Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Women's World Cup Thread : Congrats Japan.

ixcuincle

Watching the replay I don't think that "foul" which resulted in a red card for us and a PK for Brasil was worthy of being called. However in that moment I can't fault the ref as it happened pretty fast and did look a bit like Marta was getting yanked down out of the air. Whatever, I've not liked her since she took out the Swedish chick en route to her "magnificent" goal in group play.

I totally forgot about that "goal" as well. That was total b.s. She grabbed her shoulder and pulled her down (another no-call by the AR who was RIGHT THERE!). Think that was Equatorial Guinea though. Same team that backpassed a slow roller to their GK from 10' away while under major pressure.

In response to the time-wasting, I was happy to see the ref give Brasil a yellow for it late in the game. However, refs have to do a better job of making "injured" players wait to come back on the field. If you are carted off on a stretcher you should have to wait 1 minute at least to come back on.

I get your point, but I believe the issue is once the trainers have to come on the field, the player has to be taken off, even if they are fine. If a player gets drilled in the midsection like the one legitimate injured Brazilian player did, and gets the wind majorly knocked out of him/her, why should they be penalized further? It's a sports ethics issue, and unfortunately it happens. I think it was a majorly stupid think for Brazil to do, because it let US players get their breath, talk and get focused mentally.

The best FIFA can do is continue to do what they can to discourage diving, give the player a yellow card if they see that player dive. Now if they don't see the player dive , right now they don't review the play later and assess a yellow card. I think they should start doing this.

Now concerning MArtha and the Brazilians with the ref. The ref made the call for the PK based on a split second decision, it was close 50-50 with the defender tugging on Martha's jersey as they both fell. I would have called play on, but the ref gave it to the Brazilians and denying a goal scorer a chance to score illegally in the box is always an automatic red card. So I was fine with the red card there.

Now on the PK, Hope did move forward slighlty then left before the player took the kick. You CANNOT move before the player kicks the ball, that is the FIFA LAW. ALso there was a US player in the box before the kick and the assistant ref also raised her flag. But trying to explain that to some people on this board was kinda like talking to a brick wall. Also the play where the US player got a yellow and still got a free kick was beacuase she went cleats up after the ref had blown her whistle, so she got a yellow but we still kept possession. But with everyone so freaking emotional even the damn broadcaster Ian Drake or whatever the hell his name is, failed to analyze and explain this.

All in all, thank God we won, despite all the adversity, but the booing of Martha pissed me off so much. All because she scored 2 goals against the US, and complained to the ref even though she got a yellow card for it. But that's all done now and we now move on to France who are quite technical in their own right but maybe not as conditioned as the US players are. That should be a good game on Wednesday.

It'd be easier of soccer players just got out of the mentality of acting like candy asses.

It's hard to watch that crap after watching Steven Stamkos take a slapshot to the nose, get treated and come back in like it's no big deal or Duncan Keith take a bomb to the mouth and come in with missing teeth.

FIFA has allowed this bull**** to go on. It's one thing to play conservatively, which is being smart; faking injury to waste time is unsportsmanlike.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 09:25 AM ----------

Yup, they said that on the replay of the 1999 Final yesterday.

Let's be real though, there are plenty of soccer players who play with injuries. They are not all diving candy asses. A DCU player went almost an entire half this weekend after getting kicked in the face w/in 1 minute of entering the game. Come to find out later that he had a concussion.

I think what yesterday illustrated was that it's not just American fans who are tired of the diving and gamesmanship. As poor as the ref was yesterday, I'm glad she cautioned the faker at the end after she ran back onto the field. I've never seen a card given for the same thing in the men's game.

I wish our foreign skins fans would chime in on this, but is the "last second victory" as big a part of other cultures as it is in America? I really do think that there's something in our collective psychology that plays it out until the end and mythologizes the last second come from behind victory. I've been watching soccer closely for two decades now, and I have to say that the last second/extra time win in soccer seems to be a relatively new phenomenon. I believe it's the better conditioning of athletes around the world that's contributing to that. In past decades the athletes were not as well conditioned as the ones now. FIFA did a study and the vast majority of goals in recent history are scored in the last ten minutes of each half.

