Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT and CSN: Grossman Predicts Skins win NFC East

SonnyandSam

Some of you realize that a player can believe his team will win the division without making predictions in the media, right?

This is the hardest thing for some folks to grasp whenever a coach or player makes bold predictions in the press--"oh, I'm glad he believes in his team, blah blah blah."

But believing in your team (and self) and putting a target on your back are two different things.

Also, I agree w/ a previous poster who said that this kind of bravado often reeks of insecurity, like the person yapping doesn't believe in himself. Who do you think is the better fighter, the guy who says, "you know, I really don't want to fight you, man," or the guy running his mouth off and saying he can whoop anyone's butt? Which of these two do you probably have to watch out for the most? Answer: the quiet guy.

Also, I agree w/ a previous poster who said that this kind of bravado often reeks of insecurity, like the person yapping doesn't believe in himself. Who do you think is the better fighter, the guy who says, "you know, I really don't want to fight you, man," or the guy running his mouth off and saying he can whoop anyone's butt? Which of these two do you probably have to watch out for the most? Answer: the quiet guy.

Unless you're Muhammed Ali...

But believing in your team (and self) and putting a target on your back are two different things.

Well, Rex just said the Skins will win the NFC East. Rex should say that, and he shouldn't be "Scared" about putting a target on the team's back. If your goal is not to win the Division and excel, why show up?

Now Rob Ryan making his statement about kicking the Eagles asses, that in my opinion takes it a bit too far, and is different. Ryan has basically called out the Eagles before down one of the season has even been played. He is calling out an individual team. Rex didn't do that, he just believes in his team. (If you believe him)

Well, Rex just said the Skins will win the NFC East. Rex should say that, and he shouldn't be "Scared" about putting a target on the team's back. If your goal is not to win the Division and excel, why show up?

Now Rob Ryan making his statement about kicking the Eagles asses, that in my opinion takes it a bit too far, and is different. Ryan has basically called out the Eagles before down one of the season has even been played. He is calling out an individual team. Rex didn't do that, he just believes in his team. (If you believe him)

So do you walk around boasting about what you plan to accomplish at your job?

Too many people willing to criticize a guy for believing in his team. Is everyone who believes Rex should not have predicted success SO JADED that they believe they know better, or believe its not a proper mindset for a team's quarterback in training camp?

My concern is the lack of respect from the reporter, as if he's got a lock on the crystal ball market.

I hope Rex is right.

Wow, after watching the actual interview, this is now cemented in my mind as traditional sensationalistic journalism. He didn't predict anything, just that he believes we'll be good enough to win the NFC East. He also said, when asked about the Bears team he went to a Super Bowl with, that this offense is head and shoulders better than the one they had. Is that ok for him to believe, lol?

It's too bad they took this quote and ran with it... now I'm sure he's going to have this stigma of a prediction forced on him throughout the entire year.

Wow, after watching the actual interview, this is now cemented in my mind as traditional sensationalistic journalism. He didn't predict anything, just that he believes we'll be good enough to win the NFC East. He also said, when asked about the Bears team he went to a Super Bowl with, that this offense is head and shoulders better than the one they had. Is that ok for him to believe, lol?

It's too bad they took this quote and ran with it... now I'm sure he's going to have this stigma of a prediction forced on him throughout the entire year.

The well of Redskins drama has dried up. They have to take what they can get now.

I mean surely some controversy can be drummed up about a QB predicting his team will be good enough to win it's Division right? :rolleyes:

This is two non-stories from Pro Football Talk in two days. These guys are fishin' for something, ANYTHING. They know how much traffic these stories get. There's nothing to this story. If you watch the video IN CONTEXT, you'll plainly see what Rex meant.

This is also two non-stories in two days that Redskins have fell for like the suckers they are, driving traffic to a website that is complete garbage.

I do talk with my co-workers (who also set their own goals) about what I want to accomplish before I retire. I don't consider that boasting. I consider that having goals and a direction.

Rex Grossman wasn't having a private conversation w/ his teammates at the lunch table about the upcoming season.

He's a public figure and has to watch what he says to the media--it's part of his job.

