Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Women's World Cup Thread : Congrats Japan.

ixcuincle

i feel like such a failure. I watched the entire game, then when marta scored in ot, i got pissed and went down to the swimming pool. Then i get out of the pool and open this thread, see that we tied it, proceed to sprint out of the pool area, fall scrape my knee bad, get up run toward elevators, get in apt, turn tv on, pk ended 2 min before. Fail. Oh well. I'm going to record it tonight i think it comes back on at midnight. World cup is the only soccer i can seem to get into. Men's and women's. Hope we can pull it out.

lmao.

Even when you're losing, never give up "Hope." :)

You obviously mean Hope Powell of the English Women's National Team manager.

Hope-Powell-001.jpg

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 03:10 AM ----------

I feel like such a failure. I watched the entire game, then when Marta scored in ot, I got pissed and went down to the swimming pool. Then I get out of the pool and open this thread, see that we tied it, proceed to sprint out of the pool area, fall scrape my knee bad, get up run toward elevators, get in apt, turn tv on, pk ended 2 min before. Fail. Oh well. I'm going to record it tonight I think it comes back on at midnight. World cup is the only soccer I can seem to get into. Men's and women's. Hope we can pull it out.

I would never pull out of Hope. NEVER.

watched most of the quarter final games and they produced some great games. France looked impressive as did Sweden. It was a bit tedious having the crowd boo the Brazilian girl because of the penalty. The decision wasnt exactly hers, they should have booed the ref and her assistant!

Goal keeping in womans football is still an issue and a good game can get spoiled by some crappy goal on a keepers error but overall the standard is getting better and better. Solo of the US is an obvious exception and clearly has a 'you cant beat me' attitude to how she defends the goal mouth.

watched most of the quarter final games and they produced some great games. France looked impressive as did Sweden. It was a bit tedious having the crowd boo the Brazilian girl because of the penalty. The decision wasnt exactly hers, they should have booed the ref and her assistant!

Goal keeping in womans football is still an issue and a good game can get spoiled by some crappy goal on a keepers error but overall the standard is getting better and better. Solo of the US is an obvious exception and clearly has a 'you cant beat me' attitude to how she defends the goal mouth.

Marta deserved the booing. She clearly acted to get the PK, She cried every second of the game about calls, she yelled at the ref for a call to the point of getting a yellow card, and was a damn hot head most of the game. To top off she start flopping after the PK. Right after getting a truly BS call the one thing you shouldn't do is try to take advantage of the rules. That will turn people against you. Germans love their futbol and it clearly ticked off them that a team was about advance that was clearly getting the game handed to them in tournament that they were hosting. That's why German fans joined the USAs. Politics and junk aside Germans were simply thinking we're out of tournament and here's a team that's facing every obstacle you could from the refs to being a man down. That's what caused the stadium to sway to the USA and that's why #10 Marta got booed. She acted like a ass and the fans treated her like one. Other Brazilian tactics like faking a serious injury and crap didn't endear them to the fans in the stadium either. No one likes a serious injury and faking one is crossing the line.

Marta deserved the booing. She clearly acted to get the PK, She cried every second of the game about calls, she yelled at the ref for a call to the point of getting a yellow card, and was a damn hot head most of the game. To top off she start flopping after the PK. Right after getting a truly BS call the one thing you shouldn't do is try to take advantage of the rules. That will turn people against you. Germans love their futbol and it clearly ticked off them that a team was about advance that was clearly getting the game handed to them in tournament that they were hosting. That's why German fans joined the USAs. Politics and junk aside Germans were simply thinking we're out of tournament and here's a team that's facing every obstacle you could from the refs to being a man down. That's what caused the stadium to sway to the USA and that's why #10 Marta got booed. She acted like a ass and the fans treated her like one. Other Brazilian tactics like faking a serious injury and crap didn't endear them to the fans in the stadium either. No one likes a serious injury and faking one is crossing the line.

faking injury? jeez, every player in just about every game men or womens football should get booed then. That was a pen, the girl went right through from behind and knocked her over. The fact she got her toe to the ball as some went on about (including the commentary team that should know better) is irrelevant. Put a challenge like that in in the box and you are in serious danger of conceding a penalty. The retake was a joke, no doubt about that. The rest of it was like being at a bad Chirstmas pantomime with comedy booing by the crowd. I can quite clearly recall a tackle with a Brazilian player where her arm came across the US players face who immediately went to ground like she had been knocked out then embarrased got back up as she realised no one was buying it. Not condoning, but get real when you start pointing the finger. This was a hard fought game and yes there were some time wasting tactics but beyond that nothing other than a tough contest.

I like the placement of the game winning PK. I have preached to so many soccer players about taking PKs (men and women). A firm pass to the side netting is all that is required. A pass on the ground to the side netting with pace is unstoppable unless the keeper was already cheating to that side.

