.

If they had the RedZone Channel for PS3, I'd totally buy that.

Yup. The NFL wants people to have NFL Network subscribtions, NFL Sunday ticket, or their NFL online streaming.

There's nothing wrong with that.

BTW this has been an issue for at least a couple of years; I remember there being a committee hearing before 2010 on this.

The NFL online subscriptions are recent so that is why they are starting to crack down. Before there was no choice but to view the preseason games especially but that way. I guess I can understand them protecting it, but they should just make it available and reasonable.

I used to be a member of probably the largest football sharing site; and I had a huge collection from 2004-2008 of games. Instead of doing that I'd probably go with the NFL rewind.... I didn't care about watching the games live or not... it was a treat just to watch them during the week.

I used to be a member of probably the largest football sharing site; and I had a huge collection from 2004-2008 of games. Instead of doing that I'd probably go with the NFL rewind.... I didn't care about watching the games live or not... it was a treat just to watch them during the week.

What do you do, sequester yourself so you don't know who won? If not then I would find watching a game already knowing the outcome isn't the same experience as watching it live. It's good for being able to look at specific players and situations, you know analyzing in preparation for some hard core stadium action, but there's not the excitement of watching the game. Least for me. If you sequester yourself it must be hard and what a let down if you accidentally see the box somewhere.

Come to think of it, playing in a fantasy league would most likely ensure that I found out.

*******s.

Find something more serious to tackle.

I'm not following you. Are you saying that the Department of Homeland Security has something more important to do than combating the streaming of live sporting events? Like what? I thought this was the reason why the PATRIOT Act was signed into law.

---------- Post added August-28th-2011 at 12:15 PM ----------

What do you do, sequester yourself so you don't know who won? If not then I would find watching a game already knowing the outcome isn't the same experience as watching it live. It's good for being able to look at specific players and situations, you know analyzing in preparation for some hard core stadium action, but there's not the excitement of watching the game. Least for me. If you sequester yourself it must be hard and what a let down if you accidentally see the box somewhere.

Come to think of it, playing in a fantasy league would most likely ensure that I found out.

I tried doing this last year. But it's just not feasible, especially if you want to watch more than one game that week. The scores scrolling across the screen during the broadcast make it nearly impossible not to know the outcome of every game that went on at the same time. And even if you put a strip of black tape across your screen, they still switch to other matchups to show highlights during the game.

As far as football goes I'm probably an outlier regarding how I view live sports and re-watching the games. Even if I see the score or highlights I want to know exactly what happened in the game; what the key points were (ie. field position game) and evaluate the players. But... the obsession with that is in the past somewhat... (longer reply is below but I think the above is the gist of the answer).

I'm not as obsessed with football as I used to be. At one point the Redskins were a huge part of my life; and took up a huge part of my Sunday (and football). During that time I watched every Redskin game live (something like 1994-2002) to the best of my ability. In 2003 I graduated from college, moved out to the LA-area and in 2004 I got married. 2003-2008 I still for the most part followed the game in real time (to the best of my ability) via the radio (we were out on Sunday's as well) and watched all the national games I could; I downloaded the games after the fact, I still loved watching every snap even if I knew the outcome. But, over time things changed, one of the factor's was the death of Sean Taylor, other factor's my struggle to be a good father, husband and family man, and also (I don't want to start a thread on religion) the fact I became a born-again Christian and my Sunday's and church habits practically switched roles. To use an astrological term, as the other moon's in my life got bigger and closer to the center of my world, the "Redskins Moon" got pushed further out, in fact the whole NFL/football moon has gotten pushed out, even though I'd say it was strongest for a period of 2004-2007.

The Washington Redskins have given me a lot of love over the years, I've enjoyed following the team my whole life, my son loves the Redskins, I'll never stop being a Redskin fan; but at the end of the day my time on planet Earth is limited, and I want to spend it on the things most important to me. If you want to know the NFL (or any other entertainmnent corporation) caters to the 18-25 male age range; it's this factor... 18-25 year old males will have the most free time to expend on other things.

---------- Post added August-28th-2011 at 10:12 AM ----------

.. and back to the topic at hand.

Even in a relaxed copyright regime where content was in the public domain after 1 month... the Fed's would come hard after illegal streams which are charging. I think the new ISP rules (6 strikes) may also make it easier to bring civil charges against the free streamers, if they wanted to go that route. While post-facto copyright infringement do impact sporting event; nothing does more damage than concurrently running streams for "freeloaders" to watch.

Direct Tv is the perfect deal - great service but it is costly. Even if I was dirt poor, I would scrape together enough to buy the Sunday Ticket for the skins. I usually am able to negotiate the costs down to $10 per game and under - this year I got it for $75 total. Since I would spend, easily 3-4 times that at a bar to watch... plus in HD on my 55" tv its super nice.

Anyway, I gladly pay but am very bummed that there is no deal for Direct TV for preseason games. I usually have to watch those on the streaming and the picture sucks.

I also get the sports package on DTV which includes comcast DC, so I get to watch the Skins shows, though for some reason they black out redskins nation... but I do get to watch the super hot Kelly Johnson and all the post game live stuff.

It can be expensive but just save your pennies for the fall...

Archived