Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which is correct: "Turn the AC up" or "Turn the AC down"?

Springfield

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

:ols: You got me beat there, that's for sure. I went several summers commuting between Silver Spring and NOVA to this job with no AC in the car either, that got pretty old. Re-reading my first post I realize it came off a bit dickish, that wasn't really my intention, more just poking fun, just to clarify. I still say it's worth a try, what kind of car is it?

No problem. My reply was in jest. Sitting here, i keep remembering more stories but im not gonna bore you all.

It's a Mazda 3. Just a 2007. Problem is, while i was in school i was also delivering pizzass on the side. Just ran it into the ground. 120K miles for a 4-year old car. Failed inspection two weeks ago (rear brakes mainly). I'd LOVE to fix the A/C but thats gotta come first.

The problem is, i know jack **** about cars. I cant think of a single thing i know less about. It's just not my thing, at all. Other guys talk to me about cars and/or show me car magazines and i just smile and nod. So yeah, if anyone wants to help or has an A+ mechanic they want to recommend, im all ears

(Live in Gainesville, work in Chantilly/Dulles btw)

No problem. My reply was in jest. Sitting here, i keep remembering more stories but im not gonna bore you all.

It's a Mazda 3. Just a 2007. Problem is, while i was in school i was also delivering pizzass on the side. Just ran it into the ground. 120K miles for a 4-year old car. Failed inspection two weeks ago (rear brakes mainly). I'd LOVE to fix the A/C but thats gotta come first.

The problem is, i know jack **** about cars. I cant think of a single thing i know less about. It's just not my thing, at all. Other guys talk to me about cars and/or show me car magazines and i just smile and nod. So yeah, if anyone wants to help or has an A+ mechanic they want to recommend, im all ears

(Live in Gainesville, work in Chantilly/Dulles btw)

I've got a friend who works at a small independent shop in Silver Spring who I would highly recommend. He knows what he's doing and isn't going to screw you, their rates are also extremely reasonable. PM if you want more info.

I've got a friend who works at a small independent shop in Silver Spring who I would highly recommend. He knows what he's doing and isn't going to screw you, their rates are also extremely reasonable. PM if you want more info.

Doing so right now. Thanks buddy.

I had a great mechanic i used to see in Nokesville. About 18 to 24 months ago he retired and sold his shop to some of his employees. They ran it out of business in 5 or 6 weeks. Great mechanics, absolutely no business sense. Ever since then ive been floating from one spot or another looking for someone to take his place. If anyone else has a mechanic they want to recommened (plz remember im poor), please send me a PM.

It all depends on the usage of the acronym "AC." If you're referring to the physical Air ConditionER, then it's turn it up to make it cooler. If you're referring to the Air CondiontionING, then it's turn the AC down to make it cooler.

Yep

home down

car up

Literally, I would say it is turn down the A/C and turn up the Heat/ per temp settings.

If the A/C temp is 78 and you want it colder you would turn the thermostat down.

If the Furnace temp is 78 and you wanted it hotter you would turn it up.

But if you are talking about the actual output of either unit then it would definitely be"Crank It Up".

since the home is central air,the control is the thermostat,which ya turn down for cold(no fan speeds)

autos... if the AC is on ya turn the fan up

people with window units are just poor

You turn up or crank up machines and devices. "Crank up the TV, I can't hear it", "Turn up that music!" Turn up the air conditioner, its hot as balls in here".

Telling somebody to turn down the air conditioner would mean you wanted the air conditioner to be running at a lower capacity than before. As others said, you can turn down the thermostat, because in that case you would be decreasing the temperature in order to make something colder. The phrase turn down the thermostat would almost exclusively be used in the context of a warm house where turn up the AC would almost always be used in the context of a hot car that isn't cooling down quickly enough.

"Turn up the A/C" is asking someone to raise the temperature.

"Turn down the A/C" is asking somone to lower the temperature.

Sub in "temp" for "A/C". What you want is the temperature modified (turned up or down) not the actual AC unit.

You can also sub "thermostat" for "A/C", if what you want to raise or lower is a dial on the thermostat.

"Turn up the A/C" is asking someone to raise the temperature.

"Turn down the A/C" is asking somone to lower the temperature.

Sub in "temp" for "A/C". What you want is the temperature modified (turned up or down) not the actual AC unit.

You can also sub "thermostat" for "A/C", if what you want to raise or lower is a dial on the thermostat.

No, Turn UP the A/C means increase its output = cooler.

The more air conditioning, the cooler. Would you say, turn down the A/C full blast. No, you'd say turn the A/C UP to full blast.

---------- Post added July-13th-2011 at 09:18 AM ----------

Just asked my boss and co worker - they said it's definitely up.

If I went over to my AC in my living room and turned it up on the up arrow it would make it hotter. If I was in my car and turned it up it would make it cooler. So I guess it depends on if it's your car or your home that should be the question. I still say turn down.

Archived