It was an amazing game. I pretty much gave up hope on the red card PK only to get it back with the save to lose it again on the call back. Playing 10 on 11 for 65 min is almost as incredible as the last second goal to tie it up. I thought both Brazil's goals were gifts from the ref, though I can sort of understand the missed offsides. The dive in the box was crazy, and Solo didn't move out towards the kicker. She moved along the line which is legal. grrr. Then we get yellow card for strange things like when we got a yellow and the free kick. Was it a foul or not? I was beginning to wonder how much money the ref had on the game.

I like the placement of the game winning PK. I have preached to so many soccer players about taking PKs (men and women). A firm pass to the side netting is all that is required. A pass on the ground to the side netting with pace is unstoppable unless the keeper was already cheating to that side.

It was an amazing game. I pretty much gave up hope on the red card PK only to get it back with the save to lose it again on the call back. Playing 10 on 11 for 65 min is almost as incredible as the last second goal to tie it up. I thought both Brazil's goals were gifts from the ref, though I can sort of understand the missed offsides. The dive in the box was crazy, and Solo didn't move out towards the kicker. She moved along the line which is legal. grrr. Then we get yellow card for strange things like when we got a yellow and the free kick. Was it a foul or not? I was beginning to wonder how much money the ref had on the game.

according to the commentary team the retake was because a US player ran in to the box before the ball was kicked so infringing the area which is illegal. The thing is you see it game after game in mens and womens football as players are desperate to be the first player to get to a rebound if the keeper saves. From that point on the ref seemed to lose her grip a bit with some very nervy decisions. I can only assume in the US free-kick/US yellow card incident that the US player must have mouthed off about something otherwise the ref has basically lost the plot.

The commentary is just that, commentary. One thing I wish FIFA would approve is post game replays. No changes to rulings on the pitch. However, players that take dives get an auto yellow card for the next game. Players who fake injury auto red card. Sportsmanship has gone the way of the dodo in pretty much every professional sport.

The problem with faked injury is that there is usally some kind of contact and no matter how much we can claim they are faking it the contact means you get in to a real minefield of if someone was faking or actually hurt. Diving - I agree, someplayers hit the deck with absolutely no contact and some kind of post-match penalty could be applied for the more blatant ones.

Probably the most exciting soccer game I've ever seen in my life. Especially since Abby hung out with my wife/kids for an afternoon a couple of years ago as part of our local club's Freedom players night. She is what I wish more professional athletes are like, incredibly competitive, talented yet recognizes it is a game.

As a soccer coach, there are so many teachable moments from that game that can apply to any sport, or life for that matter. I think the US won that game due to leadership, mental toughness and their incredible conditioning. Compare the US squad at 122 minutes, being a player down, with the England team that looked like they were playing in 8" of water. Brazil lost their focus, after marking Abby extremely tight for the entire game, only to allow her to be unmarked and square up to the goal on a beautiful cross.

One of the things I like about the WWC is that you don't see a lot, if any, diving. I honestly think the Brazilians were doing it yesterday from fatigue more than anything. Hell of a game. Congrats US Women! Wednesday's game is going to be huge, and if they win they most likely get a chance at redemption vs. Sweden.

Have to agree with you on all counts. Conditioning/stamina can play a major part in games. I'm still a bit concerned about our ball placement. One touch mis-touches and poor ball control. There are still many gaps in our teams play but at least we can enjoy this victory.

Have to agree with you on all counts. Conditioning/stamina can play a major part in games. I'm still a bit concerned about our ball placement. One touch mis-touches and poor ball control. There are still many gaps in our teams play but at least we can enjoy this victory.

Agree. Their midfield play was atrocious I thought yesterday. Boxx & Lloyd were much more concerned with playing defense in the final 1/3 and rarely provided good CM support on the attack. Defensively, they let the Brazilians march untouched through the midfield. Overall the US dribbled way too much and should have let the ball work for them (which they seemed to do a bit better in the extra time). O'Reilly definitely didn't impress yesterday. Thought she would exploit that defense.

faking injury? jeez, every player in just about every game men or womens football should get booed then. That was a pen, the girl went right through from behind and knocked her over. The fact she got her toe to the ball as some went on about (including the commentary team that should know better) is irrelevant. Put a challenge like that in in the box and you are in serious danger of conceding a penalty. The retake was a joke, no doubt about that. The rest of it was like being at a bad Chirstmas pantomime with comedy booing by the crowd. I can quite clearly recall a tackle with a Brazilian player where her arm came across the US players face who immediately went to ground like she had been knocked out then embarrased got back up as she realised no one was buying it. Not condoning, but get real when you start pointing the finger. This was a hard fought game and yes there were some time wasting tactics but beyond that nothing other than a tough contest.

