Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you think some in the media are genuinely concerned the Washington Redskins are getting their act together?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There are some reporters who genuinely don't like the 'skins. It's true, but I think the larger part of the problem is that the "media" was burned so often by the 'skins from about 99-2005 or so. The media treated us like they do the Cowboy's today. We were always the offseason champs and then made them look stupid for picking us. I think after enough years of providing fool's gold some of them decided that optimism when writing about the 'skins is dangerous. So, it turned the corner.

You'll see it happening to the Cowboys relatively soon. The "media" has been touting the Cowboys as Superbowl champs every preseason for about six years only to watch that team spectacularly flame out. At some point, they'll stop and start going the other way. It may have already begun. I don't hear as much or as much positive about them this year.

Meh, I read something positive about the lack of drama in Redskins Park so far this season off NFL.com. No negativity yet

And of all of the things that Dan Steinberg can write about.... he writes about John Thompson telling Trent Williams that he doesn't like him using the name Silverback.

Did anybody watch sportscenter last night (or again, and again, and again this morning). They've put together a little collage of football snippets from last year as their way (I assume) of officially kicking off the preseason. I'm fairly sure I was able to spot every team being represented, except one. Anybody wanna take a guess which one? Not even a damn .5 second clip of the B&G :mad:

Did anybody watch sportscenter last night (or again, and again, and again this morning). They've put together a little collage of football snippets from last year as their way (I assume) of officially kicking off the preseason. I'm fairly sure I was able to spot every team being represented, except one. Anybody wanna take a guess which one? Not even a damn .5 second clip of the B&G :mad:

And that surprises you why? Everytime they want to highlight a team or a player, it is making something happen against the Skins, like no one else ever misses a tackle or gives up a TD

And that surprises you why? Everytime they want to highlight a team or a player, it is making something happen against the Skins, like no one else ever misses a tackle or gives up a TD

Not really surprised LD, just curious if anybody else notices this ****? It makes you wonder (or it should at least), why in the hell do we the fans continue to watch/listen/read certain media providers, when they make it blatantly evident that they don't really give a **** about the team you support.

feh, it's nothing new, I am long past the point of giving a **** what the mainstream media says. We are amazingly lucky to have ES to follow the Skins, where every crumb is nitpicked to death and parsed beyond its quarks for meaning, and an army of posters watches for the slightest mention of the team.

feh, it's nothing new, I am long past the point of giving a **** what the mainstream media says. We are amazingly lucky to have ES to follow the Skins, where every crumb is nitpicked to death and parsed beyond its quarks for meaning, and an army of posters watches for the slightest mention of the team.

true dat :D

You got to read the thread bro, that's not what I'm saying, and that's not what this thread is about.

We are talking about individuals. We are talking about "some" of them. There is no evil "media conspiracy" against the Redskins.

Black helicopters aren't flying over Redskins park. :silly:

You should have just called this thread what it really is: "Is 106.7 genuinely concerned the Skins are getting their ish together?" I mean that's what you really meant and I doubt many would disagree. Well at least the people who actually have listened to 106.7. I just don't see how one can deny it.

I don't give a **** what they're worried about. I would just love to see them all talk about how amazing the Skins are this season, and how they were completely wrong (and look like total clowns) when they were laughing at every positive comment our coaches or players said.

I just want to point out, it's pretty rare for the media to get the SB winner right, on the other end, it's also extremely rare for them to be able to pick out the team who will be the worst in the NFL. So, **** them.

I remember Cowherd railing on the Skins all offseason after the Zorn signing, then we came out 6-2 and he apologized and said he was wrong. It was a glorious moment. I could do with another one of those this year (minus the 2nd half meltdown. That was embarrassing).

We still have no safties and only one good cornerback.

I assume you're saying because Atogwe and Landry aren't practicing right now that we have no safeties. I'll give you that, until they get healthy.

But, DHall is good and Wilson is good too. Buchanon played well in nickel last season and, it looks like Barnes is still learning. I don't think we have "Eagle" talent at the CB spots, but no one does. If our starting CBs were Hall and Wilson, it would be a vast improvement over last season.

the media is never wrong, so what do they have to be concerned about?

we win a game? "the other team lost the game, just gifted them a win"

we do better than expected? "look at this miracle team, no one saw coming. now for the rest of the show lets talk about all the other teams and the parody in the league and how different teams with higher expectations by us were robbed by injury/lockout/other worthless excuse that every team in the NFL has to deal with"

I remember Cowherd railing on the Skins all offseason after the Zorn signing, then we came out 6-2 and he apologized and said he was wrong. It was a glorious moment. I could do with another one of those this year (minus the 2nd half meltdown. That was embarrassing).

