Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you think some in the media are genuinely concerned the Washington Redskins are getting their act together?

Painkiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Simple question? Yes or No

For me, it's YES. Lately, there has been even more "reaching" to try to find something, ANYTHING negative to report on the Washington Redskins. Opinions and rumor reported as "fact" is really getting old. Doesn't it seem like for some the perspective is ALWAYS negative? If there is nothing negative to report on, we'll create something negative.

My opinion anyway. :)

All news is propaganda, if it seems they are reaching, I'd say it's because of the lockout.

If this franchise does turn it around, they'll just generate more stories that sell for the league's most rabid fanbase. I don't think the W/L record has very much to do with this.

'

They don't need real news to write a story, so we don't have to be terrible on the field for them to spin up some speculation. Its their business and they do it everyday.

Nothing changes if the Skins start winning.

No not at all

I think that the media knows about this and other forums and the activity Redskins fans have online. So they intentionally kick our tires to get more hits online. The nastier the better.

If we won the superbowl this year I give us 2 months before the same "redskins bashing" we come to know would return

I get what you're putting down, but I wouldn't say they are concerned. I'd say they don't mind the easy coverage when we make big blunders and/or lose all the time. The McNabb/#92 fiascos will leave us with enough egg on our face that people in the media can choose to believe we're the "same ol' Skins". So be it.

I think if we managed to become a winner, or at least had a locker room filled with mostly team guys, I think the media would change their tune. It's really easy to write about things that are wrong and spew negativity and gossip. But when the Skins are winning, I'm sure the media wouldn't mind when we fans are not on their back and ripping on them for ripping on us.

Respect is not given, it's earned. Getting rid of the wrong type of guys... that'll help. But until we win and win consistently, we're always going to have a black eye in the media.

For over a generation of sports writers including almost all writers of the internet generation, the Redskins have pretty much been a laughingstock. The stories about the Redskins are pretty much boiler plate stories where they just insert names of the current players, coaches and staff. Pop in a some date specific stuff and you got a story ready for deadline. Also, as long as the Redskins stay down, they can put a blurb about the Redskins in almost any story about an available FA and since the Redskins have a large internet presence, it WILL get a lot of clicks thereby either allowing the writer to point to his notoriety or even make click money. Don't think they have a go to team like us if and when we ever get our act together. May not be too concerned over the near-term but smart ones are concerned about 1-2 years from now.

Honestly, I couldn't care less what the media thinks about the Redskins. We don't have a superstar player like Peyton or Brady. We're not the Steelers or Cowboys, so we don't get the spotlight of other teams. But that's understandable.

I only care if we actually have our act together. I care if the players have bought in and trust the management. Other than that, no one elses opinion matters.

One thing you have to remember is that the media's job is to talk about what is going on here.

But unfortunately, for the last 95 days they have been unable to because of the lockout. So certain stories have way more legs than they should, and last longer as well.

Once the lockout is lifted, I think (and hope) we go from the outhouse to the penthouse in coverage of this team.

All media is biased, but at the same time its not as long as we're a free press society. Say what u will about all the supposed bias, agenda, and hate for our team, but in reality its just a reflection of public opinion, a product of a free press.

The thing right now is to trash em and trash em good because they are terrible. If this team becomes anything like the 80s, do you realize how much bigger it would be? Because of the media, any superbowl wins would wipe the slate from the ones of Gibbs 1.0

Depends on the source. Some actually grew up in the DMV and are Skins fans while others just know how passionate skin's fans are and which buttons to push. Here's a tip, don't listen to 106.7 (sans the junkies) or anything that comes from TMZ's version of football, Florio.

With a term like "some" being used, I'd guess that the answer has to be yes, but I would bet not too many actually root against the Redskins.

Hey man, a general question gets a general answer.

I'd actual say most of them root against the Skins. I'm sure most of them have a favorite team and it's not the Skins, but I get the gist of your post.

Again, I'd say a handful are in the "I hate the Redskins and will refuse to find/write anything good about them" crowd.

Hey man, a general question gets a general answer.

I'd actual say most of them root against the Skins. I'm sure most of them have a favorite team and it's not the Skins, but I get the gist of your post.

Again, I'd say a handful are in the "I hate the Redskins and will refuse to find/write anything good about them" crowd.

and the question was meant to be general. I believe that most in the media don't have an axe to grind against the organization, but it is clear that some are going to "report" their negative spin on everything Redskins related no matter what.

I think its crazy that people legitimately believe that the "media" (as if every media group is part of some big conglomerate) are all in on some conspiracy.

I'm 23 years old. For as long as I can remember (I don't remember the 1st Joe Gibbs stint) the Redskins have been an absolute joke. Snyder or no Snyder, the Skins have been terrible. Don't blame the 'media' for the Skins being awful. We get kicked while we're down because its easy, not because people that are in the field of journalism hate the Redskins.