I honestly think that diving is more prevelant in south and central america than it is in Europe. While there are european countries that show little gamesmanship (Italy), I think for the most part it is pretty clean. However, I did get frustrated watching Iniesta flopping all over the place in the finals last summer. It should be interesting watching Eurocup next summer compared to Copa America this year. I think its going to be night and day on terms of diving.

Ugh kilerbee -

The point is, players take a small early step into the box all, the, time and refs let it go. The anger was that now they choose to enforce it strictly as hell.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 09:42 AM ----------

Let's be real though, there are plenty of soccer players who play with injuries. They are not all diving candy asses. A DCU player went almost an entire half this weekend after getting kicked in the face w/in 1 minute of entering the game. Come to find out later that he had a concussion.

Well, not all players dive, in fact that's one reason to watch MLS over the big leagues. But a Paul Kariya in soccer is hard to find.

Ugh kilerbee -

The point is, players take a small early step into the box all, the, time and refs let it go. The anger was that now they choose to enforce it strictly as hell.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 09:42 AM ----------

Well, not all players dive, in fact that's one reason to watch MLS over the big leagues. But a Paul Kariya in soccer is hard to find.

Well, I agree with that but it's kinda silly to get mad if a ref decides to enfrce the rules. It might suck but what you gonna do.

It'd be easier of soccer players just got out of the mentality of acting like candy asses.

It's hard to watch that crap after watching Steven Stamkos take a slapshot to the nose, get treated and come back in like it's no big deal or Duncan Keith take a bomb to the mouth and come in with missing teeth.

FIFA has allowed this bull**** to go on. It's one thing to play conservatively, which is being smart; faking injury to waste time is unsportsmanlike.

I don't necessarily think they were faking injury to waste time. More like to catch their breath. Every sport has their bordeline sportsmanship issues IMO. Stealing signals, defense faking injury in hurry-up offense, NBA stars getting more calls than regular players, and hockey players take dives as well. It's part of the awful mantra of: "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying".

Now on the PK, Hope did move forward slighlty then left before the player took the kick. You CANNOT move before the player kicks the ball, that is the FIFA LAW. ALso there was a US player in the box before the kick and the assistant ref also raised her flag. But trying to explain that to some people on this board was kinda likie talking to a brick wall. ALso the play where the US player got a yellow and still got a free kick was beacuase she went cleats up after the ref had blown her whistle, so she got a yellow but we still kept possession. But with everyone so freaking emotional even the damn broadcaster Ian Drake or whatever the hell his name is, failed to analyze and explain this.

All in all, thank God we won, despite all the adversity, but the booing of Martha pissed me off so much. All because she scored 2 goals against the US, and complained to the ref even though she got a yellow card for it. But that's all done now and we now move on to France who are quite technical in their own right but maybe not as conditioned as the US players are. That should be a good game on Wednesday.

I don't know what game you were watching, but in my opinion, Hope didn't move forward at all. That's not even the reason the penalty was retaken. I think the shot of the US player coming into the box early is a lot mroe clear compared to the "infraction" on Solo.

Anyways, did anyone else think that Ian Darkes call of Abbys goal sound EXACTLY like his call for donovons goal last summer? "Oh can you believe this?!"

I mena I am elated we won that game, but people like Beans and cmpany pissed me the hell of by calling me names an **** because they disagreed wth my POV. The ref called it tight, her job sucked and she made a couple of questionable calls, but some people should try to be objective ans stop being so freaking emotional about stuff.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 09:49 AM ----------

I don't know what game you were watching, but in my opinion, Hope didn't move forward at all. That's not even the reason the penalty was retaken. I think the shot of the US player coming into the box early is a lot mroe clear compared to the "infraction" on Solo.

Anyways, did anyone else think that Ian Darkes call of Abbys goal sound EXACTLY like his call for donovons goal last summer? "Oh can you believe this?!"

I don't know what YOU were watching but Hope did move before the ball was kicked and you can't do that, Also the player in the box before the kick , she could have called either one, but I believe she made a tight call on Hope and the assistant made the tight call on the US player in the box, tight calls all around but I am glad we won that game.

