Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which is correct: "Turn the AC up" or "Turn the AC down"?

Springfield

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

No, Turn UP the A/C means increase its output = cooler.

The more air conditioning, the cooler. Would you say, turn down the A/C full blast. No, you'd say turn the A/C UP to full blast.

---------- Post added July-13th-2011 at 09:18 AM ----------

Just asked my boss and co worker - they said it's definitely up.

"Turn up the AC" is just bad english. Do you want to turn up the AC unit? No, you would like to cool the room down, so you may want to turn the dial on the thermostat up to increase the amount of cool air coming into a room.

If you hit the arrow that points "up" on an electric thermostat, you would be increasing the thermostat desired temperature, this would cause an increase in house temperature. If you have an old analog thermostat with the mercury ball... you need to update your AC equipment. Those things are off by usually around six degrees, and not very reliable.

I wouldn't say "turn the AC up to full blast" at all, in trade school you are taught to be specific as not to create confusion. If you want the temperature turned up, you address the temperature. If you want a setting turned up or down, you address the setting switch you want manipulated.

Do you want to turn your radio up? I doubt it. More then likely you want to increase the volume on your radio by turning a dial "up". Sure, people say turn the radio up, but im pretty sure they mean turn the volume up

The point of my first post is, "Turn the AC up" is incomplete information. Very vague. "Turn the temperature on the thermostat down" is more informative and definative, less room for speculation, and it increases the flow of air into a room all the same.

At least, that's how it is addressed in the HVAC trade... Ive only been at it a couple years though.

No. "Turn up the AC" is just bad english. Do you want to turn up the AC unit? No, you would like to cool the room down, so you may want to turn the dial on the thermostat up to increase the amount of cool air coming into a room.

Maybe so, which is why everyone should just say turn the temperature down. But turn the A/C down means lower its output. The subject of the sentence is the air conditioning.

Maybe so, which is why everyone should just say turn the temperature down. But turn the A/C down means lower its output. The subject of the sentence is the air conditioning.

I get what you are saying, the statement just leaves a little wiggle room for confusion is all.

There is a difference between a air conditioner and a thermostat. If you are directly controlling the air conditioner you can "turn it up" which increases the cold air output. If you are dealing with a thermostat then you turn it down to make the room colder.

There is a difference between a air conditioner and a thermostat. If you are directly controlling the air conditioner you can "turn it up" which increases the cold air output. If you are dealing with a thermostat then you turn it down to make the room colder.

My Air Conditioner in my home has an UP and Down arrow. If I were to hit the up arrow it would get hotter. If I hit the down arrow it would get cooler.

That's the thermostat though. You WOULD say turn the thermostat down.

Most (if not all) AC units, even if you control it (The A/C) from the unit itself, you are interfacing with that units thermostat. Every AC unit has one. It senses ambiant temperature, and controls desired temperature. Unless you are toying with the hard wiring of an AC unit, you interface, and dictate desired temperature by manipulating a thermostat. On a car, older models just pushed out cool air, and you adjusted a variable speed switch that indicated to the blower motor ( A variable speed blower) at what speed to blow the cold air. Newer cars now have a thermostat sensing cabin temp, and lots of car AC systems now have a desired temp option, where you can control the desired temp. Either way, you are dealing with a thermostat to obtain the level of comfort you want.

As far as residential AC is concerned, they ALL have a thermostat, even the cheap window units. The thermostat is just on the unit itself on the window units. You still have to interact with the unit and tell it to cool the house to a certain temperature, and when you do you are interacting with that units thermostat.

No the window Air conditioner has an UP and DOWN. I have to push the down arrow to turn down my air to make it cooler

This could be construed in two different ways. Turn down the air temperate or turn down the air inflow. I know what you mean but for the sake of this hilarious thread I'm going to act confused.

The easiest term is make it cooler.

Archived