Rex Grossman wasn't having a private conversation w/ his teammates at the lunch table about the upcoming season.

He's a public figure and has to watch what he says to the media--it's part of his job.

Fair enough, but you asked the question. :ols:

;)

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 04:09 AM ----------

all jokes aside, I don't think Rex was "boasting." There is nothing wrong with confidence, or a bit of bravado. Like I said, Rex's comment was tame compared to what Rob Ryan will be dishing out all season. We have just received a taste.

I mean seriously, how much stock do you put in a statement like Rex's ending up as bulletin board material in New York, Dallas, and Philadelphia? The rest of Division thinks the Skins are a joke. Do you think that Rex's comment is really going to get them all revved up to pound the Skins?

I don't

All Grossman is saying is that it's the Redskins time to shine. Considering that the Redskins not only defeated the eventual Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers, but split with Philly and Dallas last year as well as played the NY Giants close the last game of the season, he feels that this team will hit its stride this year. And guess what? I'm predicting that the Washington Redskins will win the NFC East too. We haven't won the division in 13 years which was Snyder's first year as owner.

If you're gay, it's a sin. If you're skinny, you're on drugs. If you speak you're mind, you're a "dick". If you don't say anything, you're miserable. If you complain, you're a diva. If you date a lot, you're a player. If you defend yourself, you're a trouble maker. YOU CANT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT BEING CRITICIZED!!

I saw the interview last night and didn't see anything wrong with it. He went from saying the Skins have a lot more talent top to bottom then that SB Bears team did. That the Bears got on a roll and that's what he sees happening here.

Watch the CSN video folks.

I think we've been losers for so long, fans are afraid to put anything bold out there. I liked what he said.

Don't be surprised. Grossman came in and this offense began to move last year at the end. he had what 8 passing TDs in 4 games. he is a high risk-high reward QB.

I like Rex he just go in and turn it on. One TD, One INT, good thing we got a good defense this year with all the additions.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 07:09 AM ----------

If you're gay, it's a sin. If you're skinny, you're on drugs. If you speak you're mind, you're a "dick". If you don't say anything, you're miserable. If you complain, you're a diva. If you date a lot, you're a player. If you defend yourself, you're a trouble maker. YOU CANT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT BEING CRITICIZED!!

Coun't have said it better....Every media outlet can't wait until we fail so they can have something to talk about. I can't beleive that some of these folks claim they are fans.

I'm saying it now that we are going 8+ this year.

If the Redskins win the division, I will let Rex sign my butt and have someone on sight to tatoo over the ink.

This team could surprise a lot of people, not that I expect a division title but we will win games that no one expects us to (probably blow a few we ought to take as well). The difference between 6-10 and 10-6 is not as vast as some may think, a fumble recovered here, a pass broken up there, a surprising third down conversion or amazing defensive stand can all decide a close game. We should know this, we've been ghanked so many times by those circumstances we owe royalties to the first guy that ever said "Awwww **** not AGAIN!". That's where the 'tude comes in, where players staying focused pays off, where professionalism makes itself felt. The reeking albatross carcass of Vinnie Cerrato is no longer around our neck, take a breath of fresh air and try to realize that this is no longer one of those Skins teams. We ain't there yet but we're closer than you think.

And if the Skins do finish 2nd I will be completely insufferable :ols:

What do you want your QB to say? We stink?

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 07:46 AM ----------

With the Eagles in the division?

The highest the Redskins can finish is 2nd place

The highest we CAN finish is 1st. Where we actually finish may well be a different matter.

Seriously though don't nail on the Eagles to win the division before a game is played - lots can happen with injuries, chemistry and form etc. Dont forget they are putting a new defensive system in place and we all saw how that went here last season.

What do you want your QB to say? We stink?

I think there's a difference in "we stink" and "we're going to win the NFC East." But, I see where you're coming from. Honestly, I love moxy....but I didn't see it from Rex when I watched the video. Though, he did kind of have that "I know something you don't know," look about him. Honestly, as long as we play competatively this season, I don't care if we end up 6-10 or 10-6. I just want this franchise to continue to get better.

Archived