Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marijuana and Brain Cells

Chiefinonhaze

Why is it "legal" rather than legal? Colorado has medical marijuana, doesn't it?

In Colorado, it's "legal."

Federally, it's illegal.

In Colorado Springs, there is a moratorium on new marijuana dispensaries because we have been so inundated with this bullcrap.

People running their "business" today were not doing so legally, by state (and of course, federal) standards.

This whole "medical marijuana" schtick is such smoke and mirrors it's absurd. The federal government needs to make a decision one way or another regarding all these states who have legalized medical marijuana because it's a massive cluster**** and it's putting more and more people at risk.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 10:14 PM ----------

Eh, Obama's mostly followed through on his pledge to not go after medical marijuana in states that have legalized it. Black helicopters, on the other hand, I can't really speak for. Hell, they could be reading my mind right now. :ols:

Not exactly. Dispensaries who openly flaunt their business in the media have been busted by the DEA, even recently. As a result, the business is still extremely "shady" and largely underground...which is why the federal government needs to address this and make a decision one way or another. It's absurd to have a federal law and openly direct federal authorities to not enforce that law. This is a major issue that needs to be addressed. Piss or get off the pot.

This whole "medical marijuana" schtick is such smoke and mirrors it's absurd. The federal government needs to make a decision one way or another regarding all these states who have legalized medical marijuana because it's a massive cluster**** and it's putting more and more people at risk.

Oh, I couldn't agree with you more on that one. It's a ridiculous situation.

Not exactly. Dispensaries who openly flaunt their business in the media have been busted by the DEA, even recently. As a result, the business is still extremely "shady" and largely underground...which is why the federal government needs to address this and make a decision one way or another. It's absurd to have a federal law and openly direct federal authorities to not enforce that law. This is a major issue that needs to be addressed. Piss or get off the pot.

Hmmm. I read recently that the feds seemed to have backed off almost entirely. Maybe it wasn't a particularly accurate story, I don't remember where I found it.

Doesn't Colorado have a relatively well-known marijuana culinary school? Where the owners literally teach people how to use pot in dozens of recipes for all sorts of things? I saw something on TV about it a while back, I think it was in Colorado.

Hmmm. I read recently that the feds seemed to have backed off almost entirely. Maybe it wasn't a particularly accurate story, I don't remember where I found it.

Doesn't Colorado have a relatively well-known marijuana culinary school? Where the owners literally teach people how to use pot in dozens of recipes for all sorts of things? I saw something on TV about it a while back, I think it was in Colorado.

You're right on both accounts. Basically, the feds are saying they've backed off. However, they haven't completely backed off as there have been raids in Colorado and some marijuana growers are facing severe punishment.

And yes, there are culinary classes in the Denver or Boulder area, I forget, that teach people how to cook, bake, sautee, whatever, their marijuana dishes. I think it's a business run by a couple in their 40s or 50's, I forget. They are trying to be on the "up and up" with their business and actively pushing for state legislation requiring marijuana dispensary licensure. However, they are still weary of federal intervention as that threat is still out there. Those people are legit business owners, unfortunately many, many, many dispensaries are not operated that way and it's a complete cluster...and you end up with business "entrepreneurs" selling to anyone who wants it, with or without a medical marijuana card, and are stoned out of their minds when attempting to answer questions from the feds who come knocking at their door on days like today, lol. Jeezo whizzo.

As with most drugs it depends on what you use it for:

I'd gladly give up 10% of the braincells i'm obviously not using to stop a pain that is making me want to end my life.

Perscription drugs for hair loss seem to have 20 worse effects.

Marijuana affects the development of the brain. Marijuana use has been tied to the development of schizophrenia (though cause and effect has been a little hard to nail down, but I think most people in the field now will tell you that is a contributing cause and not just a risk factor) Marijuana use affects learning (here we can establish cause and effect because you can compare people that are "active" and then compare to them during "abstinacne") and has been tied to long term violent behavior (there cause and effect is much harder to establish). The younger the larger the effects as the brain is still developing most likely. It is also tied to many of the same lung/respirtory track diseases as normal smoking (but not lung cancer, but things like emphysema).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21664935

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21420833

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21349338

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21334181

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21253958

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21686059

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17931876

Also, it isn't true that you don't use a large percentage of your brain. We don't know what some parts of your brain do, but it is clear that most of your brain is "active".

wow ^^^ i would beg to differ i know just as many stupid people who dont smoke pot to just as many stupid people that do.

mj doesnt kill brain cells unless you basically suffocate yourself with it, which is actually the loss of oxygen that causes the loss of brain cells. -reefer madness the movie.

The movie "Super High Me" runs tests on a stoner who is clean for 30 days, then smokes for 30 days. The results are pretty similar.

FYI - his sperm count is way up when he has cannibis in his system.

Also, a lot of those smoke-shop dudes are burnt out from other hallucinigenics...not necesarily just weed.

Ive been a daily MJ user for about 12 years. Now there is no telling how well Id be doing now if I never touched the stuff but I graduated high school with an advanced diploma, graduated college in 4.5 years, and now own my own company developing land and building neighborhoods. Id say Im doing pretty well. If chronic does in fact kill brain cells, it has to be at a very small rate. Of course I have my pot head moments like looking for my car keys when they are in my hand etc,but Id consider myself pretty sharp, and like I said, I smoke the good **** everyday.

My buddy came to visit from Colarado Springs last week. He showed me his medical MJ license he got for "pain management" :ols: . Its such a sham. Apparently, its entirely possible to get a cultivators license and start growing in Colarado Springs. He said there were something like 200 dispensaries in Colarado Springs alone. He also said that because the State shelters growers, Feds don't bust growers as much because of some law stating any plants confiscated had to be held and cared for until trial verdict, and if found innocent that any destroyed income (crops) had to be paid for. Supposedly this throw a wrench in the works of trying to bust growers, because some of them are growing in accordance to State law.... something like that.

