Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Camping with a 1 year old. Good idea bad idea?

Elessar78

So you are sleeping in the tent and somehow the baby gets out and crawls away.

When my kids were little, my biggest fear was someone snatching them, this would compound that by 10. No way in hell I would do this with a one year old.

It would be hard for the child to get out and crawl away in the middle of the night unless you left your tent unzipped. I mean, the fear I would have is not that the baby would crawl away unless you completely left the child unattended.

I'm kind of surprised that the mother would even want to take this on. This is the child or your two friends? Camping is work. It's not sitting around, doing nothing. I'm more then just a little surprised that the mother would even want to do a two or three day hike/camp with a 1 year old child.

I think this would be manageable if you were camping somewhere that was easy to do it. Like a state park with campgrounds where there are restrooms and running water nearby. Then it would be easy to manage all the issues that could arise with a 1 year old. However if you have to hike to a place where these amenities are not readily available, and you have to carry all this stuff for miles and not have it in your car a few feet away, things get more complicated and more dangerous.

Personally, I'd lean against doing this, but if you feel you can handle it then don't let me dissuade you.

Count me in as thinking this is a recipe for disaster. A 2hr hike is not something you want to do multiple trips of. Can it be done? Probably. But there are a lot of possibilities for something bad to happen because you cannot control the environment especially with someone that young.

Count me in as thinking this is a recipe for disaster. A 2hr hike is not something you want to do multiple trips of. Can it be done? Probably. But there are a lot of possibilities for something bad to happen because you cannot control the environment especially with someone that young.

You only carry the kid in once. Then somebody stays with the kid (even multiple can stay behind because there is another couple), and the other person(s) hikes back out. If is 2 hours in with supplies/kid, it should be even less w/o. If your in shape and you get an early start, you should be able to make at least 2 trips.

You only carry the kid in once. Then somebody stays with the kid (even multiple can stay behind because there is another couple), and the other person(s) hikes back out. If is 2 hours in with supplies/kid, it should be even less w/o. If your in shape and you get an early start, you should be able to make at least 2 trips.

Yeah so that's 4 hours for the roundtrip. Also remember everything you pack in you gotta pack out so that is a lot more trips especially when leaving for only 2 days? Just doesn't seem worth it. Like I said do able and I was an Eagle scout so def love some camping but ... with a 1 year old ... seems it would take a ton of the joy out of it. I'd wait until they were older or car came something that doesn't involve hiking in and out.

Of course...almost anything can be done. But you have to start asking yourself when this crosses over from being fun to being a PITA.

Yeah so that's 4 hours for the roundtrip. Also remember everything you pack in you gotta pack out so that is a lot more trips especially when leaving for only 2 days? Just doesn't seem worth it. Like I said do able and I was an Eagle scout so def love some camping but ... with a 1 year old ... seems it would take a ton of the joy out of it. I'd wait until they were older or car came something that doesn't involve hiking in and out.

1 year olds tend to take a ton of joy out of everything you enjoyed before they came to be. When you have a 1 year old, you enjoy two things. The one year old and sleep.

I can certainly understand people that are saying not to do it. It isn't an easy thing to do, but if the trip is planned right and you are up to it, it can be done.

The big thing is he's got to not underestimate the trip. It is easy to underestimate how much (in terms of actuall stuff and the actual weight) has to be carried in and how hard it is going to be. It is very easy to get in and find out that you didn't bring stuff you need or enough of certain stuff or start hiking and realize you aren't in shape to carry everything that needs to be carried over the whole distance in a reasonable amount of time.

Nope, No Way, No How...

This will end badly, guaranteed.

I took a 3 year old camping once, I repeat, once.

From experience, you will spend more time and energy on the kid than anything else.

Take a normal day at home with the little ball of joy and compound that with no running water, no plumbing, no electricity, bugs, weather, elements, etc,...

I wish you the best if you decide to undertake this experience. Please keep us posted, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

i vote for a bad idea. all i can say is i wouldn't do it. i would be so freaked out the entire trip and constantly having to check on the baby and make sure he/she is ok. it would stress me out to the point of ruining the entire trip. i don't have a kid so this is all hypothetical.

Nope, No Way, No How...

This will end badly, guaranteed.

I took a 3 year old camping once, I repeat, once.

From experience, you will spend more time and energy on the kid than anything else.

Take a normal day at home with the little ball of joy and compound that with no running water, no plumbing, no electricity, bugs, weather, elements, etc,...

I wish you the best if you decide to undertake this experience. Please keep us posted, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

:ols:

Yep. It's gonna suck.

Wife wants to go camping this weekend with another couple and their baby. Other couple is way more outdoors-y than us. This isn't "RV" camping. It's pack in/pack out camping where we hike to a campsite and spend two nights in the wilderness.

I like the outdoors but feel it's premature to do a trip like this considering we've never had the baby out in this kind of situation before. My vote is to do a trial run in a more controlled environment.

Also don't know why this camping trip has to be now; the hottest, buggiest time of year. This is a regional/angler thing but our trip coincides with the green drake mayfly hatch, so it's not just average buggy but swarming buggy.

I feel I'm always the rational one, but I'm open to any other experiences/opinions on the matter.

If the other couple was really outdoors-y, then they would have already told you to leave the kid at home.

I made her read this thread. Thanks everyone. The compromise has been to change venue to a more reasonable camp ground. No hike to/from camp site, we can park right next to our camp site. Hospital is 18 minutes away. It's going to be camping-lite but I think this is the more sound way to do it.

Personally,much ado about nothing. Of course,taking kids out that age,(and sometimes even younger),is very much common place out here so maybe I just take it for granted. Aside from the gear,(which most first timers tend to bring too much of),It would be okay.

Archived