Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

M949: Study: "Zero Tolerance" Has Created a Generation of Expelled Students

China

Study: "Zero Tolerance" Has Created a Generation of Expelled Students

Report says six of ten Texas students have been expelled or suspended at least once

A stunning report today on the utter failure of so-called 'Zero Tolerance' programs in Texas public schools.

1200 WOAI news reports that after a decades long experiment in punishing students for even the smallest infraction, with policies which have allowed dopey school administrators to expel honor students for bringing aspirin or bottle openers to class, or for young deer hunters to have unloaded deer rifles in the trunk of their car in the school parking lot, the Council of State Government's Justice Center says the programs have given us a generation of expelled students, and schools which are not any safer than they were under old policies.

Michael Thompson, who headed the study, says an amazing six out of ten Texas high school students have been suspended for expelled or suspended from class at least once over the past six years.

"15 percent of students were removed from the classroom eleven or more times for disciplinary reasons," Thompson said. "So we know there are large numbers of students who are the victims of these actions not just once, but repeatedly."

Thompson says the result of 'zero tolerance' programs has been to victimize and deny education to the very students who need it the most.

"African American students and those with particularly educational disabilities experience a disproportionately higher rate of removal from the classroom for disciplinary reasons," he said.

An amazing 83% of African American students in Texas have been expelled at least once by the time they graduate, a shameful figure.

"The great majority of African American male students had at least one discretional violation, 74% of Hispanic males, and 59% of White males," he said.

Click on the link for the full article

Zero tolerance policy certainly has it's flaws, but the suspensions and expulsions are a bit overhyped in this piece

in school suspension and expulsion to guidance centers is different than what most think of with the words.

not allowing disruptions to classes is a good thing for the majority

add

both my children were expelled and suspended w/o ill effect to their tender sensibilities:silly: or education

it is quite different from when I was in school when it meant time away from school

Yes...yay for zero tolerance and expelling a kid for bringing a G.I. Joe gun to school...........:doh:

I say we handcuff every single hoodlum and drag them in front of their schools and toss them to the streets where all the other criminals can teach them how to be better criminals....or rather make them criminals when they weren't to start with.

I was fortunate enough to go to schools who pretty much ignored their zero-tolerance policies and made decisions based on the circumstances.

As it is supposed to be, these policies allow administrators to place the blame on a piece of paper for doing something they know is wrong, just so they don't have to take the heat. It's gutless.

I've never been a fan of the zero tolerance policy, although I do understand that classroom disruptors, repeat classroom disruptors at that, can be a problem, but as far as I know, based on my experiences in high school/middle school, that's the only type of disruption that could have the potential to directlyt afect my ability to concentrate in a classroom environment, but then again, I was always good at blocking out stuff like that anyways.

With that being said, I've always viewed the policy itself as a way for schools to take the pressure off of themselves, in regards to assessing a situation, coming up with a solution, and taking the appropriate course of action, which can be very difficult at times. "We don't know what to do, so lets make a zero tolerance policy so everyone can be punished equally, no matter the situation."

Like Poker Packer siad, I was also lucky eneough to go to a school where problems were handled individually, on a case by case basis, except for serious/severe penalties where the consequences were clear, and enforced.

Punish the people who actually deserved to be punished, and let kids be kids.

Zero tolerance policies are an important tool for teaching our children that the best way to deal with a problem is to avoid critical thinking and common sense at all costs.

Well put.

I was fortunate enough to go to schools who pretty much ignored their zero-tolerance policies and made decisions based on the circumstances.

Huh? How the hell is that supposed to be effective? Next you'll be telling me that at your schools, administrators were allowed to think their own thoughts.

it's only going to get worse now that we have a new witch to hunt: bullying.

I don't know if it is a new witch hunt, when kids are killing themselves because of it. With the age of social media the bullying problem is worse than ever and kids can be a lot bolder to their peers behind a computer screen and cell phone. It is not the old days of a jock putting a nerd in the locker.

TWA can you define what expulsion means in Texas? I'm missing something because expulsion in my day meant "gone forever". And with those percentages that clearly isn't what's happening here.

Unless it is for a criminal matter where you become the property of the state:silly:,it is being sent to a alt school or guidance center

Which provide more direct supervision and instruction,as well as isolation

you are removed from the school you used to attend and must attend a school more geared to your special needs(length of time in one varies)

local one info

http://www1.pasadenaisd.org/education/page/download.php?fileinfo=R3VpZGFuY2VfQ2VudGVyX1BhbXBobGV0X2VuZ2xpc2hfMDlfdXBkYXRlLnBkZjo6Oi93d3cxMC9zY2hvb2xzL3R4L3Bhc2FkZW5hL2ltYWdlcy9kb2NtZ3IvMjQyOWZpbGU5NDE0LnBkZg==

I don't know if it is a new witch hunt, when kids are killing themselves because of it. With the age of social media the bullying problem is worse than ever and kids can be a lot bolder to their peers behind a computer screen and cell phone. It is not the old days of a jock putting a nerd in the locker.

it is a new witch hunt. bullying is such an umbrella term now.

Archived