I don't necessarily think they were faking injury to waste time. More like to catch their breath. Every sport has their bordeline sportsmanship issues IMO. Stealing signals, defense faking injury in hurry-up offense, NBA stars getting more calls than regular players, and hockey players take dives as well. It's part of the awful mantra of: "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying".

Erika clearly tried to waste time. I mean, let's be real. And karma came back and said "U Mad." And we won, and she probably cried after. She knew what she did and so did the ref and that's why she got yellow carded. And that's what happens when you try to cheat your way to victory. U-S-A!

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 09:51 AM ----------

The PK call is whatever because they called the Brazil goalie for moving also and hers was WAYY more blatant. She moved up like 20 feet.

The guy is ****ing annoying especially during the Nigeria -Germany game where every foul the Nigerian players committed on the German player deserved a yellow card, he was so obviously pulling for Germany it was ridiculous. He needs to just gives us play by play and stop baltantly rooting for teams. It's annoying.

Now concerning MArtha and the Brazilians with the ref. The ref made the call for the PK based on a split second decision, it was close 50-50 with the defender tugging on Martha's jersey as they both fell. I would have called play on, but the ref gave it to the Brazilians and denying a goal scorer a chance to score illegally in the box is always an automatic red card. So I was fine with the red card there.

Now on the PK, Hope did move forward slighlty then left before the player took the kick. You CANNOT move before the player kicks the ball, that is the FIFA LAW. ALso there was a US player in the box before the kick and the assistant ref also raised her flag. But trying to explain that to some people on this board was kinda like talking to a brick wall. Also the play where the US player got a yellow and still got a free kick was beacuase she went cleats up after the ref had blown her whistle, so she got a yellow but we still kept possession. But with everyone so freaking emotional even the damn broadcaster Ian Drake or whatever the hell his name is, failed to analyze and explain this.

If the call was against Hope, that should be right up there with giving Colorado a 5th down. In order for her to be considered "out" both of her feet have to be off her line before the ball is kicked, which just didn't happen. NO referee worth their salt would call that. The call was made by the referee on the US defender who jumped in early. WRT red card, I'm fine with her calling it, but then she didn't call it consistently when US players were taken down in the box in extra time.

Doesn't matter now, but that crew was horrible, with the team-side AR being the worst IMO.

I believe under FIFA Law a goalie can move side to side on their line. They can not come off the line but unless I'm mistaken they can slide on the line. That is irrelevant anyway cuz Hope didn't move. As far as the player moving for the USA. Give me a break. It happens all the time and it didn't affect the kick at all. There would be 50 trillions rekicks if it was actually enforced.

I sounds to me Killerbee refuses to hold the refs responsible for their actions. They were completely inconsistent. They ignored atleast two calls that should have been PKs for the USA in the second half under the refs ticky tack standards. By normal standards, no, by the refs standards,yes. Yeah, blaming refs gets ridic sometimes but clearly she was bias. It wasn't questionable calls. It was horrible calls that directly affected the USAs ability to win and allowing advantages for Brazil to win. I'm thinking right now she's dangling by her ankles upside as a group of guys demand their money.

I mena I am elated we won that game, but people like Beans and cmpany pissed me the hell of by calling me names an **** because they disagreed wth my POV. The ref called it tight, her job sucked and she made a couple of questionable calls, but some people should try to be objective ans stop being so freaking emotional about stuff.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 09:49 AM ----------

I don't know what YOU were watching but Hope did move before the ball was kicked and you can't do that, Also the player in the box before the kick , she could have called either one, but I believe she made a tight call on Hope and the assistant made the tight call on the US player in the box, tight calls all around but I am glad we won that game.

Yes, she does move. But she moves laterally. As a goalie, you are allowed to move side to side prior to the kick, but you are not able to step forward. Hope took one step to the side before the kick was taken, but she also stayed on her line. That is legal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ixPzsrsRQ

In the PK shootout, the Brazilian goalie took a step forward before the kick, thus, the kick was retaken. And honestly, I think that goalie could have been called on almost every kick for this, but it was irrelevant since the US barried their kicks.

She did move, and she is allowed to. Just not forward.

Law 14: "The defending goalkeeper: must remain on his goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked"

I do agree with you. Uneducated people saw the yellow card for Hope, and incorrectly assumed it was for coming of her line, which is not a cautionable offense. Call was against the defender. BS, but that was the call made.