Anyways, dude had some crazy stuff on him, he said it was called "Train Wreck"... whatever that means. he also had this stuff called Tincture. Didnt interest me, but the stuff smelled like a cross between a flower and wrotting roadkill. very odd scent. Pungent.

wow ^^^ i would beg to differ i know just as many stupid people who dont smoke pot to just as many stupid people that do.

mj doesnt kill brain cells unless you basically suffocate yourself with it, which is actually the loss of oxygen that causes the loss of brain cells. -reefer madness the movie.

I've found MJ smokers to be on average more intelligent, articulate, and peaceful than non tokers.

/anecdotal evidence

My buddy came to visit from Colarado Springs last week. He showed me his medical MJ license he got for "pain management" :ols: . Its such a sham. Apparently, its entirely possible to get a cultivators license and start growing in Colarado Springs. He said there were something like 200 dispensaries in Colarado Springs alone. He also said that because the State shelters growers, Feds don't bust growers as much because of some law stating any plants confiscated had to be held and cared for until trial verdict, and if found innocent that any destroyed income (crops) had to be paid for. Supposedly this throw a wrench in the works of trying to bust growers, because some of them are growing in accordance to State law.... something like that.

Anyways, dude had some crazy stuff on him, he said it was called "Train Wreck"... whatever that means. he also had this stuff called Tincture. Didnt interest me, but the stuff smelled like a cross between a flower and wrotting roadkill. very odd scent. Pungent.

Ahh yes. Good ole train wreck. Sativa dominant hybrid. Very funky. It's kinda harsh on your throat and very potent. Very good for appetite, usually a lighter green color with red trichomes instead of orange. Haven't seen it in awhile but one of my all time favorite strains.

Of course I have my pot head moments like looking for my car keys when they are in my hand etc

Well, ****, if that makes you a pothead, I must smoke pot all the time without even knowing it. :ols: Always been absent-minded as hell.

Yep, you've basically got the big picture correct as far as the situation goes here. It's a complete cluster****: there are dispensaries and pot warehouses all over the damn place. Every has a pot "license." FWIW, a lot of our lovely Olympic athletes use pot regularly (does any athlete not use drugs now days?) The USOC drug tests regularly and bust guys for percocet use, but marijuana is completely fine...hence, a ton of athletes have their medical marijuana cards (I don't know how many medical marijuana cardholders make up the olympic team, but at least many of the athletes in my social circle have their cards and do pot all the time...which boggles my mind). It's such bullcrap. I need marijuana for my concussion, wahhh. I need marijuana for my chronic back pain, waahhh. It's a complete sham.

I'm not opposed to medicinal marijuana for patients who legitimately need it. But the way things are run right now are completely out of control; everyone has medical marijuana licenses, drug dealers are using medical marijuana and lacing it with heroin and coke (I'm not kidding, the local law enforcement officers at our last coalition meeting confirmed this) to hook unsuspecting kids and teenagers and more medical-grade MJ is turning up in major drug busts in the Springs and along the I-25 corridor. It's a complete free-for-all. I feel the same about doctors who so quickly hand out marijuana licenses to anyone as I do the doctors who run pill mills...they are all piece of **** drug dealers. It's just sickening to witness the explosion of prescription drug abuse, from marijuana to opiods, to whatever. Our society is going down the crapper. Yes, I'm now done with my rant about this....it's just annoying to have to deal with this crap everyday and see the affects it has on people and on a community.

Keastman, I am an admitted mj user/abuser whatever anyone wants to call it but please don't lump in docs that might be lenient in prescribing mj to the scumbag quack docs that run pill mills. Opiate abuse and dependence is not even in the same stratosphere as marijuana abuse.

Yeah it's bad that people who really don't need weed for medical reasons have cards and get pot very easily and legally but the "docs" that run pill mills ruin people's/family's life and communtities on a scale much, much larger than that of these weed dispensories popping up in different parts of the country. I know you and other people who don't like mj hate this comment but it's just weed. And I'm sure your example of people lacing the weed with coke and heroin is a very isolated incident which would happen every once in a while whether the pot shops were there or not.

Keastman, I am an admitted mj user/abuser whatever anyone wants to call it but please don't lump in docs that might be lenient in prescribing mj to the scumbag quack docs that run pill mills. Opiate abuse and dependence is not even in the same stratosphere as marijuana abuse.

Yeah it's bad that people who really don't need weed for medical reasons have cards and get pot very easily and legally but the "docs" that run pill mills ruin people's/family's life and communtities on a scale much, much larger than that of these weed dispensories popping up in different parts of the country. I know you and other people who don't like mj hate this comment but it's just weed. And I'm sure your example of people lacing the weed with coke and heroin is a very isolated incident which would happen every once in a while whether the pot shops were there or not.

I can and I will compare doctors who hand out medically unnecessary MJ cards for large profit to doctors who run pill mills for large profit. There is no difference between their motives...they are motivated by greed, not for the well-being of their patients. You can rationalize it as pot doesn't cause as much societal damage as opiates, but that's just rationalization. For the record, as far as MJ goes, I am not against it medicinally, but it needs to be monitored effectively, just as prescription drugs need to be better monitored, particularly in states like Florida and Ohio.

And lacing the weed with coke and heroin is not an "isolated" incident in this area. Yes, it would happen regardless of whether or not pot dispensaries were present or not, but medical grade marijuana is much easier to get ahold of when there are hundreds of dispensaries to chose from. :)

Archived