Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which is correct: "Turn the AC up" or "Turn the AC down"?

Springfield

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Thread worthy. Definitely thread worthy. :ols:

I think it's a valid question. Say you tell your wife to turn down the AC... then all the sudden it's 80 degrees in your house! Or you tell her to turn it up... then all the sudden it's 80 degrees in your house!

I voted "i live in a third world country" because i dont have AC in my car and im sitting in it right now (waiting for someone) and about to die.

But for real, it's turn the AC up.

My first new car was a 91 Ford Festiva, manual, no power anything, (I did have a cassette player...lol), and no A/C.

After driving it for four years, I promised myself I'd never be without A/C again. Ranks right up there among the best decisions I've ever made. But seriously, I feel your pain. Been there.

I think it's a valid question. Say you tell your wife to turn down the AC... then all the sudden it's 80 degrees in your house! Or you tell her to turn it up... then all the sudden it's 80 degrees in your house!

"All the sudden"?

Sometimes it's like im not even sure if im breathing or not. Its just brutal.

I keep telling myself im gonna fix it but then eventtually summer ends and im like **** it. It's not some petty little freeon issue. It's a belt thing--or so im told--for $800. Thats almost more than 2/3rds a paycheck. I'd rather deal with the heat.

It doesnt help my car is black.

I've had this conversation at work. I work in a temperature controlled office with the AC at full blast even in the dead of winter. At one point with the AC cranked to the max and the office turned into an icebox in January, I said "turn it down" to my boss which led to this very debate.

I understand it as saying "turn the AC up" means to increase the cold air output. Or "crank it up". You are referring to the AC unit, not the temperature.

I understand it as saying "turn the AC up" means to increase the cold air output. Or "crank it up". You are referring to the AC unit, not the temperature.

That's because you're a right-thinking American, and your boss is a terrorist. :silly:

Sometimes it's like im not even sure if im breathing or not. Its just brutal.

I keep telling myself im gonna fix it but then eventtually summer ends and im like **** it. It's not some petty little freeon issue. It's a belt thing--or so im told--for $800. Thats almost more than 2/3rds a paycheck. I'd rather deal with the heat.

It doesnt help my car is black.

Meh, I've got that beat, no AC at my work, working on hot engines all day. Fwiw, as far as I know you are a man who still has two hands. Sounds like it's the AC compressor if it's a belt issue because that's the only component of the AC system that deals with a belt. Spend $25 on some jack stands, maybe $100 on a basic tool kit from sears. Buy an AC compressor from a junkyard (should be less than $50. Use google (or a crappy $12 Haynes manual, which you can also find online in PDF files, often) and follow instructions for replacing the compressor. Read them carefully several times before you get started. When you're done pay a shop $50-$100 to recharge it. You'll be out a few hundred, you'll learn a lot and develop a new skill, gain a great sense of accomplishment when finished and maybe, just maybe, feel like an old fashioned man. ;) At the end of the day it's just nuts and bolts. People are so scared to try and fix anything for themselves these days, throw it away and buy a new one instead.

Afterthought, if you go the junkyard route go to a u-pull-it yard. Not only will the part be cheaper you'll get to practice doing the job once on a car it's ok to mangle :ols:. There's an awesome u-pull-it yard in Jessup, MD called crazy rays. Seriously, look into it, give it a try.

I'll respond to your "do it yourself" part later when i get home.

But here, you want something hot? Fort Hood, Texas baby. Close enough to the desert to be hot as ****, far enough away to be humid as hell. The devils ashole. Just horrible. I remember about a month after i got there the base commander retired. So they throw this big ceremony for him. A bunch of dignitaries attend. In the middle of the summer. 110 to 115 degrees. As a noob i was assigned to be part of that ****. We had to dress up in full gear and stand there for two hours. I couldnt see ****. My eyes were literally underwater in sweat. And it burned so bad. One 1SGT at the beginning was. Screaming at us not to move. I look over about halfway through and hes fainted. People started dropping like they were hit by snipers. No way, in my older, less fit age could i survive that ****.

Other fond memories include no AC at work or in the barracks for weeks at a time. And, my personal fav, no hot water for 5 months. Me and my buddy y ended up breaking into reservists baracks (soft ass *******--this was in the lead up to Iraq and the place was absolutely packed) just to take a hot shower. I can go on and on. Oh our Cold War-era original baracks plumbing exploding and covering the bottom floor in two inches of ****. And having to put on our hazat suits--with gasmask--to clean it.

So, what else you got?

:ols: You got me beat there, that's for sure. I went several summers commuting between Silver Spring and NOVA to this job with no AC in the car either, that got pretty old. Re-reading my first post I realize it came off a bit dickish, that wasn't really my intention, more just poking fun, just to clarify. I still say it's worth a try, what kind of car is it?

The funny thing about this thread is that you are not the only one who thinks this. I was laying in bed the other night and posed myself the same question. I came to the conclusion that Turn the AC down means to cool down. Turn AC up though means heat up. That is my thoughts.

Archived