Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Which 1939 movie classic is better?

Toe Jam

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I grew up watching The Wizard of Oz so I chose Wizard of Oz. It was a tradition in my house back in the day, when it would come on CBS every year, to watch it.

Yeah, I grew up watching Wizard of Oz too. I remember it being a big deal every time it came on and the whole family would watch it together.

As I got older I started appreciating Gone with the Wind more. As a history buff I really enjoy that movie now.

Like I said, tough call ...

Okay, this is the part where everyone hates me.

I never got the appeal of Gone With the Wind. From a visual standpoint, it is a perfect movie. Outside of that, the film only seems to graze brilliance. Hell, I had a good laugh when the boys in blue were burning down Atlanta. Maybe it's because I have a great deal of disdain for the old south, but I feel like I never felt the emotions I was suppose to feel at any point in the movie.

The Wizard of Oz is a timeless classic and is a staple (or should be a staple) of any childhood.

Wizard of Oz wins it in my mind.

Though, in my mind, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is the best movie to come out of 1939.

I picked Wizard of Oz. Gone with the Wind belongs in the overrated thread.

Agreed. Like I said, it's absolutely stunning visually; but it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth and there was never a time when the actors had to take the lead in the scene (as opposed to the scenery it self) that I said to myself "this is absolutely genius).

Agreed. Like I said, it's absolutely stunning visually; but it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth and there was never a time when the actors had to take the lead in the scene (as opposed to the scenery it self) that I said to myself "this is absolutely genius).

Really? You didn't think Vivian Leigh and Clark Cable commanded screen presence? Gotta admit, I never heard that one before ...

Really? You didn't think Vivian Leigh and Clark Cable commanded screen presence? Gotta admit, I never heard that one before ...

Oh, I'm not taking anything away from their performance. Not at all. They were great.

I have a hard time explaining it. Maybe it was the lines they were given, maybe it's just the characters themselves; but something about that movie just turned me right off.

Gone With the Wind doesn't exactly move along at a frenetic pace so probably Wizard of Oz.

Everyone should see Gone With the Wind from start to finish one time. After that, I don't think anyone needs to sit through anything involving Scarlett's marriage to Frank Kennedy or anything involving Bonnie Blue.

(By the way, my latest obsession is movies made pre Hays Code? It would have been fascinating to see Gone With The Wind without the Code.

Archived