Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Georgetown Brawl in China during Basketball Tour

CrypticVillain

So Georgetown had 28 fouls by halftime for the Chinese team's 11? Is that correct? I'm sure that could have something to do with people blaming the Hoyas for this brawl.

hold up VCU fans know all about that foul crap. We get the short end of the stick at home all the time with refs. Its not unheard of for a ref to call stuff completely unfair. There's a ref still banned from reffing our conference because of the crap he pulled in one of our games a few years ago. He called 6 fouls in 30 secs and caused a fight. Trust me fouls are not good indication. I've seen games of 20 fouls on each team. That mean other the teams are being physical or the ref is ticky tacky.

Video

http://videos.sportsgrid.com/embed/player/container/630/450/?r=733122357632964.9&content=F8M5112NKR7S7H2V&widget_type_cid=svp&read_more=1&referrer=http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-basketball/video-georgetown-basketball-team-brawls-in-china/#

About :19 in, a G-Town player is on the floor getting molly whooped....

Such an UGLY scene. From what I've been reading, the game was one-sided (from fouls being called) and many of the Chinese players were on edge....one even got in the face of JT3. Unbelievable.

Hopefully, G-Town got out of there with nothing but a few bumps and bruises. Situation looks as though it could have been much worse. Police didn't do anything, opposing players/coaches did nothing to calm the situation.

I will just say that the Big East in general, and Georgetown inclusive, plays a very physical brand of basketball. Compared to international basketball, it probably does seem to the other teams like Georgetown is playing Hockey not Bball.

Or, the refs could have been cheating for the greater glory of China.

I will just say that the Big East in general, and Georgetown inclusive, plays a very physical brand of basketball. Compared to international basketball, it probably does seem to the other teams like Georgetown is playing Hockey not Bball.

Or, the refs could have been cheating for the greater glory of China.

Yeah, I'd like to know which it is. The account from a Georgetown fan makes it sound clearly like the latter.

hold up VCU fans know all about that foul crap. We get the short end of the stick at home all the time with refs. Its not unheard of for a ref to call stuff completely unfair. There's a ref still banned from reffing our conference because of the crap he pulled in one of our games a few years ago. He called 6 fouls in 30 secs and caused a fight. Trust me fouls are not good indication. I've seen games of 20 fouls on each team. That mean other the teams are being physical or the ref is ticky tacky.

Combined with it being a Big East team, I'll err on the side of assuming Georgetown was just doing what they always do. This is coming from a pseudo-Hoya fan too. There's a reason they upped the fouls to 6 in the BE.

Looking at the video, it looks like that the Georgetown player threw the first punch......... HOWEVER, it was after the Chinese player almost clotheslining him when he was trying to steal the ball.

I get it, Georgetown hasn't been the most classiest program, but that was almost two decades ago. The team, as of lately, has been okay.

Obviously the fix was in. Calls were almost exclusively going against Georgetown. Opposing players getting in JT3's face. They were trying to punk a team from the Capital of America and they went overboard with it.

Can we please stop this nonsense of blaming Georgetown. It is ridiculous.........

Yeah, looks like Hoya lost his temper after getting fouled hard (with no call), threw a punch, then got bum rushed by four Bayi(?) players and stomped on the ground.

Poor reaction by both sides. More upset with the Chinese team than the American team though. Tempers get lost..when someone gets punched in an NBA/NCAA game, it usually doesn't clear the bench.

Is this normal in China for a fight?

What exactly has G-Town done to be labeled a "thuggish" program? Baseless comment from Bubble Screen, IMO.

Also, take into consideration that the Chinese players are MILITARY men.....

Yeah that was kind of a dumb comment. They play aggressive full court man-to-man... when Duke or a Bob Knight coached team does it, it's hustle defense. When Georgetown does it, it's thuggish. :rolleyes:

Looking at the video, it looks like that the Georgetown player threw the first punch......... HOWEVER, it was after the Chinese player almost clotheslining him when he was trying to steal the ball.

I get it, Georgetown hasn't been the most classiest program, but that was almost two decades ago. The team, as of lately, has been okay.

Obviously the fix was in. Calls were almost exclusively going against Georgetown. Opposing players getting in JT3's face. They were trying to punk a team from the Capital of America and they went overboard with it.

Can we please stop this nonsense of blaming Georgetown. It is ridiculous.........

Thank you, your much more eloquent than I am, but you're right on point

Chinese people are thugs. ;)

I hate that Chinese team, 4 on 1? Fight like a man you chumps. We should go to war with China over this.

Let's go Hoyas! This has got me psyched up for the season.

I want that Chinese team to come to the United States so we can throw bottles at them. Stupid maggots.

Yeah that was kind of a dumb comment. They play aggressive full court man-to-man... when Duke or a Bob Knight coached team does it, it's hustle defense. When Georgetown does it, it's thuggish. :rolleyes:

To me, it's the reputation of the conference (right or wrong) that doesn't help Gtown in this situation. I wouldn't call them thuggish at all, but I would call them VERY physical which can really get under the skin of the opposition. I'm willing to concede that this fight wasn't their fault, but I earlier in the day it wouldn't have shocked me if they were at fault. The way much of the Big East plays is different than "full court man-to-man" defense.

The Big East is like the 1990s Knicks/Pacers series.

It looks like it wasn't just a U.S basketball team that got into it in china:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2011/08/18/139753018/biden-china-visit-literally-sees-push-come-to-shove-in-u-s-sino-relations

In what may be metaphors for the ever edgier U.S.-China relationship, two high-profile American visits to Beijing were marred by pushing and in one case actual fighting between representatives of the U.S. and Chinese.

One incident involved pushing and shoving between U.S. and Chinese officials at an appearance by Vice President Biden who's on an official visit to China partly to reassure officials there about U.S. finances.

The other was a serious fight that broke out during to the Georgetown University men's basketball team during, of all things, a goodwill game Thursday.

During an event at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, U.S. reporters and members of the vice president's staff got into a shoving match with Chinese officials while Biden delivered brief remarks nearby. Biden had just received welcoming words from his Chinese counterpart, Vice President Xi Jinping.

Archived