Not sure anyone noticed, but even if Krieger missed, she would have been allowed to retake the final kick as the GK was way off her line before that kick, as well.

Law 14: "The defending goalkeeper: must remain on his goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked"

I do agree with you. Uneducated people saw the yellow card for Hope, and incorrectly assumed it was for coming of her line, which is not a cautionable offense. Call was against the defender. BS, but that was the call made.

Not sure anyone noticed, but even if Krieger would have been allowed to retake the final kick as the GK was way off her line before that kick, as well.

Yea, i did see that. The Brazilian goalie did it on almost every PK. I would have been interesting to see if the ref made the call again if the US missed any of their kicks. She was absolute garbage. Poorly misplayed both goals in regulation and ET, and took a step forward on most, if not all PK's and still couldn't make a save.

Not sure anyone noticed, but even if Krieger missed, she would have been allowed to retake the final kick as the GK was way off her line before that kick, as well.

Pointy she moved a little forward then to the left, I mean I agree it was a tight call, but IMHO the RIGHT call was made, but any regular REF probably won't make that call. Just too tight to make. You need to see the side view. You won''t see nothing from that angled view.

Also I do hold the ref accountable for making tight calls, but I am not going to demonize her

I think it's hysterical that pages were wasted arguing about why Solo was yellow carded and whether she moved forward. When in reality, that wasnt the call at all.

She DIDNT move forward, and she DIDNT get carded for it. She moved laterally, which is allowed. Fifa Law 14 states that the goalkeeper cannot move FORWARD. She can move side to side and can move within his/her body width without making a specific step forward. On a side note, China was a bit peeved in 1999 claiming that Brianna Scurry moved forward. The ref at that time said after the game that she had stayed within her body's width, therefor it was allowed.

Solo was carded for dissent. The rekick was ordered because of the infringement into the box. Technically correct, but wow. The card itself, I cant fault the ref. Happening that fast and from behind, it looks like Buehler takes her down. It was side to side and a legit play, but from where the ref stood, it looked bad.

The second Marta goal was even worse. Completely offsides, but Boxx needs to play it through. Put your ****ing arm down. No side judge in history has ever given a call based on that.

The ref missed a bunch of other ticky tack stuff. Including a handball on Lloyd that should have been a yellow (2nd, meaning a red) and a straight red intentional handball by Brazil in Extra Time right outside the box. And right in front of the linesman.

I think I like this US team more than the 99 team. They were the first wave, but were this peppy bunch of cuties beating up on teams that mostly didnt have any womens youth programs built yet.

THIS Us side is more physical, more athletic. Im pretty sure than in addition to being hot, Hope Solo would knife you in a bar if you looked at her wrong.

I like that.

This team has more competition. The 99 team put women's soccer on the map however. Hamm especially.

Also, for those of you saying it was the U.S. player entering early...that's not what FIFA explained...

Shortly following the post-match news conferences, soccer's often bumbling governing body, FIFA, said it was because Solo went forward before the ball was struck. Replays didn't really support the argument.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6754797/women-world-cup-uscaptured-lightning-bottle-brazil-soccer

This team has more competition. The 99 team put women's soccer on the map however. Hamm especially.

Also, for those of you saying it was the U.S. player entering early...that's not what FIFA explained...

Shortly following the post-match news conferences, soccer's often bumbling governing body, FIFA, said it was because Solo went forward before the ball was struck. Replays didn't really support the argument.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6754797/women-world-cup-uscaptured-lightning-bottle-brazil-soccer

They didnt have the referees report yet. They were speculating.

The ref confirmed it was for the US player entering at the top. Solo was carded for dissent because she thought they were rekicking based on her movements.

They didnt have the referees report yet. They were speculating.

The ref confirmed it was for the US player entering at the top. Solo was carded for dissent because she thought they were rekicking based on her movements.

IThen why didn't the ref explain the situation to Solo?

I'm sensing a CYA moment here. I think the ref is lucky that in super duper slowmo we can see the US player entered box early I don't believe that was called on the field for a second. But after the fact, after they are informed and can view what really happened and put it in their report, they can say see, look, technically I was correct to allow a rekick, this was the call.

Archived