No, no one cares if we are 'getting our act together' or not. There isn't some yearly meeting of the members of the media where they discuss how they're going to talk **** about us. We've sucked for years and deserve most of the negative media attention we've received. If Shanny and Bruce Allen are truly a new direction and we end up being a more respectable organization in the future we'll get the credit we deserve, but this anti-mainstream sports media cult on ES has gotten out of control. While journalistic integrity has gone down the drain and Snyder is linked to every big name FA available, we sort of deserve the negative reporting. Lets give this new FO a chance to prove them wrong, but stop acting like people are having secret meetings to talk **** about us.

^^ I pretty much agree. We haven't been relevant enough for any media to waste their time on us.

Its not so much that, its the fact that we're (historically) such an important franchise....but we've been a complete joke for almost 20 years. The way that Snyder throws money around is laughable and we should be mocked for our lack of recent success. If we were the Bills or the Niners or any other important franchise the "media" would do the same thing.

I am well aware that we have insiders on this board like TK/jsteelz/lavarleap56(?) and they know more that most guys in the media do about the Skins. I know that there are awful reporters like JLC that have no idea what they're talking about. I'm also aware that there are local pundits/reporters/writers that do not like the Redkins (Wilbon/Wise/Chick Hernandez etc). That's whatever, I really don't care about that. However, the tinfoil hat bull**** that I see on here is insane. People seem to actually think that ESPN has a meeting every year and discusses how they're going to make fun of the Redskins. We've been awful for years and we deserve most of the negative coverage.

I think its crazy that people legitimately believe that the "media" (as if every media group is part of some big conglomerate) are all in on some conspiracy.

I'm 23 years old. For as long as I can remember (I don't remember the 1st Joe Gibbs stint) the Redskins have been an absolute joke. Snyder or no Snyder, the Skins have been terrible. Don't blame the 'media' for the Skins being awful. We get kicked while we're down because its easy, not because people that are in the field of journalism hate the Redskins.

No, no one cares if we are 'getting our act together' or not. There isn't some yearly meeting of the members of the media where they discuss how they're going to talk **** about us. We've sucked for years and deserve most of the negative media attention we've received. If Shanny and Bruce Allen are truly a new direction and we end up being a more respectable organization in the future we'll get the credit we deserve, but this anti-mainstream sports media cult on ES has gotten out of control. While journalistic integrity has gone down the drain and Snyder is linked to every big name FA available, we sort of deserve the negative reporting. Lets give this new FO a chance to prove them wrong, but stop acting like people are having secret meetings to talk **** about us.

The only person talking about secret meetings, and conspiracies is you. I never said that, and nobody else has either. Your assertion that the media "pick" on us because it's easy to do, is EXACTLY my point. It's become harder to do this, so now we get threads about idiots calling Kyle Shanahan a "control freak" because he wants his offense run properly. This is a bad thing why exactly?

It seems only a Redskins coach would have such ridiculous nonsense written about him. If you really don't think there are some in the media who stand to lose if the organization turns it around, you are being naive. I mean, WTF is 106.7 going to have to talk about?

The only person talking about secret meetings, and conspiracies is you. I never said that, and nobody else has either. Your assertion that the media "pick" on us because it's easy to do, is EXACTLY my point. It's become harder to do this, so now we get threads about idiots calling Kyle Shanahan a "control freak" because he wants his offense run properly. This is a bad thing why exactly?

It seems only a Redskins coach would have such ridiculous nonsense written about him. If you really don't think there are some in the media who stand to lose if the organization turns it around, you are being naive. I mean, WTF is 106.7 going to have to talk about?

I should have put a caveat in my posts that I wasn't directing them at you, because I don't know you personally and I don't know you posting history. PFT called Kyle a control freak, and PFT is about as reliable as my 80 year old grandmother who couldn't name a single starter on the Redskins. My point is still that we are a once proud franchise that has fallen on very hard times and has had an owner that used to throw money at most of his problems and has been (in the eyes of a non-Redskins fan) hilariously unsuccessful. Think about how you feel when Dallas loses, that's how a lot of people feel about us. I have met hundreds if not thousands of non-Skins fans who love to revel in our failure because of the amount of money Dan Snyder spends and the amount of attention we receive compared to other organizations with similar struggles.

So yeah, I'm standing by what I said. We have been awful, we were very important years ago and we have an owner that has attracted a lot of attention by spending lots of money and being impatient with coaches and players...we deserve to be laughed at. I want it to change, but until it does I'm not going to blame the 'media' for taking shots at us.

If Dan truly has turned a corner and backed off and will allow Shanny and Bruce to run the team without his intervention and we succeed and the 'media' still gets after us then we can discuss it, but we deserve most of what we've gotten.

Archived