And then Jim Zorn, afraid that he had hurt Cowherds feelings, set out to be the worst team possible for the next year and a half so he could prove Cowherd right.

:shot:

I don't give a **** what they're worried about. I would just love to see them all talk about how amazing the Skins are this season, and how they were completely wrong (and look like total clowns) when they were laughing at every positive comment our coaches or players said.

I just want to point out, it's pretty rare for the media to get the SB winner right, on the other end, it's also extremely rare for them to be able to pick out the team who will be the worst in the NFL. So, **** them.

If we could put together two 6-2 seasons back to back it would be great.

There's be stories to write about the turnaround it if happens, so why would they care either way how the Redskins do.

Let me break this down real quick for those who don't listen to the radio or aren't local. The OP is talking about 106.7. Why he went broad with the topic I don't know, but he's clearly talking about 106.7. So...

106.7 the Fan, formerly WJFK, Washington's Superstation with Stern, Don and Mike, Ron and Fez, hell G. Gordon Liddy. The pinnacle of broadcast radio. What I grew up with. What I listened to all day everyday (used to live about an hour from my school and my mom would have to drive us so we always listened. I did a book report on Stern's autobiography in the 7th grade. I'm a radiophile.) Now 106.7 features the Junkies in the morning (stale but still ok), UnWise Mike and Holden Kushner :doh:, Lavar Arrington and Chad Dukes :puke:, and Overtime with Danny Rouhier :doh: (though I love him when it comes to the Wizards.)

The other station is WTEM, aka ESPN 980. Owned by Dan Snyder and featuring Mike and Mike, The Sports Fix with Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro, The John Thompson Show with Doc Walker, and the Sports Reporters with Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin. Again, owned by Dan Snyder. Before WJFK flipped format, I never really listened to the station. WJFK is what I grew up with, even when it hit hard times with the abysmal Mike O'Meara Show and the EXTREMELY overrated Big O and Dukes Show, I stuck with it. So ftr, I'm no fanboy.

Anyway, like 2 years ago WJFK flipped formats from guy talk to sports talk. The entire station then became based around the fact that their sportstalk competitor, WTEM, is owned by Snyder and them thus not being able to talk open and honestly about the Skins. They were biased and censored. Only on WJFK are they free to "speak the truth." So for the most part, the entire station runs on anti-Snyder/Shannahan/Skins schtick. They need bad **** to happen so they can push controversy and milk it for all it's worth.

Of course, it's total bull****. WTEM criticizes the Skins constantly. They criticize Snyder endlessly. Not once have I ever heard anything that's made me stop and think that there was something to that charge (and again, I'm not a fanboy.) They just do it in a mature, logical, professional and fact-based way. But WJFK needs to separate itself. They push this biased meme as hard as possible. To show that they're different, they slam anything Skins relentlessly. "WE CAN SPEAK THE TRUTH!!! LISTEN TO US!!! YOU WON'T HEAR THIS ON THE OTHER STATION!!!" Hell, they spent an entire day, not an entire segment or entire show but an ENTIRE DAY, on the Snyder/City Paper lawsuit. Outside of 9/11, I've never heard anything like it in all my life. Where a station devotes its entire day to one topic. And now, of course, now that bad **** isn't happening, it's become quite pathetic as they stretch as far as possible to turn nothings into somethings.

For example, a couple of days ago when the story JUST broke and before they really had time to digest, Lavar had no problem with Rexy being confident about the Skins winning the division. "He's probably the starting QB, he's the leader, and he's supposed to be confident and rally the troops." Then today, 48 hours later and after they clearly had a meeting on how to play it, Lavar was going off on how it's embarrassing, it's showing up other teams, it's putting a target on teammates backs, etc. It's just dumb. Every single day is like that. Reach, reach, reach.

To top it off, they act like Snyder is out to destroy the station. I guess Danny Smith was interviewed on WTEM, while he's never been on WJFK. So the theory I heard this morning was that he's probably been banned from going on their station and that's why he's never been on. Just pure schtick.

