Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Women's World Cup Thread : Congrats Japan.

ixcuincle

Just watching the extra time again. And there are TWO challenges in the Brazillian box in the 2nd OT period that were similar to what the ref red carded Beuhler and gave Brazil the PK for earlier.

Ughh. And the time wasting crap by Brazil is classic now that I know it ultimately lead to enough time being added on to let the US tie it up. Suck it Divers!

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 07:53 PM ----------

Also, in an interview, Rapinoe said she was afraid her cross would be short. But she had no less than 5 similar crosses plus corners in the OT alone. Enough to get a good feel of what it would take.

The run from the backline by the US is a thing of beauty.

I just can't stop looking at the goal. The look on Rapinoe's face as she striking the ball for the cross just shows you how much desperation and hope was behind it. It sends chills down my spine. Still speechless.

I especially like looking at the stands just as the ball goes in the net. Looks like almost the entire stadium stood up and cheered at once. I get the same chills watching that goal that I did watching Landon's goal vs Algeria.

The biggest job the coach needs to do is to get the ladies over the Brazil win and focused on beating France - not an easy assignment. If they stay focused, I don't see any of the remaining other 3 teams beating the US.

I especially like looking at the stands just as the ball goes in the net. Looks like almost the entire stadium stood up and cheered at once. I get the same chills watching that goal that I did watching Landon's goal vs Algeria.

Both incredibly awful defensive lapses, but Wambach's goal was way more impressive in my opinion. She HAD to make it or they were out. Men still had extra time, and Algeria men < Brazil Women (wasn't that first goal scored against them in WC?). A header with GK and Defender inches away from the ball in her line of sight, being able to put it inside the post. Landon's finish should never have been required (4v2 attacking numbers up and he has to put a rebound back in?), if Altidore finishes the beautiful pass from Donovan.

But...to relive the moment..a fan's view. Must have volume, especially for the 0:29-0:30 mark. It is incredible.

The biggest job the coach needs to do is to get the ladies over the Brazil win and focused on beating France - not an easy assignment. If they stay focused, I don't see any of the remaining other 3 teams beating the US.

That is a challenge, but I think the most difficult part is just getting the "older" ladies recovered physically (Abby, Rampone, Boxx). No way the leadership on this team will allow them lapse mentally. Not saying they'll win for sure, but it won't be because they're still celebrating.

It's funny. I credit Abby, Brianna and Marta with giving my daughter (9y/o) a passion for the game. She met Brianna & Abby and spent some time with them a couple of years ago, and she watched Marta play the Freedom 2x. She definitely was conflicted watching the game on Sunday, as she, like most soccer fans, loves to watch Marta play. But, she loves Abby more (especially now!) as she prides herself on not letting someone get the ball from her when she has it.

I was highly irritated listening to 980 and 106.7 yesterday (lunchtime) as I was picking both of my kids up from basketball camp. They were mocking the women's game, saying "how could anyone say that was a great game" and "some of the girls have stripper names", etc. Understand that the womens soccer, or WWC might not be for everyone, but why be butt holes about it? Especially since none of those talk show guys could even walk for 120 minutes in an air-conditioned gym, much less play soccer for that amount of time. Maybe I would have been the same before I had a daughter that loves the sport, or before I coached girls, but I doubt it.

PF

Men still had extra time, and Algeria men < Brazil Women (wasn't that first goal scored against them in WC?).

But...to relive the moment..a fan's view. Must have volume, especially for the 0:29-0:30 mark. It is incredible.

Definitely a great video, though part of the reason for that is the men did not have extra time. Since it was a group game, if they didnt score there they tie and dont make it to the knockout stage.

Definitely a great video, though part of the reason for that is the men did not have extra time. Since it was a group game, if they didnt score there they tie and dont make it to the knockout stage.

You are right - my memory sucks. I was on vacation at OBX, and about 20 of us were watching it in the beach house, after several beers (even though I think it was early afternoon), so I can't be held accountable for remembering!

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/columnist/darke_ian/id/6761070/2011-women-world-cup-us-contain-emotions-french-attack-ian-darke-soccer

But the biggest job for U.S. coach Pia Sundhage may be to get her players back down after the emotional triumph over Brazil. For all those players, Sunday's triumph would have been the greatest game of their lives. Suddenly they are living in the glare of publicity -- something that proved too much for host Germany. And now the Americans have an even more important game, and I am sure that is exactly the message the coaching staff has been hammering home.

The big selection decision is how to replace central defender Rachel Buehler, who is suspended after her red card in Dresden. One solution would have been to move left back Amy LePielbet into her old position in the center and drafting in the experienced Stephanie Cox on the left. But Sundhage has decided to give Becky Sauerbrunn her World Cup debut in the center of defense.

2 more

Watch from work or wherever at noon today

So I have a hour for lunch at my work. I have a sports/restaurant next door. What time should I go to lunch? 12,1230, near 1?

I would go like at 1:00. Figure 1st half will be over 1245, 15-20mins for halftime, and second half will start at 1:00. Hopefully the US will be up 3-0 by then (we can dream), you can watch all of second half, and have a celebration pint after the game.

Archived