Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Camping with a 1 year old. Good idea bad idea?

Elessar78

As someone who loves to go camping with a 2 year old and 4 year old (and have done it all the way through) I would say no way. Way too many variables for that kind of camping trip to be undertaken...do something nice & easy & you'll have fun. Unless you have a super-chill baby, that sounds like it could get awfully rough; especially with the bugs.

Haha; just saw that it was already done. Glad it went well...this was more along the lines of what I was thinking. For whatever reason, from your initial post, I was picturing a long, muddy walk into a swamp.

This made me LOL. Can't wait to have kids...

Yup. Plus since we planned on going swimming at the other end, we put a swim diaper on her. Swim diapers are pull ons and not ones you tab around the sides. Pulling them off would have made the problem worse, so we had to cut them off her. Nothing comforting like using a trail knife to cut off a diaper off a squirming baby. Good thing we packed a change of clothing.

We were near a "main" road at this point, so there's one of those mailboxes that hikers put notes in for the rangers. We "joked" about putting the dirty diaper in there, but instead I packed it over the mountain. Add another one to the list of stories when boys come a-callin' one day.

Yup. Plus since we planned on going swimming at the other end, we put a swim diaper on her. Swim diapers are pull ons and not ones you tab around the sides. Pulling them off would have made the problem worse, so we had to cut them off her. Nothing comforting like using a trail knife to cut off a diaper off a squirming baby. Good thing we packed a change of clothing.

NEVER put swimmer diapers on until you are ready to physically put them in the water. They aren't really designed to hold in liquid well. All of the ones we have used, have "tear" away sides that rip apart pretty easily.

Glad the trip went well.

But I have to ask, did you snap the rod landing a fish or did you do something like step on the rod, lol.

Smacked it on a low-hanging branch that was over the stream. It was dark and he just caught the branch while whipping the rod forward (I think). We didn't see it because we had our headlamps trained on the stream.

So would you go back to this state park? How was the fishing, was it crowded, etc.

Yes! It's about an hour south east of State College, PA (Penn State), it's only about 30 miles but 15 of those are on this gravel access road. It's Bald Eagle/Poe Valley/Poe Paddy State parks. The two "Poe"'s are engulfed by the larger Bald Eagle state park. There are multiple streams that run through the park so there are a lot of diff. challenges. You can move up and down stream and the nature of stream changes. It wasn't crowded at all, I think we only saw one other fly fisher on each day. The steam is a bit challenging because it's smaller and shaded so the stones are mossy and slick. Penn Creek has 30-inch trout, but we didn't land anything that big. I got bites but didn't hook anything all weekend (boo). My buddies who got up there on Thursday said there was only one other camper in the park that they saw. Weekends were more crowded but I didn't feel hemmed in.

Archived