Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT and CSN: Grossman Predicts Skins win NFC East

SonnyandSam

More like 15-20. Considering he was a free agent...that's totally unacceptable. He looks like he hasn't been working out.

Both John Keim and Rich Campbell have said there is zero difference in Rex's physique from this year to last year.

Quit trying to make a mountian out of a non-existant mole hill.

Both John Keim and Rich Campbell have said there is zero difference in Rex's physique from this year to last year.

That's what I'm saying. Everyone who has seen Rex in person has said there is absolute know noticeable difference in his weight. He looked the same way during the player's workouts, where was all the "Rex got fat!" comments there.

If Cam Newton came out and said the exact same words about the Panthers, no one would care. This is a non-story in a season where the only Redskins stories have been non-stories.

And there's been others that are also onsite, that have said he looks like he's gained weight. Why in the world would he admit to needing to lose "5-6 lbs" if he is the same physique????

That's the kind of smoke that someone being signed as a free agent should have the sense to avoid. Period. If anything, the comments should've been "wow, Rex looks great! He hasn't been this fit since he was a Gator...", etc etc. Not questions about his fitness, in conjunction with his making predictions without even having earned a position as a leader of this team. Maybe there's a reason he was only signed to a 1 year deal...no?

And there's been others that are also onsite, that have said he looks like he's gained weight. Why in the world would he admit to needing to lose "5-6 lbs" if he is the same physique????

That's the kind of smoke that someone being signed as a free agent should have the sense to avoid. Period. If anything, the comments should've been "wow, Rex looks great! He hasn't been this fit since he was a Gator...", etc etc. Not questions about his fitness, in conjunction with his making predictions without even having earned a position as a leader of this team. Maybe there's a reason he was only signed to a 1 year deal...no?

Rex has never been fit! It's insane that you still troll this issue with the fervor of a 9/11 truther.

Geez 13 pages of posts and a front page headline on ESPN because a QB thinks his team can win. How would everyone feel if he had said he thinks we are going to struggle and he can't see us winning more than 4 or 5 games? THEN I could understand an outcry and headlines.

This is a dog bites man story as far as I am concerned.

Rex has never been fit! It's insane that you still troll this issue with the fervor of a 9/11 truther.

Why would he say he needed to lose 5-6 lbs if he's 'always' been that way? That thought process doesn't make sense. I'm not the only person saying it either.

Why would he say he needed to lose 5-6 lbs if he's 'always' been that way? That thought process doesn't make sense. I'm not the only person saying it either.

You win. Rex is fat and out of shape, has snookered us into a contract, and is a moron for ever saying anything ever.

Your daily ES overanalysis is complete.

Perspective, Out.

Your complaining about 5 or 6 pounds? The coaches don't seem worried. His team mates don't seem worried. And so far, you seem to be the only one worried about it.

Given the temperatures, and training, do you really think that he can't shed the weight?

And yes, your making a mountain out of a non-existent mole hill.

I wonder how much of a story this is around the country. We will see how much press it gets on SportsCenter tonight.

This little snippet from Grossman's interview is getting a lot of play in the press. I just had an Iggles fan send me a mocking message about Grossman's IQ.

I do not really get what all the fuss is about. Would you prefer our QB to say he thinks we will suck this year?

Give me a break. I am glad he is confident.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 03:38 PM ----------

Your complaining about 5 or 6 pounds? The coaches don't seem worried. His team mates don't seem worried. And so far, you seem to be the only one worried about it.

Given the temperatures, and training, do you really think that he can't shed the weight?

Maybe not. Grossman clearely put on weight this offseason. Look at the photos from camp, he is sporting a visible gut. Also, I saw an after-practice interview with Grossman where he seemed unable to catch his breath.

I am also concerned about Grossman's fitness. I do not want to make this a bigger issue than it is, since we have so little to base our assessment on at this point, but it is something to keep an eye on.

