Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marijuana and Brain Cells

Chiefinonhaze

Today at work, I had a debate with this guy at my work who is in "medical school."

He said that MJ kills brain cells, and I replied " we regenerate those brain cells naturally".

He went on to say that we do not regenerate brain cells, and once they are gone they are gone forever. He said brain cells are only formed during our childhood and once we are adults we have a set amount.

I had a hard time believing this, and It's hard to find quality online sources to trust.

So I have two questions:

1. Does Marijuana in fact kill brain cells?

2. If it does, can we regenerate these brain cells?

You have a set amount of brain cells from the day you are born. Marijuana kills them at 20x the rate that shaking your head back and forth until your face goes numb does. Basically if you smoke marijuana every day for 10 years all your brain cells will be gone and you will die.

Also, tell your friend he's an idiot.

It's so hard to find scholarly sources on the subject of marijuana. I tried to write a paper on it for a class, it was tough

Definitely. I did a quick google search so I would have something other than my previous smart ass answer, but did not immediately see anything terribly helpful. It did appear from the results that while brain cell regeneration seems to be limited, marijuana does not kill the cells.

You have a set amount of brain cells from the day you are born. Marijuana kills them at 20x the rate that shaking your head back and forth until your face goes numb does. Basically if you smoke marijuana every day for 10 years all your brain cells will be gone and you will die.

Also, tell your friend he's an idiot.

Go to a dead concert and you'll meet plenty of people that prove you wrong!

There is a wealth of literature that cannabinoids can have both neuroprotective and neurotoxic effects, depending on the dose.

There are only a select few areas of the brain (the DG of the hippocampus and the SVZ) where neurogenesis can actually occur into adulthood.

There is a wealth of literature that cannabinoids can have both neuroprotective and neurotoxic effects, depending on the dose.

There are only a select few areas of the brain (the DG of the hippocampus and the SVZ) where neurogenesis can actually occur into adulthood.

Good start, sounds professional, so you get the benefit of the doubt. Define "Neuroprotective" and "Neurotoxic" (probably obvious) please. Also, please link within 1 day (or provide scholarly citiaton to source).

So, here comes this guy "Chiefinonhaze" with all of his questions. Remember, his name. In long form it is "Chiefing on haze", aka "smoking the reefer", aka "inhaling marijuana". Do you really trust an ES member who goes by, "inhaling marijuana"? I mean, even Bill Clintion, the most liberal of all liberals didn't inhale the stuff. How could you possibly trust an anonymous source on an internet forum who goes by a name which equates to smoking marijuana?

I believe that this is another one of those trick questions that he has been posting lately.

Brain cells? What is a brain cell? It sounds to me like something that some sort of alchemist in the 1700's dreamed up... probably while under the influence of drugs. While that alchemist was thinking of things like gravity and relativity, he was probably thinking of getting high. Don't you know that getting high is bad and will get you into major trouble? Like going to jail? The white man says so, it must be true.

So, if you are trying to imagine that some naturally growing substance will kill your brain cells. Imagine this. Do angry birds want to kill pigs? I mean, c'mon. What other crazy things would some sort of crazy person who goes by the name of "smoking the finest ganja known to man" think of next? A monkey popping "bloons" with an arrow? This isn't a game guys! This is real life and brain cells matter!

So, here comes this guy "Chiefinonhaze" with all of his questions. Remember, his name. In long form it is "Chiefing on haze", aka "smoking the reefer", aka "inhaling marijuana". Do you really trust an ES member who goes by, "inhaling marijuana"? I mean, even Bill Clintion, the most liberal of all liberals didn't inhale the stuff. How could you possibly trust an anonymous source on an internet forum who goes by a name which equates to smoking marijuana?

I believe that this is another one of those trick questions that he has been posting lately.

Brain cells? What is a brain cell? It sounds to me like something that some sort of alchemist in the 1700's dreamed up... probably while under the influence of drugs. While that alchemist was thinking of things like gravity and relativity, he was probably thinking of getting high. Don't you know that getting high is bad and will get you into major trouble? Like going to jail? The white man says so, it must be true.

So, if you are trying to imagine that some naturally growing substance will kill your brain cells. Imagine this. Do angry birds want to kill pigs? I mean, c'mon. What other crazy things would some sort of crazy person who goes by the name of "smoking the finest ganja known to man" think of next? A monkey popping "bloons" with an arrow? This isn't a game guys! This is real life and brain cells matter!

This was a hilarious post. I literally LOLed. The single fact that you knew the meaning of chiefinonhaze, immediately makes me thing you have inhaled before as well.

This was a hilarious post. I literally LOLed. The single fact that you knew the meaning of chiefinonhaze, immediately makes me thing you have inhaled before as well.

Me? No way. I've never smoked a blunt, an L or a J. I've never taking a G bong hit, a shotgun or a one hitter. What makes you think that? Just because I can decipher strange internet screen names? Huh?

By the way... as the ol' stoner mantra goes... or at least as I remember it. We only use like 3% of our brain cells. Mary Jane will only kill like 10% of them... and that's if you smoke every day for life. So, we've got plenty to spare.

You won't get dumb from smoking marijuana. You won't turn into a retard. I can't say that it has no effect on you, but it doesn't have a a life long negative effect on you.

Google Scholar works wonders for finding scholarly information regarding brain chemistry and marijuana use, specifically within the developing brain of an adolescent. :) You're welcome.

On a side note, I was assigned to supervise an undercover buy on a "legal" marijuana "dispensary" today, and I can attest to the fact that the owner of that particular dispensary has definitely lost permanent brain function. What a ****ing idiot. That's about all I can say about that.

Google Scholar works wonders for finding scholarly information regarding brain chemistry and marijuana use, specifically within the developing brain of an adolescent. :) You're welcome.

On a side note, I was assigned to supervise an undercover buy on a "legal" marijuana "dispensary" today, and I can attest to the fact that the owner of that particular dispensary has definitely lost permanent brain function. What a ****ing idiot. That's about all I can say about that.

Why is it "legal" rather than legal? Colorado has medical marijuana, doesn't it?

the Feds, black helicopters etc...

Eh, Obama's mostly followed through on his pledge to not go after medical marijuana in states that have legalized it. Black helicopters, on the other hand, I can't really speak for. Hell, they could be reading my mind right now. :ols:

Archived