Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Women's World Cup Thread : Congrats Japan.

ixcuincle

IThen why didn't the ref explain the situation to Solo?

I'm sensing a CYA moment here. I think the ref is lucky that in super duper slowmo we can see the US player entered box early I don't believe that was called on the field for a second. But after the fact, after they are informed and can view what really happened and put it in their report, they can say see, look, technically I was correct to allow a rekick, this was the call.

I think she did. WHich is why Solo had that exasperated look on her face instead of an "I'm going to kill you after this match" look.

Technically, it was the right call. But man, after calling the PK on a sketchy call (at that point, replays were available in the stadium and to the 4th official who certainly relayed it tot he head ref), I dont see how they make that call.

Solo was carded for dissent. The rekick was ordered because of the infringement into the box. Technically correct, but wow. The card itself, I cant fault the ref. Happening that fast and from behind, it looks like Buehler takes her down. It was side to side and a legit play, but from where the ref stood, it looked bad.

The second Marta goal was even worse. Completely offsides, but Boxx needs to play it through. Put your ****ing arm down. No side judge in history has ever given a call based on that.

The ref missed a bunch of other ticky tack stuff. Including a handball on Lloyd that should have been a yellow (2nd, meaning a red) and a straight red intentional handball by Brazil in Extra Time right outside the box. And right in front of the linesman.

Lloyd miscall was horrible, but you can kind of understand the ref missing that as she has a lot of things to be looking for. The missed call on Brazilian was 10 yards in front of AR who should have been staring at that defender as she was the 2nd-to-last defender AND the ball was coming to her.

Ah well...doesn't matter. I do love that referees don't explain their actions. Makes for so much fun & dialogue. Even my 9y/o girl was going nuts yesterday. Funny stuff.

IThen why didn't the ref explain the situation to Solo?

Because the ref doesn't have to. Unfortunate, but true. Especially if Solo isn't a captain, she's not going to get any slack talking to the ref.

To be honest if the ref had to try and explain/justify every call during the game then that would put them in a terrible position.

Well, that makes sense then

Really? Does it? Despite the fact you told me I had no clue what I was talking about when I insisted Solo didn't move up early and you went on and on about it even after I linked you the video?

After all that you find out you were wrong and "Well, that makes sense..." is your reply? =D

Saw the highlights and will continue to believe that Soccer, if you could edit this down to a 5 to 10 minute clip, Most Americans could listen and or watch it while operating heavy machinery without falling asleep.

Nice win Ladies.

IMO, if you only watched the highlights, you missed out on the true excitement of the game. Understand if soccer's not your thing, but to watch the tieing goal without the missed chances for the 10 minutes preceding that header, makes it much more anti-climactic. Kind of like reading Cliff Notes.

Funny...I was thinking, after they were done playing >120minutes, halftime plus PKs that the game took less than 3 hours. A 60-minute NFL game that ends in a 13-6 score will take a minimum of 3 hours, and add another 30-40 minutes for a team that passes a lot or goes into overtime.

Yesterday's game was better than a game between the Lions and Rams. Really, no contest. Two crappy teams + too many commercials = fail.

I dunno about that, man. Remember that game a couple seasons where the Browns front four shattered Matt Stafford's shoulder and he finished the game anyway? That was pretty awesome.

Still, though, that was one of the most dramatic moments in sports in the last decade at least. I really didn't think they had it in them, so shame on me for not believing. I lost it when that header went in, though.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 11:42 AM ----------

I gotta say...one of the reasons why I've been enthrawled with the World Cup (Men's and Women's) is because of Ian Darke. I love this enthusiasm. He brings out a lot of excitement in a game that can get somewhat tedious.

We ought to teach him a little bit about American Football so he can call some of the NFL games.

Really? Does it? Despite the fact you told me I had no clue what I was talking about when I insisted Solo didn't move up early and you went on and on about it even after I linked you the video?

After all that you find out you were wrong and "Well, that makes sense..." is your reply? =D

No another video clip showed her moving slightly forward then to her left on the kick.........I said it was a tight call and that i understood if the ref called the rekick on that even though refs don't normally call that. So save you glee for another day there champ.

No another video clip showed her moving slightly forward then to her left on the kick.........I said it was a tight call and that i understood if the ref called the rekick on that even though refs don't normally call that. So save you glee for another day there champ.

Give it up. You were wrong.

I dunno about that, man. Remember that game a couple seasons where the Browns front four shattered Matt Stafford's shoulder and he finished the game anyway? That was pretty awesome.

Still, though, that was one of the most dramatic moments in sports in the last decade at least. I really didn't think they had it in them, so shame on me for not believing. I lost it when that header went in, though.

Not really. I love football but there are just WAY too many commercials. Half the afternoon is commercials. It's ridiculous.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 11:42 AM ----------

I gotta say...one of the reasons why I've been enthrawled with the World Cup (Men's and Women's) is because of Ian Darke. I love this enthusiasm. He brings out a lot of excitement in a game that can get somewhat tedious.

We ought to teach him a little bit about American Football so he can call some of the NFL games.

Not really. I love football but there are WAY too many commercials. It's ridiculous. Watching a game is half commercials.

Not really. I love football but there are WAY too many commercials. It's ridiculous. Watching a game is half commercials.

I'm with you. I don't watch a full football game live unless it is November, nighttime or nasty outside. September/October are just too nice around here to sit inside from 1-4, especially since it gets dark shortly after 6.

[/color]I gotta say...one of the reasons why I've been enthrawled with the World Cup (Men's and Women's) is because of Ian Darke. I love this enthusiasm. He brings out a lot of excitement in a game that can get somewhat tedious.

Actually, there are many more 'foreign' announcers like him doing great work with soccer in the rest of the world. They are good because they say what everyone else is already thinking. They don't worry about being politically correct ("I believe the referee has lost the plot" and "If you at home can explain that call, please drop us a postcard" were brilliant). Too many announcers in sports just toe the straight line and try to cover up really bad playing/refereeing/coaching.

Now, if we could only get Foudy out of the booth!!!!

Oh come on....I told you yesterday Hope Solo's movement on the line was perfectly legal and you said...

You need to rewatch it then, or I can't explain it to yYOU either...so whatever, she got the yellow, Brazil scored and this game is almost done so there , whine and ***** till te cows come home YOU ain't changing the score.

When you respond like that, you have to realize when your one ally, the ref, didn't even agree with you people are going to laugh...

It's a pointless argument at this point, but don't pretend like you were still right.

I like Foudy, so I'm against that! However, her confusion about how long the ET should go on was mind-boggling, but maybe that's her support crew's fault.

I also like when Darke refers to games that Foudy plays in and even goals that she scored and she can never remember what he's talking about.

Oh come on....I told you yesterday Hope Solo's movement on the line was perfectly legal and you said...

When you respond like that, you have to realize when your one ally, the ref, didn't even agree with you people are going to laugh...

It's a pointless argument at this point, but don't pretend like you were still right.

Well, everyone thougt she got the yellow for arguing with the ref about the call to rekick and movng off her line early......I was saying that it was a tight call.............so i don't know what the heck YOU are babbling about the ref didn't agree with me....did Hope get a yellow YES....was it for moving of her line........NO

All I was saying is if she got a yellow for moving of her line and arguing it was a tight call but I agree with the ref. So no pretending there was just going off the facts we had at that time. But Hope did move slighlty forward and to her left to me.so whatever, I guess it's pointless arguing with you too...since neither one of us are gonna budge from what WE saw.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 05:55 PM ----------

Last comment on this topic from me. Now we must beat France but those girls are good technically especially in their possession and passing skills

Archived