I didn't say anything as it pertains to his performance on the field for us. That's a strawman argument. I said between him showing up out of shape in a contract year, where he's competing for a starting spot, jumbled with him making ill conceived predictions, it leads me to believe that he lacks intelligence. Maybe it's also part of the reason he only got a one year contract...and part of the reason he didn't get better offers from other teams that were interested.

He wants to talk about us being better...well what did he personally do this offseason to get better? Doesn't appear to be much...

Football players get paid to be in shape...their biggest asset are their bodies. If he gets an injury that arises from a lack of conditioning, bet the songs and dances will change. Training camp isn't the place for you to get in shape...especially when you're supposed to be competing for a starting spot.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 04:48 PM ----------

You win. Rex is fat and out of shape, has snookered us into a contract, and is a moron for ever saying anything ever.

Your daily ES overanalysis is complete.

Perspective, Out.

Where did I say any of those things? Since neither you nor I have access to a scale and Rex Grossman at his current weight as it was on 8/4/11, it's a pointless argument. Nowhere did I say "the season's lost", "we're doomed...". I said that maybe I shouldn't be surprised by him saying stupid things when having questions about your fitness, in a contract year is stupid in of itself. Period.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 03:38 PM ----------

Maybe not. Grossman clearely put on weight this offseason. Look at the photos from camp, he is sporting a visible gut. Also, I saw an after-practice interview with Grossman where he seemed unable to catch his breath.

I am also concerned about Grossman's fitness. I do not want to make this a bigger issue than it is, since we have so little to base our assessment on at this point, but it is something to keep an eye on.

He's not held out of practice, nor has there been any news of him failing a conditioning test. He's managed to take part in the drills.

A quick search on google. Rex Grossman overweight.

You know what comes up first? Bleacher Report. Washington Post Sports Bog and Terez Owens all looking at the same picture.

Nothing comes up from the coaches, nor the front office or trainers saying this is a problem.

Rex said he could stand to lose 5-6 pounds. I don't know about you, but I think that weight can easily come off working out and the heat.

Now could that picture be showing him heavier than he actually is?

So basically a few bloggers comment on the same photo and now Rex Grossman is the next Jared Lorenzen?

So yes, it is a mountain out of a non existent molehill

I

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 05:09 PM ----------

I didn't say anything as it pertains to his performance on the field for us. That's a strawman argument. I said between him showing up out of shape in a contract year, where he's competing for a starting spot, jumbled with him making ill conceived predictions, it leads me to believe that he lacks intelligence. Maybe it's also part of the reason he only got a one year contract...and part of the reason he didn't get better offers from other teams that were interested.

He wants to talk about us being better...well what did he personally do this offseason to get better? Doesn't appear to be much...

Football players get paid to be in shape...their biggest asset are their bodies. If he gets an injury that arises from a lack of conditioning, bet the songs and dances will change. Training camp isn't the place for you to get in shape...especially when you're supposed to be competing for a starting spot.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 04:48 PM ----------

Well gee, I guess we better go ahead and call Jenny Craig then.

The coaches have not made a peep out of it.

What did he do this off-season to get better? He only came to players only practices while he was NOT UNDER CONTRACT.

Show me where this is concerning the team. Show me where anyone besides bloggers are making something of this.

And your just so off on him making a prediction. Try and read what he actually said and in context.

Since I doubt you would use your mental acumen to actually search and find out what he actually said, I will save you some time.

"“We’re fine being the sleepers right now,” Grossman said, before doing his best to wake everyone up to the Redskins. Or to provide comic relief to the rest of the league.

“We’re just waiting in the wings ready to take over the NFC East. Nobody’s talking about us, it’s right where we wanna be. You look at us from top to bottom out here, there’s a bunch of great players. And we don’t need people saying we’re the best right now. But when it’s all said and done, I really feel like this team’s gonna win the [NFC] East.”

The guy is showing confidence in the team. Would you rather him say, we are gonna suck, oh and let me eat this twinkie?