Meanwhile, WJFK is 20th in the market, well behind WTEM and Lavar and Dukes are 7 spots behind their counterparts Czban and Pollin. What makes this really bad is that WTEM runs on 3 separate stations with weak signals. For example, here in Gainesville, I can listen to 94.3. In DC however I need to listen 980AM. On the other hand, WJFK has one station with a very strong signal, easily listened to across the area. So people don't need to search for it. It's all there. And they are still failing. Of course CBS Radio (who owns WJFK) just gave almost the entire station new 3-year deals. Classic CBS. No clue what they're doing.

So the answer to the poll is, without a doubt, yes. WJFK is absolutely ****ed if the Skins get their ish together.

(And another ftr, I stopped listening to WJFK about 8 months ago. Then about 4 months ago, my little brother closed the garage door down on my car as I was backing out--broke my radio antennae off the car. So now 106.7--with it's super strong signal--is literally almost the only station I get. That's why I listen. God help me.

Seriously, many days, after about an 20 minutes of hearing the same, tired anti-Skins schtick, I turn off my radio completely and sit in boring ass traffic in complete silence. It is that bad.)

You should have just called this thread what it really is: "Is 106.7 genuinely concerned the Skins are getting their ish together?" I mean that's what you really meant and I doubt many would disagree. Well at least the people who actually have listened to 106.7. I just don't see how one can deny it.

Yes, predominately I was talking about 106.7, but there are others and I didn't want those examples to be excluded by narrowing it down to just one entity. Recently, there does seem as though there has been less negativity from the local media, with the exception of 106.7.

Yes, predominately I was talking about 106.7, but there are others and I didn't want those examples to be excluded by narrowing it down to just one entity. Recently, there does seem as though there has been less negativity from the local media, with the exception of 106.7.

I noticed after the City Paper lawsuit that a lot of newspapers journalists were joining forces with 106.7. Like literally appearing on the station and playing the same schtick. And then it carried over into their columns/blogs/tweets. Namely Dan Steinberg (which breaks my heart as he was amazing during the reign of Agent Zero.) Cindy Boren at the post is another one. **** I hate her. Most annoying twitter feed ever. And Jason Reid just sucks.

The bottom line, is I think some in the local media (in recent months predominately 106.7) will make less money if the Redskins are successful. They make their living off of always try to present the "yes, but" in everything the team does. Even the obviously positive moves the team makes are criticized and spun in a negative light.

The bottom line, is I think some in the local media (in recent months predominately 106.7) will make less money if the Redskins are successful. They make their living off of always try to present the "yes, but" in everything the team does. Even the obviously positive moves the team makes are criticized and spun in a negative light.

I tried to break it down for your thread but I think I ranted on a bit too long. I'm just passionate about radio and it bothers me what's become of 106.7. But yes, I agree with you 100%, obviously

I noticed after the City Paper lawsuit that a lot of newspapers journalists were joining forces with 106.7. Like literally appearing on the station and playing the same schtick. And then it carried over into their columns/blogs/tweets. Namely Dan Steinberg (which breaks my heart as he was amazing during the reign of Agent Zero.) Cindy Boren at the post is another one. **** I hate her. Most annoying twitter feed ever. And Jason Reid just sucks.

Jason Reid was another I was referring to. At one time, Sally Jenkins seemed to be overtly negative, but she has at least come to recognize the positive changes that have occurred in recent months.

That's all I ask for. When positive things happen. Discuss them, report them, and be fair and balanced in your assessment of the team.

The constant negativity drains all the fun out of rooting for a team. If you have no hope for success, what is the point of even paying attention?

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 02:46 AM ----------

I tried to break it down for your thread but I think I ranted on a bit too long. I'm just passionate about radio and it bothers me what's become of 106.7. But yes, I agree with you 100%, obviously

that's cool man, it's all good. I appreciate and understand where you are coming from.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 02:56 AM ----------

I have for the most part switched to 980 also. The signal isn't nearly as strong down here in So. MD as 106.7. I admit, I will listen in on 106.7 occasionally just to hear whatever that day's ***** and moan fest is, and it's always the same.

Something the team did the day before, (no matter what) and how much it sucks.

Archived