Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Camping with a 1 year old. Good idea bad idea?

Elessar78

Wife wants to go camping this weekend with another couple and their baby. Other couple is way more outdoors-y than us. This isn't "RV" camping. It's pack in/pack out camping where we hike to a campsite and spend two nights in the wilderness.

I like the outdoors but feel it's premature to do a trip like this considering we've never had the baby out in this kind of situation before. My vote is to do a trial run in a more controlled environment.

Also don't know why this camping trip has to be now; the hottest, buggiest time of year. This is a regional/angler thing but our trip coincides with the green drake mayfly hatch, so it's not just average buggy but swarming buggy.

I feel I'm always the rational one, but I'm open to any other experiences/opinions on the matter.

My dad thought it was a good idea to take me and my siblings on a safari in Kenya when we were young. By the end of 2 weeks he seriously considered leaving us to the lions.

Just remember with young kids you probably have to haul a bunch of heavy crap that you wouldn't normally bring to a camping trip.

There's also the issue of making sure you have everything and enough of it. Presumably, if the other couple has experience with this, then they'd be able to help. I have a 2 and a 5 year old and we are going camping in two weeks, but I'll spend this weekend going through our supplies and making sure we have everything we'll need and enough of it.

This would be extremely difficult for you and the child. As well as your pack full of supplies, you will be carrying your child. Depending on where this hike takes you, you could be out of cell phone range and God forbid something happen like a snake bite or a fall.

I do a lot of camping with a friend of mine and we are extremely cautious if he decides to bring his 10 year old. The kid loves the outdoors but in the heat and depending on what trail we take, the crying about leaving begins quickly.

I hated packing up our car with diapers, formula, bottles, etc. so I can't imagine what it would be like to have to carry all of that stuff. I know I'm coming across as negative, but my wife and I liked keeping our kids on a comfortable schedule at that age. We have years ahead of us to get back to doing the types of things we like to do for ourselves.

Hiking in/out camping with a one year old would equal fail. I wouldnt do this, and just being honest, I wouldn't want to be in the same party as you guys with the one year old. Im not trying to be rude, just honest in this situation. Thats just me. If it was car camping, or RV camping, sure, lets do it, bring the neighbors kids, but hiking to a camp spot(especially if its over a mile from the car, and there is no receptical for dirty diapers), setting up tents, and roughing it for two nights with a one year old? Will you guys be hiking in enough water for everyone and the baby, or will you take a water purifier? You realize the baby wont be bathed for the two nights you are out there? What kind of food will you be bringing for the baby? These are all just questions that pop up off the top of my head.

If you do this adventure, good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

Also, where would you be hiking/camping? If you have them strapped to you like a papoose, and you lose your footing (entirely possible) that kid gets seriously hurt.

How far do you have to hike and how good of shape are you in? Doing something like that if you aren't in shape is hard with a 1 year old. They get heavy quickly, and you have to haul along a lot of junk.

Not sure of the distance from parking to campsite. But we've put the baby in a hiking/carrying pack for a 2-hour hilly terrain hike before. So I don't think it will be more than that. I know I'm worried about all the equipment we'll have to carry. A travel crib is not very portable. I don't even know if it's practically possible. One backpack will be a kid carrier pack so it can't hold much. One of us will have to carry a three-person tent and the other supplies AND the travel crib?

First rule of camping. Never put yourself our anybody in your part in a position that constitutes a safety hazard. You can not bring a 1 year old child on a camping trip (a real camping trip) and account for their safety. Any number of things can happen while you are camping. You can't account for temperatures. I assume you are tent camping, if this is the case, it could easily reach extreme temps one way or the other and you have no ability to adjust these temps for the child. That baby could easily get sick. If you are hiking, you only have a limited amount of water you can take with you. Assuming this, both the mother and the baby are going to need more then you would typically pack in. Same goes for food and basic necessities. The rule for hiking is that each person carries their own load. You can't do this if the mother has to care for the child. You basically have two extra packs that you have to account for. If somebody is injured, and that does happen when you are hiking, it may become necessary to move quickly in order to get help. Depending on where you are hiking/camping, you can't do that with a 1 year old child and you can't leave the child behind. Not an ideal situation. That baby is pretty young. You will not be able to prevent that child from getting bitten by all sorts of insects. That child is not going to be comfortable. That means the baby will be irritable. That means crying and that means drawing attention to yourselves by everything in your area, not to mention the fact that this babies immune system is not fully developed. It is probably not a good idea to subject that child to this kind of situation. I see a lot of risk and very little value involved in a situation such as this.

JMO

This is anecdotal of course,but I see a lot of this out here. Many parents going on hikes with the little ones and some clearly doing the pack in/pack out thing. And on trails that are up to 15 miles round trip. Biggest thing is what has been already stated. The equipment.

Not sure of the distance from parking to campsite. But we've put the baby in a hiking/carrying pack for a 2-hour hilly terrain hike before. So I don't think it will be more than that. I know I'm worried about all the equipment we'll have to carry. A travel crib is not very portable. I don't even know if it's practically possible. One backpack will be a kid carrier pack so it can't hold much. One of us will have to carry a three-person tent and the other supplies AND the travel crib?

You will have to take pictures of this....... and yeah, you are carrying the three person tent, tent poles, diapers, sleeping bags, enough water for you, your wife and child, box of baby wipes, food, camp stove, probably baby toys, blanket, and a travel crib,(am I forgetting anything) while she carries the baby, and hopefully some Leki poles for stability on rocky/dirt trails of varying inclines.

Well, if it under a 2 hr. hike, you could make multiple trips to get everything in if needed. Realistically, though, the person carrying the kid has to carry more than the kid. I've carried the kid on my back and then worn a backpack on my front with supplies. I never brought a travel crib. We've put the kid on a blow up raft, like what you'd see at the beach, to sleep on. You're in the same tent with it, right? The tent zips up, right? No real major reason to confine them in a crib.

The other thing, if it is 2 hrs and again depending on what kind of shape you are in is you could leave early if the first night is a disasater.

You have to find out the distance and terrain though.

So you are sleeping in the tent and somehow the baby gets out and crawls away.

When my kids were little, my biggest fear was someone snatching them, this would compound that by 10. No way in hell I would do this with a one year old.

The average age of abducted children is just over 11. Infants being abducted by non-family members is EXTREMELY rare.

Archived