He's not held out of practice, nor has there been any news of him failing a conditioning test. He's managed to take part in the drills.

The conditioning tests weren't even conducted this year because they didn't have OTAs. And last summer, only two people had to do them because they missed a certain percentage of the OTAs.

Nothing comes up from the coaches, nor the front office or trainers saying this is a problem.

Do you really think the coaches or trainers would say something like that to the press? The Vikings released Bryant McKinnie (who was under contract) and didn't give a reason when it was painfully obvious why.

Rex said he could stand to lose 5-6 pounds. I don't know about you, but I think that weight can easily come off working out and the heat.

It's not the function of training camp to get players into shape. Especially not a free agent that should've been working out with a new contract in mind. Of course he can lose the weight...but he's wasting his and coaches' time doing something that he should've been doing all offseason.

My philosophy, this is my job. This is my livelihood. You've got to assume the lockout is going to be done at some point, so it's your job to stay in shape. Everybody can find a gym.
Now could that picture be showing him heavier than he actually is?

I've never seen pictures of Moss, Fletcher, Orakpo, Cooley, even damn Jason Campbell. showing them heavier than what they are.

What did he do this off-season to get better? He only came to players only practices while he was NOT UNDER CONTRACT.

Him working out at players' workouts for a grand total of 9 days over 3 months doesn't negate the fact that he appears to have gained weight. They had 3 in April, 3 in May, and 3 in June. Funny how Trent Williams can decide to skip them but be in better shape when the lockout ends. I would've preferred that to this.

Would you rather him say, we are gonna suck, oh and let me eat this twinkie?

Not sure how you can say him thinking the team is going to win the NFC East isn't a prediction. I would've rather him kept his mouth shut. If he absolutely felt he had to say something, wait until we win some divisional games...at least wait until we win some regular season games. Even better, wait until we look decent and execute in preseason. **** wait until you've taken off the red jersey and been hit this season.

You don't think the real leaders of our team get asked these questions all of the time? And you know why you never hear about it? Because they say the right things. The mundane lines with buzzwords like execution and improvement.

Ok, your right megared. He's just a fat tub of lard and we are all in danger of falling into his orbit.

Jeesh, get over it.

Your complaining because he has confidence in his team and vocalized it. I bet his team mates were glad to hear that. ( but I guess that goes against your agenda)

I would say your remarks are witty, but that would only be half right.

I don't know abou t anybody else, but I will tell you that I am about SICK of hearing people dis the Redskins. The Daniel Snyder Skins sucked when Vinnie was running the show. I make fun of them, and its okay if the media wants to run down Vinnie and his stupid fool moves. Using THREE 2nd round picks on receivers, none which have played significant roles as of yet on any team. Signing Hayesworth. Yes lets tar and feather Vinnie and Snyder. But folks, this is 2011. Allen and Shanahan are here...VINNIE is gone. Allen and Shanahan have 3 Superbowl rings between them.

Hugh Douglas laughed out loud when he heard that Rex predicted the SKins could win the division. Others on ESPN are chuckling, and I believe Cris Carter actually gagged and threw up. This is absolutely insulting to fans of the Washington Redskins. Yes, Snyder ruined the Redskins and Vinnie left this place in shambles, but come on, look at reality. The Cowboys draft AHEAD of the Redskins and they made less moves. Why are the Cowboys predicted to be BACK, despite cutting starters from last season. Do they really think a rookie right tackle will save the day. (See Redskins from last season)

I have no idea if our Skins will finish first or last, but I do know that I am hoping they beat the snot out of the Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants at least one game each so that we have some bragging rights, and by the way.....we did beat the Eagles, and Cowboys last year along with the SUPERBOWL CHAMPION GREEN BAY PACKERS. This is not a bad team and I look forward to Friday nights game. I just hope Rex finally has enough experience and enough playmakers to put points on the board. If we do it against the Steelers we can do it against anyone.

Archived