I'm saying tactics like the faking injury by Marta and the being stretchered off crap by that one player only to run back on two seconds will make you hated. Play dirty you get treated dirty. US played a clean game. They didn't try take advantage of rules. The fans saw one team outright using the ref to win while one team was fighting tooth and nail to overcome every obstacle. USA might have been #1 in the world but considering all the things against them they were the underdogs with their backs against the wall. Brazil was not interested in winning fair. USA played as though if they were gonna win they would do it by themselves. Brazil played with no class as USA played with pride. If you want to bring up USA flopping fine but don't try to compare. USA dropping for a call vs Brazil constantly acting like they broke a leg or neck is two different things. Brazil tried to win by running the clock out faking injuries. That's classless. Being stretcher and strapped to a board and then being carried off only to run back onto the field a second later(she got booed like hell). ABSOLUTE CLASSLESS.

Both of her goals should not have happened/counted. I could maybe see the PK retake. I referee soccer games, and after watching the replay, the US defender did get the benefit of jumping early b/c the rebound went to her side of the field. I question why the play wasn't whistled dead earlier, but maybe it was and couldn't be heard over the crowd.

Marta is a phenomenal athlete, but she acted like a 7 year old yesterday. She was the focal point for the crowd's frustrations with the Brazilian attempt at time-wasting and the piss-poor officiating crew (I think the AR on the Brazilian side was worse than the center). WRT time-wasting, any ref worth their salt is going to add time on to the clock for injuries, especially in tight game where the winning team is "hurt". And, the center yellow carded the offender (Erika) when she sprinted back on the field.

Edit: Anyone notice in extra time when Brazilian GK picked the ball up that Abby was counting on her fingers how long she was taking to release it? I found that funny.

There are a few good GKs, although Solo is the class of the group.

Watching the replay I don't think that "foul" which resulted in a red card for us and a PK for Brasil was worthy of being called. However in that moment I can't fault the ref as it happened pretty fast and did look a bit like Marta was getting yanked down out of the air. Whatever, I've not liked her since she took out the Swedish chick en route to her "magnificent" goal in group play.

Also I hate that someone else can shoot a PK re-kick. Something very similar happened in a DCU game this summer. Bill Hamid stopped TWO PK tries in a row, but was called both times for coming off his line. Then on the third try a different player took the kick and made it. Bull****. Once you take one try you should be on the hook for any retakes.

In response to the time-wasting, I was happy to see the ref give Brasil a yellow for it late in the game. However, refs have to do a better job of making "injured" players wait to come back on the field. If you are carted off on a stretcher you should have to wait 1 minute at least to come back on.

I think what yesterday illustrated was that it's not just American fans who are tired of the diving and gamesmanship. As poor as the ref was yesterday, I'm glad she cautioned the faker at the end after she ran back onto the field. I've never seen a card given for the same thing in the men's game.

I wish our foreign skins fans would chime in on this, but is the "last second victory" as big a part of other cultures as it is in America? I really do think that there's something in our collective psychology that plays it out until the end and mythologizes the last second come from behind victory. I've been watching soccer closely for two decades now, and I have to say that the last second/extra time win in soccer seems to be a relatively new phenomenon. I believe it's the better conditioning of athletes around the world that's contributing to that. In past decades the athletes were not as well conditioned as the ones now. FIFA did a study and the vast majority of goals in recent history are scored in the last ten minutes of each half.

A few good; no Oliver Kahn's though.

I coach goalkeepers and the main difference is athleticism (duh). The women aren't as explosive, so even their positioning has to change. Men can venture further out on their six, while we suggest women stay near their line (to cover the possibility of chipped balls).

It'd be easier of soccer players just got out of the mentality of acting like candy asses.

It's hard to watch that crap after watching Steven Stamkos take a slapshot to the nose, get treated and come back in like it's no big deal or Duncan Keith take a bomb to the mouth and come in with missing teeth.

FIFA has allowed this bull**** to go on. It's one thing to play conservatively, which is being smart; faking injury to waste time is unsportsmanlike.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 09:25 AM ----------

I coach goalkeepers and the main difference is athleticism (duh). The women aren't as explosive, so even their positioning has to change. Men can venture further out on their six, while we suggest women stay near their line (to cover the possibility of chipped balls).

Yup, they said that on the replay of the 1999 Final yesterday.

One thing I don't remember is the card issue. Do they reset for the quarterfinals? US is in trouble going against France based on the number of players that have gotten yellows (yesterday: Solo, Boxx, Lloyd, Rapinoe). And Buehler is out for France due to red.

All cards are reset to zero. ( with the exception of Buehler having to serve one game for the red card)

Archived